Thread: Sonic CD (Europe) ISO Won't "Unpak" Properly

Thanks
    EP Points

Exclamation Sonic CD (Europe) ISO Won't "Unpak" Properly

I downloaded the European version of Sonic CD and PakkIso from the Emuparadise main site. I extracted the zipped file to my downloads folder (I selected "extract here") I checked the Sonic CD folder's contents. Then, I went back and right-clicked the extracted folder, selected "UnpakkISO", waited for it to finish and then... It converted all the audio / ecm files into separate .bin files, and then slapped one lone .cue file into it, expecting me to run this mess with my copy of *Genesis Plus GX on my Wii!

* I do all my Sega emulating on my Wii now. It's very accurate, and looks great on an old tube TV when running in the games' native resolution... Aww, yeah... that's the stuff...

Anyway, lemme just rub that drool off my face so I can continue... ahem...

Is that the way it's supposed to work? Is there anything I'm doing wrong - and why in the world do we have to do this crap for all the PAL ISOs for the Sega CD?! Wouldn't it be more efficient to rip them off the CD just like you do a NTSC disc?! It would save us all the time and patience of having to figure this stuff out!

Thanks
    EP Points

The reason for the multiple .bin files is the way these particular games have their audio tracks organized, where most of those .bin files are individual tracks, and the .cue file keeps track of which track is which. The NTSC version of this game works the same way IIRC. From what I've read you should be able to just stick the folder with all the .bin's and .cue in your roms folder under /genplus, then stick the proper sega CD bios file under /genplus/bios (named bios_CD_E.bin in this case), and then load the .cue file from the Mega CD option in the emulator. Testing now to confirm.

EDIT: Tested, seems to work fine. As a side note if your Genplus GX doesn't have the MegaCD option, make sure it's an up to date version (this confused me just a minute ago ). When you start the game it'll have these bright blue borders for some reason, I was able to make them black instead under Options > Video > clicking Borders (set to NONE). There's an Aspect Ratio option in there as well that you can set to "Scaled" to make it full-screen.
    Last edited by MaslowK; 8th-March-2014 at 05:04.
    "I think that the problem with this video is it is highly derivative of many popular bands within the genre. Although when viewed on its own merits, it does have a deeper groove. However what it has in groove, it lacks in originality. One can't help but be reminded of such bands as Pearl Jam, White Zombie, Suicidal Tendencies and other bands that bear the mantle of so called "Alternative Rock". One is even reminded of Lorie Anderson when she wore curlers. Hehehmhm! This video speaks less to the heart and more to the sphincter. In closing, I think Korn would do well to learn more from -"

3. The Following User Says Thank You to MaslowK For This Useful Post:

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Moved to Everything Console Nintendo secetion that is for emulating on a Nintendo system, Everything Emulation is for emulating on a Computer system

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR