Thread: Shenmue 1 & 2 NullDC

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Default Shenmue 1 & 2 NullDC

Hi y'all, I've came across this issue recently when playing any Shen Mue on NullDC. I get the same error in the console and can't play the game.

Name:  nulldc error.PNG
Views: 3917
Size:  25.7 KB

I couldn't find much about it, but tried replacing the Bios, changing the VMU, sound settings. I've changed NullDC to Interpreter mode (disabling Dynarec) but always get the same result. How can people play Shen Mue? I've tried both DCP and "Perfect Series" releases. Well I've download the "Perfect Series" release and converted it with Discjuggler, not too sure if it's because I'm on trial mode. What could I be possibly doing wrong?
    Dead or Alive, Soul Calibur, Resident Evil 3 + Code Veronica and Headhunter work fine.

Edit: Tried one ISO from here, and it's compatible with NullDC 1.0.3 but I want to make it work on NullDC 1.0.4.

Actually, I've tried a NullDC off another site, a bit of an older version of 1.04 and could run Shenmue fine. Weird, could be some corrupted file and I've downloaded the program again.
    Last edited by deadlegion; 14th-March-2013 at 05:29. Reason: posts merged

Check my YouTube for gameplay and pickup videos!

Steam|Youtube

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

1.0.4 r141 was not officially built though is built with official source code

the last official one is 1.0.4 r136

The official group stopped work long back though

source = http://code.google.com/p/nulldc/source/list
    Official build = http://code.google.com/p/nulldc/downloads/list

Myself I just use a Dreamcast if you find one for cheap enough pick it up, most models don't require any modding to play CD-R backups (Mil-CD selfbootable CD-R's that is)

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Zorlon View Post
    1.0.4 r141 was not officially built though is built with official source code

the last official one is 1.0.4 r136

The official group stopped work long back though

source = http://code.google.com/p/nulldc/source/list
    Official build = http://code.google.com/p/nulldc/downloads/list

Myself I just use a Dreamcast if you find one for cheap enough pick it up, most models don't require any modding to play CD-R backups (Mil-CD selfbootable CD-R's that is)
    I've got the Dreamcast since 2001 really, but really wanted to see Shenmue in 1080p. I've finished both of them on the console, it was just an experiment I was trying to do. At least I'm happy that I've managed to make it work. Thanks for the advice though

Check my YouTube for gameplay and pickup videos!

Steam|Youtube

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

I am currently doing a ton of testing as it happens with the last build of NullDC 1.0.4 r141

Already tested the beta of Shenmue and it worked just fine, but that was only tested because I changed the image format from nrg to cdi and wanted to make sure I had not messed it up when I converted it before burning

My test results are at http://www.epforums.org/showthread.php?83089 that is moslty for real hardware but I do have a small note for NullDC aswell
    Last edited by Zorlon; 2nd-February-2013 at 19:37.

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks

I have a Dreamcast too. But i don't have a Shenmue 1 & 2 original copies though. And the ISOS are incomplete copies of this piece of art. Then if somebody wants to play the games as it should, i mean complete, with nothing extracted or lost, i really recommend the gdi files with of course, NullDC. I am playing Shenmue 1 in an "unofficial" release. The r149. (We have no choice now, 'cause the official one has already been dropped...) But believe me, it is working OK. Just wanted to post this note. Greetings.

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

The official one isn't dropped or there would be no more source files

As it happens there are 99min CD-R rips

P.S. they are all rips, but that doesn't say anything is removed

I have yet to look at the 99min rips

As for Shenmue the versions I have played from start to end had nothing ripped (one of the versions has the music at the bike scene removed) however every version of Shenmue II has had minor scenes with no voice actors I don't know if that is fixed with the 99min CD-R rips or not as I have yet to look at them myself

There are also un-dub versions as well, a nice little touch as a lot of the English voice acting is rather bad in places, subs are still English, again I am yet to actually test those versions

EDIT:-

The "Shenmue Perfect" version of Shenmue has nothing ripped out or down sampled and still fits normal CD80 discs (that version is PAL so works fine with Shenmue II)

The "Shenmue - Xiaopang Complete Edition" is a modded NTSC version to include the Coca Cola vending machines, this also has nothing ripped or down sampled

the 99min version of Shenmue 2 (Shenmue II *Full99*) has voices for all scenes (they are down sampled but not so much that they are poor quality) there is also an English mod for that one using files from the xbox version but to be honest not keen on the poor English voice acting.
    Last edited by Zorlon; 16th-March-2013 at 13:25.

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]

Thanks

Oh! Damn. Sorry, you're right about the releases...

And thanks for posting the Shenmue editions specs.