Thread: Problem running isos on PCSX2

Thanks

Default Problem running isos on PCSX2

Hi all, I'm really new to the world of emulators and such, and I think I'm in over my head.

I've spent most of today downloading and attempting to work PCSX2 and the compatible iso. It looks to me like the emulator itself is installed and working correctly, complete with bios, but I can't load any games. I've got the Kingdom Hearts (USA) iso that is available here on EMUParadise, but when I try to open it I receive the error message "File Not Found. Path: ISO File System."

I'm not computer-savy enough to understand exactly what that message is telling me, so I've looked online and found several (usually out-dated) advice forums or tutorials that all seem to indicate the problem should be fixed by opening the iso following the steps CDVD>>iso selector>>Kingdom Hears, then System>>boot CDVD(full). When I follow these steps I get the same error message.

Some other people also talked about putting the iso file onto a disk to fix the problem? I have no idea how best to go about that, and if I'm being honest, would rather avoid having to rely on a disk- hence the decision to dabble in emulators in the first place.

Random bits of advice have also included things like file location or type. I can move the file location, but so far apparently haven't found a new location that makes any sort of improvement. The game file type is '.7z,' but I don't really understand the stuff enough to know what that means, how to change it, or what to change it to.

Thanks a bunch for reading. I'd really appreciate help on this problem from more experienced gamers

(Also- What does it mean to "extract" a file? I keep seeing that term, but it's over my head apparently. Sorry I'm so clueless!)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,580 Times in 1,219 Posts
    EP Points

The .iso image is inside an archive (.7z).

Use the latest version of 7zip beta to extract the .iso from the archive.
    http://www.7-zip.org/
    7-Zip 15.06 beta at the top right of that page.

Spoiler warning:

3. The Following User Says Thank You to deadlegion For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Thanks for the reply

I already had 7-zip, but I went ahead and downloaded the newer beta version just to be sure. It's not letting me extract the file though. What does it mean that "the file cannot be opened as an archive"?
    I'm attaching screen shots of the extraction menu so maybe someone can recognize if all the options and such are correct, also a screenshot of the new error message.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Untitled.jpg 
Views:	131 
Size:	87.1 KB 
ID:	46314

Name:	Untitled2.jpg 
Views:	104 
Size:	90.3 KB 
ID:	46315

Thanks
    Thanked 2,580 Times in 1,219 Posts
    EP Points

Try redownloading the archive again, it may have been corrupted during download.

Spoiler warning:

6. The Following User Says Thank You to deadlegion For This Useful Post:

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

as above your download is corrupt

if you are having problems downloading the larger files then I will recommend using a download manager such as www.freedownloadmanager.org to download large files with, it has auto resume so if your connection does drop the files will continue to fully download regardless

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Zorlon For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Could problems with the wifi be what's corrupting the files? I just tried to download a different game, but am getting the same results. My wifi is not what you'd call reliable and disconnects fairly often, so that would make sense...
    If that's the case, how does a download manager help?

Thanks
    EP Points

Download manager will keep your file as it is even with a small connection problem. You can use that download manager or just download it as a torrent if you can, both should work.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to zeroarcanus For This Useful Post:

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Download Managers just rusume a download if the connection drops or even if it stops totally if will resume the download until all of the file is fully downloaded

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Zorlon For This Useful Post:

Thanks

That did it!

Thanks for all the help!

When I open an iso on pcsx2, it launches okay but won't proceed past the system browser screen, like it recognizes there's a file there but won't actually read it.

Any tips?

Name:	Untitled3.jpg 
Views:	110 
Size:	61.0 KB 
ID:	46410
    Last edited by Jackhammer; 10th-September-2015 at 21:53. Reason: Merged threads

Thanks
    EP Points

Boot cd/dvd fast instead of full. May do it.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Zaladane For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Ok, hopefully last question:

The game is running, but there's an awful lag on the video and audio. The 2 seem to be in sync, they're just crazy slow. I don't think I could actually play like this. are there settings I can change to make it more up to speed?

Shooting Sonic Booms and Flash Kicking Scrubs into submission
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,774 Times in 750 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

You must be underpowered then.

http://wiki.pcsx2.net/index.php/Kingdom_Hearts

http://buildbot.orphis.net/pcsx2/

Use the latest builds for better stability.
    THE BEST METHOD to run PSX games (and everything else for that matter) is via Retroarch - http://buildbot.libretro.com/nightly/
    If you have any questions on how to set it up on Windows please feel free to ask, its very easy.

Thanks
    EP Points

You can also try enabling the speed hacks like mtvu (checkbox) and there are two sliders you can increase as well but the more you do the more chance of graphics glitches. You can also try software mode instead of dx9/10 etc.

What are your PC specs btw?

Kingdom Hearts isn't the most demanding of PS2 games to emulate so if that won't run not much else will.