Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Why is PCSX2 so resource hungry?

Shooting Sonic Booms and Flash Kicking Scrubs into submission
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,774 Times in 750 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Xigmas View Post
    I'm already using the 1.5.0 build. I'm pretty much with the general consensus that my pc isn't quite up to snuff. I've got more ram and a better video card lined up just need the money. Also have a PC build ready for when i actually have the $1k to afford it lol. I've been over the pcsx2 forums and read the post on why pcsx2 needs the hardware it does to run correctly, something i should have done probably before posting this thread..Thanks for all the help!
    So what part is not up to snuff?

Your CPU is pretty much in the same boat as mine I believe.

If you wish to learn anything else I know (like RetroArch) then please feel free to ask as I am always willing to spread the word.
    THE BEST METHOD to run PSX games (and everything else for that matter) is via Retroarch - http://buildbot.libretro.com/nightly/
    If you have any questions on how to set it up on Windows please feel free to ask, its very easy.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Warrior For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Warrior View Post
    So what part is not up to snuff?

Your CPU is pretty much in the same boat as mine I believe.

If you wish to learn anything else I know (like RetroArch) then please feel free to ask as I am always willing to spread the word.
    Idk, probably my video card for starters, its only a 512MB card with a low clock speed, 600mhz i think. I've tried using all sorts of different settings; Speed hacks on/off, D3D9 hardware/software, and checked and unchecked the available boxes all leading to the same problem: Ridiculously slow game speed.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Idk, probably my video card for starters, its only a 512MB card with a low clock speed, 600mhz i think. I've tried using all sorts of different settings; Speed hacks on/off, D3D9 hardware/software, and checked and unchecked the available boxes all leading to the same problem: Ridiculously slow game speed.
    Hardware can't run D3D11?

I noticed last night when I was running some of my games that the performance differs from D3D and OpenGL Video settings.

I bet once they make a Vulkan renderer its going to get MUCH better.

I hope you can get your desired parts soon and beef up that machine, It was insane when I did my first ever PC surgery and transplantation but the differences were like night and day.
    THE BEST METHOD to run PSX games (and everything else for that matter) is via Retroarch - http://buildbot.libretro.com/nightly/
    If you have any questions on how to set it up on Windows please feel free to ask, its very easy.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Warrior For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Warrior View Post
    Hardware can't run D3D11?

I noticed last night when I was running some of my games that the performance differs from D3D and OpenGL Video settings.

I bet once they make a Vulkan renderer its going to get MUCH better.

I hope you can get your desired parts soon and beef up that machine, It was insane when I did my first ever PC surgery and transplantation but the differences were like night and day.
    Yea, i tried D3D11 and it actually gave me the blue screen of death lol.
    Yea i'm in the process of getting a job so hopefully i get it and the first few paychecks are goin straight into my pc lol

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Yea, i tried D3D11 and it actually gave me the blue screen of death lol.
    Oh God man that sucks, have you ran any testing software to see what your hardware is capable of?

If you have MalwareBytes or something else like it that loves to conflict with the OS then that may be why it BSODs, you should see if your hardware supports D3D11.

Tools like this are useful at giving you information about your hardware - http://www.geeks3d.com/20160526/gpu-...ulkan-support/

Its not for DirectX though.

Yea i'm in the process of getting a job so hopefully i get it and the first few paychecks are goin straight into my pc lol
    It will be a enlightening experience getting hands on with your machine.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Warrior For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

The 9600 GT is a DX10 card. I'd shelf PS2 emulation until you build a new PC, even with upgrading your GPU and OC'ing your CPU you aren't going to get much more performance out of your current hardware.

If you want to look up specs quickly and easily I'd recommend the database over at TPU:
    https://www.techpowerup.com/gpudb/

Most specs don't translate across architecture though so it's best to also look up reviews.
    Last edited by Slacker Magician; 2nd-August-2016 at 03:59.

Getting around to it... | Available via Retroshare 16/7.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Slacker Magician For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Оak View Post
    The 9600 GT is a DX10 card. I'd shelf PS2 emulation until you build a new PC, even with upgrading your GPU and OC'ing your CPU you aren't going to get much more performance out of your current hardware.

If you want to look up specs quickly and easily I'd recommend the database over at TPU:
    https://www.techpowerup.com/gpudb/

Most specs don't translate across architecture though so it's best to also look up reviews.
    Well the best card i can get is a GeForce GT 730, which is a 4GB DX12 card. Combine that with another 4GB ram, you say it wont help any?

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Well the best card i can get is a GeForce GT 730, which is a 4GB DX12 card. Combine that with another 4GB ram, you say it wont help any?
    More RAM will help your overall system performance but, it's not going to do anything for PCSX2. Any nVidia card under x50 (650, 750, 950, etc.) should be ignored, they're a waste of money.

Edit: If you can't wait to do a new build I'd advise buying used. Make sure your PSU can handle the load if you do. Do you close everything else before running PCSX2 or Dolphin?
    Last edited by Slacker Magician; 2nd-August-2016 at 20:21.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Slacker Magician For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Well the 750 is for PCI 3.0 which i dont have. the 730 is the highest one i can get for 2.0. I don't see how a huge upgrade from 512mb to 4gb would be pointless. If it doesn't run the emulator any better i'd be seriously surprised. But if it doesn't i'm sure itll run actual PC games a lot better than what i can run now if anything. When i run either emulator i have everything else closed except for virus/ad protection programs which i never close out of the taskbar no matter what.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

The PCIe specification is backwards compatible, meaning you can use a PCIe 3.0 card with a PCIe 2.0 slot (or even PCIe 1.1) and vice versa. It also has an enormous amount of bandwidth, if you've got a PCIe 2.0x16 slot the difference is negligible with a much more powerful card than the 750.

You can read more about it and look at the results for several games:
    https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/...press_Scaling/
    https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/...press_Scaling/
    http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages..._review,1.html

The amount of memory a card has isn't the only contributor to performance. The GTX 750 1GB would trounce the 730 GT.

Edit: I seriously can't stress it enough, the GT line of cards are nothing but a waste of money.
    Last edited by Slacker Magician; 3rd-August-2016 at 01:00.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Slacker Magician For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Huh. I wasn't quite sure that 3.0 could fit in a 2.0, but that's good to know. I thought i was stuck using 2.0 compatible cards. I don't think i'll bother saving for a 980..but maybe a 950/960 since they're only around $200. But what about the power connections? Old pc only has those colored 4 pin connectors..do newer cards account for that?
    Last edited by Xigmas; 3rd-August-2016 at 02:06.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Those reviews used the 980 because as a more powerful card it's going to saturate slot bandwidth better. I wasn't suggesting you buy the 980, though at $200 the 950/960 seem dubious at best. GPUs have long since moved away from molex connections, as they should, you'll want a new PSU even if you get a used card from an older series. Buying a new card will end up with your CPU being the bottleneck in newer games. All in all, I still think you're much better off setting aside money for a new build over upgrading your current.

I'd suggest checking out dedicated PC hardware sites like Guru3D, TechPowerUp, Toms Hardware, and HardOCP to name a few. OCN is quite good as mega-forums go. The users are respectful of budgets (though they'll rightfully advise expanding it in some cases) and there are lots of knowledgeable members.
    http://www.overclock.net/f/
    http://www.overclock.net/t/183810/fa...power-supplies

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Slacker Magician For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Yea i figured as much. Well it'll be a long time before I can afford a new build but i agree its definitely needed at this point. I've already got a build setup on newegg. Thanks for all the info.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

If you really feel the need to upgrade I'd advise keeping it at $200 or less total. That's enough to get an alright GPU (videocard) and a decent to good power supply (PSU). Just keep in mind that whatever you spend upgrading an aging rig. is money you could've thrown at a new one .

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Slacker Magician For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Here is the PCSX2 Requirements ,

Minimum (most games will be unplayable slow)

Windows/Linux OS
    CPU: Any that supports SSE2 (Pentium 4 and up, Athlon64 and up)
    GPU: Any that supports Pixel Shader model 2.0, except Nvidia FX series (broken SM2.0, too slow anyway)
    512MB RAM (note that Windows Vista needs at least 2GB to run reliably)

Recommended

Windows Vista / Windows 7 (32bit or 64bit) with the latest DirectX
    CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo @ 3.2 GHz or better OR i3/i5/i7 @ 2,8 GHz or better OR AMD Phenom II @ 3,2 GHz or better
    GPU: 8800gt or better (for Direct3D10 support)
    RAM: 1GB on Linux/Windows XP, 2GB or more on Vista / Windows 7

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Warrior For This Useful Post: