Thread: PS2 backup issue

Thanks
    EP Points

Default PS2 backup issue

Up until about 4 days ago, my system would spin up and read my backups. Now, it plays burned dvds, pressed dvds, games, music discs fine. However, when I try backed up games, they won't spin up propperly. Disc starts to spin, but slows down within seconds of starting, and it tries to spin again, to slow down again. It does this 3 or 4 times, then Free McBoot restarts itself, skipping the disc spin up process.

Any ideas? I fear it may be the laser going out, but I can't do a cleaning on it (only rubbing alcohol I have is 50%, not pure enough for me to risk it). Suggestions?

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

50% mix is fine just let it fully dry after, you can do a dry wipe and it would be fine the alcohol just gives it more lift for dirt/dust.

recommend DVD+R's burned at ther slowest possible speed

if you are using ESR patch before burning

if you are using a bulky model PS2 set the book type to DVD-R as the older PS2's did not support DVD+R's officially, later models do though

DVD+R's are of higher quality and should be easier for the PS2 read them, still go for higher quality though like most Verbatim DVD+R's are (Not all are not even Verbatim discs, the brand has very little to do with it as every brand have low and high quality discs, some are mostly low some are mostly high though)

EDIT try burning with the book type changed to DVD-R and see if that makes a difference

I know you use DVD+R's to start with as I just realized your the one that has posted the recent ESR compat info
    Last edited by Zorlon; 3rd-March-2014 at 15:53.

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Zorlon For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    EP Points

I'll give the 50 proof a try later. I don't think its the discs, as the first several burns seem to work fine still (though, some other burns that were working fine don't want to spin up, so it may be dirt on the lens).

Here's hoping I don't have to buy a new lens already, as my cash flow is next to non existant at the moment.

Oh sweet, tanks for suggesting that its safe, worked like a charm! You, sire, deserve a cookie and a bachelor's degree in awesomeness!
    Last edited by Zorlon; 4th-March-2014 at 08:47.

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

That's great, you got the beast running again

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR