Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dreamcast Backups

Thanks
    EP Points

Default Dreamcast Backups

Just bought myself a Dreamcast from a market �12 with 2 Controllers,Soul Calibur & Chu Chu Rocket Bargain eh if it works lol.
    Just wondering if theres anything that I specifically need to play backups that I will download.
    Thanks
    Raz

Thanks
    EP Points

It's all about the manufacture date, so long as you have a Dreamcast with a manufacture date BEFORE November 2000 you'll be fine. �12 is a great bargain, I might have to go out a'huntin Dweamcasts

Thanks
    EP Points

Maybe you'll need a bootdisc for some games, but most of the games released here are self-boots, or the releaser will note that you need to use Utopia.
    And yes, it's really important you get a Dreamcast manufactured before November 2000.

Thanks
    EP Points

Well it's working fine just been playing Soul Calibur. But wheres the nunchaku guy (My Fav from Soul Edge)Mitsurigi :-( I didn't think it was working at first as in the settings it was set on AutoStart & wouldnt run a CD but when I turned that option off it worked fine.Yeah I remember Sprung saying something about the manufacture date a while back. I think I remember him saying that the Date would be on the bottom but there doesn't seem to be any Dates there. How would you find out the Date ? When I first turned it on it asked me to set the current Date & Time but it was set at the default of November 1998. Is this to early for DC?
    Also if its Manufactured after Nov 2000 can you play the Backups with the Utopia Boot Disc ?
    Thanks for your help so far guys

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by _Raziel_
    Well it's working fine just been playing Soul Calibur. But wheres the nunchaku guy (My Fav from Soul Edge)Mitsurigi :-( I didn't think it was working at first as in the settings it was set on AutoStart & wouldnt run a CD but when I turned that option off it worked fine.Yeah I remember Sprung saying something about the manufacture date a while back. I think I remember him saying that the Date would be on the bottom but there doesn't seem to be any Dates there. How would you find out the Date ? When I first turned it on it asked me to set the current Date & Time but it was set at the default of November 1998. Is this to early for DC?
    Also if its Manufactured after Nov 2000 can you play the Backups with the Utopia Boot Disc ?
    Thanks for your help so far guys
    Flip the DC over, the service tag is on the bottom. Looks like this:

The manufacture date is printed on there...the sticker has stripes of silver and black...the date is printed on the last silver stripe before the botom of the sticker (above the last black one).

If the DC was made on or after Nov 2000, you will have a very hard time finding backup games that will play on it. There are a few, but it isn't really worth it (I can't think of any offhand...) Having the boot disc won't help either, as it is a burned disc

Thanks
    EP Points

Hmmm mines different to that underneath (The base is metal)but I can't see any date at all on any of that label unfortunately. I have a suspicion it could be have been made after Nov 2000, as I downloaded the Looney Tunes game you posted Sprung, Thanks btw
    I mounted it using daemon tools & just did CD to CD using Nero (Does that work with DC games?) & the disc just seems to spin longer than normal then when I click play it says to insert game disc.
    Can't burn with Alcohol at the min for some reason it just won't load.
    If I burnt it wrong I'll try again tomorrow maybe mount it then make a bin & cue if that will work.
    I mean if its a newer one I'm not to bothered for what I paid I'll get enough enjoyment out of Soul Calibur alone but theres a hell of a lot of good titles out there available for Download these days so I may still look for an older one.

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Euro Dreamcasts are all able to play backups but US ones yeah it depends when they got made

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks
    EP Points

Well it is a PAL Dreamcast so I should be able to play backups on it then. I must of burnt the Disc wrong. Is it ok to mount using Daemon & then make a bin & cue using iso buster for DC images?

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

All PAL DC's play backups fine just none boots need Utopia, I have yet to have a game I have failed to make a working selfboot of.

Thats a big no as DC selfboots use dual Sessions and bin/cue files don't support that.
    For none boots that will be fine but you will still need to burn the Utopia boot CD for none boots and that also uses 2 sessions.

Get yourself DiscJuggler for CDI's, the free version of DiscJuggler will only restrict on speed so you can only burn at the slowest your burner can go and you needn't worry about any settings with that either, burning at the slowest speed is a good thing anyway
    Last edited by Zorlon; 10th-December-2004 at 00:35.

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks
    EP Points

Oh right didn't know that. Is there any other way I can burn an alcohol image without using alcohol then? Could I mount it & make a cloneCD image?

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Use DJ that should work from the Daemon drive, I can't remember if CloneCD supports 2 sessions or not (I think it does just don't remember off the top of my head at the mo, if it does then yeah it should work)

DJ just seems to be the best out of all the burners for DC Game burning out of what I have tried.

Small note for DJ I almost forgot about, if you are asked to repair a CD image for burning always say no, if you say yes, you will get a coaster burned
    Last edited by Zorlon; 10th-December-2004 at 00:46.

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Small note for DJ I almost forgot about, if you are asked to repair a CD image for burning always say no, if you say yes, you will get a coaster burned

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]

Thanks
    EP Points

CloneCD does support multi sessions.

Thanks
    EP Points

Right well I made a Disc of Utopia using Disc Juggler popped it into the console & it read it. Then i clicked on Play & it restarted & loaded up with a Reindeer spinning around screen saying insert backup.
    So I guess I should be ok then for playing backups ?
    Thanks for all the info & help on this folks
    Much appreciated

Mikey_ Guest

not all games released or even mentioned here are self boot. like resident evil code veronica. the 2nd disc won't work and i burned it using different programs for diff copies