Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can't get some games to work for the life of me >.<

Thanks

Default Can't get some games to work for the life of me >.<

Hey guys, I'm in a jam. I'm sorry if there's already a topic about this, if so feel free to move it. I'm just desperate for some help...

I'm having trouble trying to get 2 games to burn...and I've already wasted a few disc trying to get them to work. The games I'm trying to obtain on Record of Lodoss War and Skies of Arcadia. The problem is, no matter what I try, they just don't work. I've tried all the recommended settings on both Discjuggler and Alcohol120%. Record of Lodoss War burns, however doesn't play in my DC, it just loads up the DC intro and stops. Skies of Arcadia won't even burn. Which is leaving me to think, are there no good copies of these games anymore? I've gotten both of them from this site, and others and still no luck...Which would be a shame because I'd like some RPG's to play to keep me busy. If anyone has any info, that would be awesome...Thanks in advance.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by BaronVonBullsh-t View Post
    Hey guys, I'm in a jam. I'm sorry if there's already a topic about this, if so feel free to move it. I'm just desperate for some help...

I'm having trouble trying to get 2 games to burn...and I've already wasted a few disc trying to get them to work. The games I'm trying to obtain on Record of Lodoss War and Skies of Arcadia. The problem is, no matter what I try, they just don't work. I've tried all the recommended settings on both Discjuggler and Alcohol120%. Record of Lodoss War burns, however doesn't play in my DC, it just loads up the DC intro and stops. Skies of Arcadia won't even burn. Which is leaving me to think, are there no good copies of these games anymore? I've gotten both of them from this site, and others and still no luck...Which would be a shame because I'd like some RPG's to play to keep me busy. If anyone has any info, that would be awesome...Thanks in advance.
    If RoLW isn't self-booting you'll need a boot disc, you could make it self-booting. How big is SoA, if it's a full dump it may be too large to fit on a CD?
    Last edited by Slacker Magician; 2nd-April-2011 at 22:31.

Getting around to it... | Available via Retroshare 16/7.

Thanks

Hmm I should of specified this in the OP. RoLW doesn't boot up with the boot disc either. It just stays at the spiral screen =/. As far as SoA I hear there's a copy that isn't meant for burning and one that is, and I've tried all of them out there and non of them burn, they pretty much quit 10 seconds in. Because of these two games, I'm down to 4 disk out of ten pack I bought, so I'm afraid to use anymore on them =/. I was really looking forward to playing SoA but I've looked on several forums sites, and they all basically come to the conclusion there isn't a burnable copy, i mean there are some cases that they manage to work, but I really don't see how. I'm burning all my games the way they're supposed to be at. Nothing has worked...It's certainly not my dreamcast consider i just got Starwars Episode 1 Pod racing the other day and played it.

EDIT: and yes I'm burning at the lowest speed, using raw/dao, overburn etc etc.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Hmm I should of specified this in the OP. RoLW doesn't boot up with the boot disc either. It just stays at the spiral screen =/. As far as SoA I hear there's a copy that isn't meant for burning and one that is, and I've tried all of them out there and non of them burn, they pretty much quit 10 seconds in. Because of these two games, I'm down to 4 disk out of ten pack I bought, so I'm afraid to use anymore on them =/. I was really looking forward to playing SoA but I've looked on several forums sites, and they all basically come to the conclusion there isn't a burnable copy, i mean there are some cases that they manage to work, but I really don't see how. I'm burning all my games the way they're supposed to be at. Nothing has worked...It's certainly not my dreamcast consider i just got Starwars Episode 1 Pod racing the other day and played it.

EDIT: and yes I'm burning at the lowest speed, using raw/dao, overburn etc etc.
    There is no reason to have overburn on that I know of. You may as well burn at a faster speed while you're at it. Link me to the threads for the games and I'll test them if you'd like?

Getting around to it... | Available via Retroshare 16/7.

Thanks

EP - SoA

EP - ROLW

dcisozone SoA

dcisozone - ROLW

Anything ideas would help...Though I'll try to get some more disk tomorrow since they're fairly cheap. Until then I'm pretty much out of disk now =(

Thanks
    EP Points

I'd recommend getting Echelon's original release of Skies of Arcadia if you can, rather than all of the repacks that are floating around...

