Thread: How to properly dump a PS2 game?

Thanks
    EP Points

Default How to properly dump a PS2 game?

Not quite sure this is the right section.....if not move the topic to wherever it needs to be. In any case, I'm wondering about the title question. I've currently grabbed ImgBurn for this, but am rather new to dumping things. In this particular case, I wanted to make a copy of my action replay max disc, which I could use on the PC. The emulator crashes when i try to boot it reading the action replay max from the dvd drive.....yet the disc itself works great on my ps2 as much as just a few hours ago.

EDIT
    Okay just made first attempt at creating a file from the disc. ImgBurn reported "unable to create or replace file C:\ActionReplayMAX.bin Reason: A required privilege is not held by the client. I am the only user on my computer and already have administrative rights, so i'm not sure what the issue here is(running win7 64 bit professional) My account says "administrator" below the name i created for the account, so i'm not sure what the problem is.

EDIT AGAIN
    created a new folder for it somewhere else, it seems to be accepting the new location. Now it seems to be running into a new problem. It reads up to sector 28 fine, then gets stuck and keeps re trying for about 20 tries, then comes up with a complex error message. But when checked on the PS2 it still boots fine, and any cheats for games i try to use from it work without a single issue.
    Last edited by rmcin329; 28th-October-2013 at 10:01.

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

It's a damaged disc, booting has nothing to do with it, the sector that has issues is only a very very small part that will only cause problems when that sector is read by the console/computer, normally for reading atleast I can't see an early sector like that having problems for using the disc but for ripping, it obviously has.

The amount of trouble you are having it would be much quicker if you just requested & downloaded it.
    Last edited by Zorlon; 28th-October-2013 at 10:47.

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks
    EP Points

I managed to find it via google, though it did not have the codes i wanted on it. After adding them for the appropriate game, pcsx2 freaked out and locked up upon trying to boot the game with the cheats active, saying something about assertion failed(rather long and complex error message) and the emulator just flat quit responding. I was forced to end it via resource monitor. Codebreaker doesn't have the particular code I am trying to use, which is why i'm trying to get it done via action replay max.
    Last edited by rmcin329; 28th-October-2013 at 11:00.

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

What code?
    Doesn't pcsx2 have a built in cheat codes system anyway (I don't emulate this system as I use a real one)

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks
    EP Points

Since the game had no codes at all on the action replay max iso, i had to put in 3 different codes, 1. a master code. 2. a tools code. 3. a code to make all tools infinite use(codebreaker only has a max tools code) The game in question is Ys the ark of napishtim. As for the built in cheat system, that involves converting the codes to raw format than assembling them into a .pnach file I believe. Overall i'm just too lazy to convert the necessary codes and build the .pnach file. Usually using codes via booting up a cheat device iso works just fine for me, so I don't typically bother with .pnach files.

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

whatever then each to there own

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]

Thanks
    EP Points

Try UltraISO. I think it has option to create PS2 backups...
    Don Rile

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

UltraISO is the biggest pile of junk around same as its many many clones, I am not going into the whys over that again I have done so too many times over the years

Also do not revive old threads, closed.

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]