Thread: Help! My laptop won't charge...

Thanks

Default Help! My laptop won't charge...

Alright, I'll begin describing the problem...

I went and turned on my laptop —Lenovo G460, almost 4-5 years old— to play some Diablo II (I found my ol' CD in my closet) on it all day, so I was in the middle of collecting some chipped & flawed gems while finishing the Horadric quest and kicking some monster arse with my Amazon when I found my laptop's battery almost drained out... So there it was, sitting in front of me blinking red, I go and grab it's respectful AC adapter and inserted it's jack (sorry, don't know what it's called) into my laptop's outlet expecting it to go and charge my laptop, only to find out that it ISN'T! I tried restarting my laptop and inserting and removing the jack but to no avail, it still won't charge. I also tried removing the battery to see if my laptop will turn on, but it didn't. (Y^Y)

More on this:
    Yesterday, I went and inserted the charger's jack into my laptop, and it CHARGED. So I waited until the battery is 100% then removed the jack from my laptop. I went and finished the quest yesterday and I saved and quit my game. It's battery is almost drained, then I went and inserted the jack, you guessed it, my laptop's not charging. I went and shut down my laptop and unplug the charger, then left it overnight. This morning, I found out that I can charge my computer again. I'm afraid that I won't get to use it later once I remove the jack so I'm posting my problem here.

I need some help, and I'm sorry if I posted this on the wrong section, though I believe I did not.
    Thank you in advance for your help! (n_n)

My lappy's specs if needed:
    Spoiler warning:

Operating System
    Windows 7 Starter 32-bit SP1

CPU
    Intel Pentium P6200 @ 2.13GHz
    Arrandale 32nm Technology

RAM
    2.00GB Single-Channel DDR3 @ 532MHz (7-7-7-20)

Motherboard
    LENOVO Base Board Product Name (CPU)

Graphics
    W1942 1440x900@60Hz)
    512MB NVIDIA GeForce 310M (Lenovo)

Hard Drives
    466GB Western Digital WDC WD5000BEVT-24A0RT0 ATA Device (SATA)

Optical Drives
    DTSOFT Virtual CdRom Device
    Slimtype DVD A DS8A4S ATA Device

Audio
    High Definition Audio Device

I got these results from a trusty and free software, Speccy.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,580 Times in 1,219 Posts
    EP Points

Remove the battery and just use the laptop off the power pack (charger). I'm not sure what the problem is but it could be a faulty battery.

If it runs fine without the battery in it (test it for a few days) then buy a new battery off ebay or whatever, you might be able to get one cheap from China/Hong Kong.
    Or if you don't need it to be portable just keep using it without the battery. Only thing is if you suffer from a lot of brown/blackouts you'll lose whatever you're doing, but it's no different to a desktop that doesn't have UPS.

Spoiler warning:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by deadlegion View Post
    Remove the battery and just use the laptop off the power pack (charger). I'm not sure what the problem is but it could be a faulty battery.

If it runs fine without the battery in it (test it for a few days) then buy a new battery off ebay or whatever, you might be able to get one cheap from China/Hong Kong.
    Or if you don't need it to be portable just keep using it without the battery. Only thing is if you suffer from a lot of brown/blackouts you'll lose whatever you're doing, but it's no different to a desktop that doesn't have UPS.
    I forgot to mention your point in my first post. I originally run my laptop without the battery, but because it turns off sometimes (I believe it's because of the charger), I went and inserted its battery. I believe it's either the charger overheats or its jack is faulty... Though I'm not sure, I'm gonna ask a few friends if they have a compatible charger with my G460 and try their chargers, but I doubt they do have one 'cause most of them are using computers and the few who are using laptops are mainly using Neo or Acer.

Thanks for the reply though. I'll post back as soon as I finish trying my idea. (n_n)
    Last edited by theassassin02; 11th-May-2014 at 04:10.

Thanks
    EP Points

With a laptop that old it's more likely that the jack ("outlet") in the laptop has gone bad than that the charger itself is bad, especially if it sometimes charges and other times doesn't. The easiest way to test this would be to try a different charger as you mentioned; maybe see if you have any local computer shops that might have a proper charger you can test at the store (non-chain shops are probably your best bet, places like Best Buy probably won't let you do this).

If you do manage to narrow it down to being the jack, it's actually almost always a very cheap fix assuming you do it yourself or know someone who can solder. Replacement power jacks normally only cost a few bucks (best bet is to look online), and it's just a few pins to desolder then resolder.
    Last edited by MaslowK; 11th-May-2014 at 06:54.
    "I think that the problem with this video is it is highly derivative of many popular bands within the genre. Although when viewed on its own merits, it does have a deeper groove. However what it has in groove, it lacks in originality. One can't help but be reminded of such bands as Pearl Jam, White Zombie, Suicidal Tendencies and other bands that bear the mantle of so called "Alternative Rock". One is even reminded of Lorie Anderson when she wore curlers. Hehehmhm! This video speaks less to the heart and more to the sphincter. In closing, I think Korn would do well to learn more from -"

5. The Following User Says Thank You to MaslowK For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,580 Times in 1,219 Posts
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by theassassin02 View Post
    I forgot to mention your point in my first post. I originally run my laptop without the battery, but because it turns off sometimes (I believe it's because of the charger), I went and inserted its battery. I believe it's either the charger overheats or its jack is faulty... Though I'm not sure, I'm gonna ask a few friends if they have a compatible charger with my G460 and try their chargers, but I doubt they do have one 'cause most of them are using computers and the few who are using laptops are mainly using Neo or Acer.

Thanks for the reply though. I'll post back as soon as I finish trying my idea. (n_n)
    Doesn't matter what laptop they use, if the jack is the same and the power rating is the same it'll work for testing.
    Info will be on the power brick.

Example:
    Download Links:
    Links are hidden from guests. Please register to be able to view these links. The first line is how much "grunt" the power supply has. Probably not relevant because you can run different ratings of this on the same laptop model in my experience. But if you're paranoid then stick to the same rating or a little less than the original. Pretty sure I recall running an old lenovo/IBM years back off both 60-something and 90W power supplies

The second line is what mains power it runs off (you don't need to worry about this really, it'll be the same maybe with a different amps rating).

The last line is what power it delivers through your laptop jack, this is the one you need to worry about. It needs to be the same voltage rating, and the amps rating should be the same too.
    Although if the voltage and amps ratings are both a little less on the borrowed power supply it'll probably work.

Spoiler warning:

7. The Following User Says Thank You to deadlegion For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MaslowK View Post
    With a laptop that old it's more likely that the jack ("outlet") in the laptop has gone bad than that the charger itself is bad, especially if it sometimes charges and other times doesn't. The easiest way to test this would be to try a different charger as you mentioned; maybe see if you have any local computer shops that might have a proper charger you can test at the store (non-chain shops are probably your best bet, places like Best Buy probably won't let you do this).

If you do manage to narrow it down to being the jack, it's actually almost always a very cheap fix assuming you do it yourself or know someone who can solder. Replacement power jacks normally only cost a few bucks (best bet is to look online), and it's just a few pins to desolder then resolder.
    I guess so, but do you have any accurate answer/guess on how much the process costs? Can you tell me it's ranges or so?

Quote Originally Posted by deadlegion View Post
    Doesn't matter what laptop they use, if the jack is the same and the power rating is the same it'll work for testing.
    Info will be on the power brick.

Example:
    Download Links:
    Links are hidden from guests. Please register to be able to view these links. The first line is how much "grunt" the power supply has. Probably not relevant because you can run different ratings of this on the same laptop model in my experience. But if you're paranoid then stick to the same rating or a little less than the original. Pretty sure I recall running an old lenovo/IBM years back off both 60-something and 90W power supplies

The second line is what mains power it runs off (you don't need to worry about this really, it'll be the same maybe with a different amps rating).

The last line is what power it delivers through your laptop jack, this is the one you need to worry about. It needs to be the same voltage rating, and the amps rating should be the same too.
    Although if the voltage and amps ratings are both a little less on the borrowed power supply it'll probably work.
    Oh yes, I overlooked those factors. But nope, their chargers were different; but heck, I don't know where I can get one, maybe I'll try some of MaslowK's suggestions.

I'll post back as soon as I can, maybe it'll take 2-4 days but I'll keep on checking back for any further suggestions. (n_n)

Thanks
    EP Points

I guess so, but do you have any accurate answer/guess on how much the process costs? Can you tell me it's ranges or so?

Oh yes, I overlooked those factors. But nope, their chargers were different; but heck, I don't know where I can get one, maybe I'll try some of MaslowK's suggestions.

I'll post back as soon as I can, maybe it'll take 2-4 days but I'll keep on checking back for any further suggestions. (n_n)
    If you have 10 bucks you can probably just one from Ebay:
    http://www.ebay.com/bhp/adapter-lenovo-g460

Or proably search for one at amazon, may cost a lil more (more reliable sorce, pwr+ brands are pretty good universal adapters):
    http://www.amazon.com/G460-06779uu-G.../dp/B005S5P2SM

I guess others had charging problems with this particular model:
    https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Lenovo-...em/td-p/734355
    Last edited by Lord Valarion; 11th-May-2014 at 15:51.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Lord Valarion For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    EP Points

Totally depends on the laptop model, generally ranging from about $3-$6 just for the part. Including buying a decent soldering iron and solder you'd normally be looking at ~$30 or so.

However, looking up your specific model (Lenovo G460 right?) it looks like you might actually be in luck; seems it's one of the newer solder-free types that you can just unplug and replace. It's $6 with free shipping, here's a link; http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/281205153737?lpid=82
    Last edited by MaslowK; 14th-May-2014 at 00:56.
    "I think that the problem with this video is it is highly derivative of many popular bands within the genre. Although when viewed on its own merits, it does have a deeper groove. However what it has in groove, it lacks in originality. One can't help but be reminded of such bands as Pearl Jam, White Zombie, Suicidal Tendencies and other bands that bear the mantle of so called "Alternative Rock". One is even reminded of Lorie Anderson when she wore curlers. Hehehmhm! This video speaks less to the heart and more to the sphincter. In closing, I think Korn would do well to learn more from -"

12. The Following User Says Thank You to MaslowK For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Valarion View Post
    If you have 10 bucks you can probably just one from Ebay:
    http://www.ebay.com/bhp/adapter-lenovo-g460

Or proably search for one at amazon, may cost a lil more (more reliable sorce, pwr+ brands are pretty good universal adapters):
    http://www.amazon.com/G460-06779uu-G.../dp/B005S5P2SM

I guess others had charging problems with this particular model:
    https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Lenovo-...em/td-p/734355
    Their problem is software related, mine is hardware...

To everyone...
    Sorry for the late reply, the whole thing took longer than expected. It seems that the problem was indeed within the charger. I just went and asked somebody to repair the charger for a cheap cost ($3).

Thanks to everyone who replied and provided some suggestions!
    Long live the Emuparadise community! Cheers! ~(^o^~)(~^o^)~
    Last edited by theassassin02; 16th-May-2014 at 09:19.