Thanks

as long as i can burn it onto a CD-R and play on my dreamcast, otherwise i'm wasting my time. I don't want it for emulators, since I have a perfectly good DC waitin' to get its game on and that's all i really seem to find SoA for is the emulators, which sucks bigger balls than yukozuno.

Thanks
    EP Points

I didn't say get a Tosec version or a GDI, I said get Echelon's original release of Skies of Arcadia.

Thanks

As far as I know, that's what I've been getting. Even the file says something along the lines of "SoA-ECH". And from what I read in various forums, a lot of the Echelon releases for SoA floatin' around were only meant for emulation and not for burn use on the DC. Which is pretty lame.

Also, there's still the issue with RoLW...It burns, but won't run, and I've used a boot disc just in case, nothing.

Theses are the two worst files I've ever encountered with this...>.< Wish I had the money, I'd just buy the god damn games off e-Bay

I dunno, I hope I can work something out with these, because I'd like an engaging RPG to play, since all I really have are games that keep my attention for at least a half hour. Mainly Arcade ports. Then again I only have two CD's left and I don't know if I'll be able to obtain anymore this weekend - geh

Thanks
    EP Points

All of Echelon's releases were intended to be used on original hardware. No one was emulating Dreamcast games in 99-2001 when Echelon were releasing shit.

Thanks

Just about everything I came across regarding SoA and Echelon says for Emulation use only. It's pretty much just a GD-Rom dump. I've tried every file from dcisozone.com, and the one posted on this site as well, using multiple brands of cd's I've had lying around, verbatim, memorex, and phillips. Using A-120% and Discjuggler and for the hell of it, Nero on all the recommended settings for burning. However, I highly doubt it's the medium that I'm using, considering they've worked for just about everything else I've gotten.

Also not to mention doing extensive searching for the past year (this isn't my first attempt at trying to obtain this game) the problem seems to be extremely common with SoA, especially the Echelon release (let alone seems to be the only release out), some say you need a patch, or direct you to a "patched" version and still I get this problem.

I've come here for help, and you haven't contributed anything. I know I know, you're not required to help anyone in a forum, but if you're not even going to offer a link to where I can get a good copy, or even offer some good advice, then why are you here? I'm not here to argue, or bullshit. I'm just a DC-er trying to get my game on. I've stated my problems, even provided links to where I've obtained these copies, hoping to get some help and so far the only person who has remotely offered any kind of assistance is
    Shardnax. So either you can help me or say I'm full of shit and passive aggressively say I have no idea what I'm talking about. When this past week alone I've done nothing but look for a good burnable copy of this game and found none, through extensive google search and forum searching. More time on it then someone should. If you don't want to help, find another thread to BS in, other wise if you have a magic cure all that will solve all my woes, then by all means, divulge.

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Sky's of Arcadia grab the PAL version that was the only one ripped for for normal CD-R, there is a NTSC rip for 99 min CD's but I never got that version to even boot, though have booted my own rips but never got round to doing more that a little of disc 1, I have the game on the Game Cube aswell so may never continue it

burn with Discjuggler or latest version of IMGburn with the discjuggler support file (thats if it's in cdi format otherwise just use whatever the file format is made for [of you must alcohol personly never burned a DC game with alcohol]), read this for more info on imgburn (strongly recomend imgburn just because it's easy to use)

Yes the Echelon version works on real hardware it was created by them before any DC emu came out and was created just for console use it is not a direct GD dump and has on the fly extraction that does make the game lag though, this personly I hated, there may of been a little confusion on your side due to patches that make the Echelon version work with emulation, that is a little different from it being made just for emulation (pre patched versions have obviously been released for DL).

incase you wonder about my info I have tested many games on my dreamcast, here is my VGA testing all from CD-R burned games (would upload mine but don't have a great deal of time on my hands at the moment)

Record of Lodoss War I would just request a selfboot copy in the appropriate section here at EP I know my copy is selfboot but I may of made it selfboot myself I honestly don't remember, do the same for skies of Arcadia specify you want the Echelon version, unpatched copy/copy that was not patched for emu use.

Also might be worth checking out your dreamcast model to see if it has issues with certain types of selfboot CD's aka Mil-CD's (info found here)

Hope that covers everything if not ask away, I'm sure someone will be willing to help.
    Last edited by Zorlon; 3rd-April-2011 at 21:23.

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks

I recently downloaded the PAL version however with no luck on that either with discjuggler. So now I'm really at a loss. I'm wondering if either the file i got was corrupted or not since they've been floatin' around for awhile. I haven't tried IMGburn though, but will that be more successful? Or is that really an issue? All the burner software I've used I'm familiar with so it's not like they're difficult at all to deal with but I'll give that one a shot too.

My DC is a region 1 so I don't have any problems with boot disc since I have some games that require one anyways. I don't even care if it does require one. I just want the damn thing to work ya know?

As far as the VGA goes, I'm not to concerned with that right now since I don't really have an HDTV at the moment, however, i'm sure the info will come in handy in the future though.

Thanks, this has been pretty damn useful. I don't know how much success I will get getting these games to work since all the failed attempts put a lot of doubt in me, but I'll give it one last shot.

EDIT: Well, no luck with IMGburn, however, it did burn, but it's acting up like Record of Lodoss war, it won't go past the spiral screen, and wont load with boot disc. I admit, it's a lot farther then I got before, but I'm still back at 0....and no disc...-.-'
    Last edited by BaronVonBullsh-t; 4th-April-2011 at 00:26.

Thanks
    EP Points

i recommend to burn with alcohol 120 versions 1.9.6 or 1.9.8, trial version will do. i always burn my dc isos with a120 and they ALWAYS work. just select cdi and burn at 4x-12x speed on default settings. make sure to have overburn selected in options just in case. if they still dont work, i suggest to find orars for the games to make sure they arent corrupted or patched somehow

use tdk, sony or verbatim cdr. if still dont work you might need to calibrate the laser
    Last edited by pSydeFX; 4th-April-2011 at 22:22.

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

I recently downloaded the PAL version however with no luck on that either with discjuggler. So now I'm really at a loss. I'm wondering if either the file i got was corrupted or not since they've been floatin' around for awhile. I haven't tried IMGburn though, but will that be more successful? Or is that really an issue? All the burner software I've used I'm familiar with so it's not like they're difficult at all to deal with but I'll give that one a shot too.

My DC is a region 1 so I don't have any problems with boot disc since I have some games that require one anyways. I don't even care if it does require one. I just want the damn thing to work ya know?

As far as the VGA goes, I'm not to concerned with that right now since I don't really have an HDTV at the moment, however, i'm sure the info will come in handy in the future though.

Thanks, this has been pretty damn useful. I don't know how much success I will get getting these games to work since all the failed attempts put a lot of doubt in me, but I'll give it one last shot.

EDIT: Well, no luck with IMGburn, however, it did burn, but it's acting up like Record of Lodoss war, it won't go past the spiral screen, and wont load with boot disc. I admit, it's a lot farther then I got before, but I'm still back at 0....and no disc...-.-'
    It could very well be the media itself though any brand should work great provided your dreamcast laser is fine tuned for CD-R use, if I get a bit more time I will upload my copy of both games for you, the vga list was just to show that I had both games running (I don't have HD yet either I use a PC monitor with my Dreamcast).

The only thing I could advise more on is burning speed and setting that to the slowest possible for your burner/cd media, setting the burning speed slower than the burner/media is made for wont do any harm imgburn aswell as most other burning software will auto change to the burners/medias slowest burn speed.

imgburn does the job best as far as I can tell but I admit it was only very recently that it can burn cdi images and have yet to test more that what I needed to reburn due to older cd's being scratched or just missing, otherwise I have always use discjuggler or nero for the very few that could at the time only be burned with nero like D-2 that was a cd 99min rip, never used/needed alcohol personly.
    Last edited by Zorlon; 4th-April-2011 at 21:47.

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR