Thread: Console led lighting hard mod

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Question Console led lighting hard mod

I need to know from an expert how do i wire these led's to use inside my ps1 original 7001 ntsc u/c console? I plan on making them run off of AA's and having them shine through plastic [cd disc protector plastic] windowesk letters on the sides along with the large symbol on the lid.

Img00006.jpg
    In the cursed year 1943, Crawley returned.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Good idea + bad idea. Scrap the AA's and wire them to an internal power source.
    Wire a resistor (220-330 ohms) in series with each LED at the Anode side. Then wire the resistor to +5v and the Cathode of the LED to ground. Any +5v and ground points will do. The fact that you want them to run on batteries must mean you want to be able to decide when they shine. A simple switch can be the solution.

Your best option would be to simply wire your extra LEDs in parallel with the power LED and introduce a switch between those. That way, you won't have to buy any resistors and will not have to search for an alternate +5v and GND.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

About that; my brother gave me this console USED by him before I got it and the original laser only played new discs scratched or slightly scratched wouldn't play and I tried your trick on wiring where the power comes in on a psone model, now it won't even power on with the single test led removed. It worked for 5 seconds then puff off.
    So ya I just fixed my original model and I WANT IT TO LAST till the ps6 comes out and on every youtube and modchip site they all say ''DO AT OWN RISK''
    I also intend to do this to a black wii later on give it a gcn symbol on the sides in blue much the same way cause I heard through the net that even modhips damage systems over time since it wasn't ment to power the extra chip.

so long story short I want mine to run after I hit 78. And the final design scheme was paint the console a shiny blue coat like raziel's skin with red led's for blood omen kain color. even the switch was to be blue.

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

then don't mod it all all and use it as is

LED mods and mod chips for that matter use internal power that exists if you use it or not it does not over load the power or anything like that.

Every mod any every installation of internal hardware will almost always state at your own risk even if there is a battery operated mod on the inside of the console (provided there is room to stuff batteries inside the console of choice (PSX original there will be I'm sure) any guide for that would also state do at your own risk because you can still break your machine doing so, just because you are taking the machine apart)

Powering up at the power adaptor built inside the PSX is not going to have any negative effect to the main board if done correctly

The PSX console was in fact never built to last the hardware itself is not the best standard the Laser unit especially is of poor standards.
    I have had a few well looked after PSX consoles and all have the same issue of the laser unit running poorly (I know how to retune those (do so at your own risk though) you can actually break a PSX laser if you are not careful and over tune the thing (turn it to far either way), it's the same with any CD/DVD/BD console)

If ever buying a second hand CD console I would always recommend giving the laser a re-tune to ensure the thing works

The worst thing for the PSX is not a mod chip but the constant use of the console, so lets call that normal use over time the laser becomes stressed and the quality of it's reads lessen over use, it gets worse if you happen to use scratched originals or poor quality CD-R's, worse again if you do disc swaps.

CD-R use in general can actually harm the laser because it takes a bit more effort for the laser to read CD-R's media compared with retail discs
    Last edited by Zorlon; 17th-March-2013 at 15:49.

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks
    Blog Entries

are memorex good quality does music cd-r wear out the laser more than a cd-r? and I know how if wired right every thing would be okay but the led's would only be on when I have the lights off not all the time and another thing my sister's room burned to ash back in 08 and everything in my room that wasn't black got caked in soot i think thats what killed my ps2 30001 R's laser and the original psx laser before i nicked it cleaning the system and just i would prefer the switch on the outside so when i do need to take the console apart for repairs i don't want to worry about snapping an led wire. I'd like the battery compartment on the outside so I wouldn't need to open the console to change the battery because of batteries going splat when they die.

also I would like a guide on how to and what wires to use for the led's.
    Also on a wii where would I draw power from on a semi used ''like new'' wii for blue led's on the sides? [thins one I would make it run off the internal power.]
    Last edited by soratron; 17th-March-2013 at 22:26.

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Add a switch to the LED's then you can turn it on and off when you want and that can still be internal with a small switch at the rear of the console

External battery and switch... you will have one ugly PSX once you finish modding it, just glue a USB christmas tree to the lid and have done with it

You know those Cat5 cables well if you have old ones kicking around they have great wires that are just perfect for this type of modding and they keep there shape so you can have it all nice and tidy and kept out the way of anything else, a bit tape can be used if you don't want anything in place permanent though I would go for a glue gun instead and make it permanent, if you are worried about breaking connection for the LED's the drop a bit of glue gun glue on those as well, though make sure that is not directly on the LED bulbs, it is hot glue after all.

Music CD-R's are no different to standard CD-R's

Some Memorex are good while some are just not, in general I would say Memorex are good though but they can deteriorate over time (start to flake and peel the layer on the top of the disc, that happens to be where the data is actually burned)

For now I would practice modding the PSX and forget about modding any other hardware just yet, you may not find that too easy once you get a bit of practice

It you do any main board soldering then practice on something that is broken or of no use to you anymore, not everyone can solder especially small components
    Last edited by Zorlon; 17th-March-2013 at 22:52.

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks
    Blog Entries

cat5 the blue ethernet cables?
    And what I ment on the switch it would be in the back where it would seldom be seen with the wires going in through the gaps between the case and the serial to other psx serial port for the sides run along the top around the letters to the two on the front then going along the side that says soul go into the lid through the back of the lid drill two small holes for led's there then where the case depresses for your thumb put 2 there but if that idea they don't shine that well I was going to see about mounting the to the inside of the lid.

PS I'd be having my dad wire them he's great at this stuff can even fix a new touch screen or old slider phone. mom never let him teach me how to solder since when i was small i touched the iron when it was still hot so ya.
    also does anyone now what gameshark acts as a modchip and plays burnt discs after you swap em out once at the menu when the disc stops. cause i got a gs cart v2.1 and the disc keeps spinning.
    Last edited by soratron; 17th-March-2013 at 23:13.

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

correct it's ethernet cable, used to be all gray now more commonly blue or yellow, it's all the same cable though

hey it's up to you how you mod the thing at the end of the day, but you do know that the port on the back that is used for link up will have power sent through it (not talking about the serial port that I know you use for cheat carts), that you can use, that always has power sent to it (don't ask me how much I haven't looked at a PSX in ages but the info should be online) you can always take the power from there and if you ever used that just switch the LED's off with the switch you install whatever way you like

I would guess at, that you have no plans to drill holes in the case to fit LED's correctly and just have them taped inside the lid, the thing you have to remember is that light not travel round bends, so having light inside the lid will not show brilliantly the little light you will see if what is reflected back up that will not be half as bright as the actual LED's for testing I do recommend batteries but not for the final product, you should also be able to see what I am saying when you test

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]

Thanks
    Blog Entries

I don't really care if the lid ones aren't too bright but would it reflect brighter since most of my backups are the whitish gray color or cool colors red? and red leds aren't that bright anyway so ya on the note of practice on old then crawl onto newer i'd do the battery one for the psx just so I get at lease a little extra life out of it. where as for the wii i'd consider taking it from the power in since the transformer is in the power cable so if it blows I'd just have to go buy a new power cable and try again since the youtube vid i saw of an old psx with flashing multi color leds uploader said that it stopped working after a month and using a volt meter said that the transformer on the power board was blown so that's why i was thinking of using the battery option.

But I NEED to know what wire becomes + and what wire becomes - and do I need to have one for ground?

PS does anyone know what version of gameshark did the single swap trick cause the v2.1 i got i still need to double swap.
    Last edited by soratron; 18th-March-2013 at 02:51.

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

reflections from the disc will not show at all with the lid closed, light does not bend remember and discs are not near enough to the edge to reflect the light through the lid

if it's battery operated you don't really need to ground it but if you wanted to all a ground does is have a wire that goes to nothing or a metal plate that is insulated so goes to nothing

GameShark 3.XX hacked (unless you can find it pre hacked, then don't)

Otherwise just about all the un-official cards do the trick while the official cards do not (hence the double swap)

You can also flash the Official GameShark with a new firmware that does support single disc swaps (Do so at your own risk)

I flashed my Action Replay 3.XX myself with a modded firmware as it happens that was the GameShark 3.XX I flashed it with (this can not be flashed to a 2.x cart as the 3.X rom is twice the size of a 2.X rom, you can do it the other way round but I do not recomend it you can even have it as a swap rom and run 2 roms from the AR3/GS3, but to be honest the AR3/GS3 rom is far better)

I have also flashed my lesser kits including Action Replay 2.1 (same as the GameShark v2.1) with different cheat cart roms that lets my do a direct single swap, i.e. start up the machine with an original in, once cheat device has booted change for CD-R and play

all the old back port mods can be flashed via a CD-R (not GameShark 3 up or Action Replay 3 up or Newer Xplorer/Xploder/Codebreaker carts, well they can be I recommend against doing that)

I think it was X-Flash that I used that is actually software for the older Xploder/Xplorer carts that are the same type of flash memory as the old Action Replay and GameShark v2.X and under (if you have an cart that does not work with this it will just not let you flash it)

The flash roms I have used are (I do have 3 of these) E.M.S. GoldFinger 2.21, Zippy 0.33e & AHOY version 0.34 all are English all work much the same as well

My original carts had been Action Replay 2.1, E.M.S. (it was an older version) & Smart Cartridge 6.0

http://gamehacking.org/vb/threads/59...-amp-Utilities <- tools
    http://xianaix.net/museum.htm Roms (Again Action Replay and GameShark are the same carts)

I have stopped using those for a long time now and favour my chipped PSone that was chipped the same day the PSone was released in the UK and has never failed me yet

The Action Replay 3/GameShark 3 has the best features, 15 virtual memcards, in game hacking (make your own codes) & supports more advanced codes, it does lack the STR player though that 3rd party Action Replay clones play, not such a big loss as you can play more via your PC but I imagine they are hard to find now

But I would be hacking that GameShark 2.1 myself

P.S. X-Flash can also be used to un-brick a cheat cart as well so if you have a none working one it may be able to re flash and fix it if you have a way to boot a CD-R up that is

If you didn't then the only option outside of replacing it would be to buy a comms board that would only work on an old PC that are hard to find
    Last edited by Zorlon; 18th-March-2013 at 13:11.

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]

Thanks
    Blog Entries

thanks im just going to paint the lid symbol a shiny gloss red and only do the sides that say soul reaver. So what your saying is if I uodate it to v2.3 I can do the single swap like i thought i could with this one?

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Nope I never said updating would help at all (It will not the Gameshark was never ment to be used for swapping)

updating will not do a thing for you

but flashing it with custom firmware will like the E.M.S. GoldFinger, Zippy, AHOY or even Smart Cartridge will let yo do a single swap and add features that the original GameShark does not have

AHOY would be the recommended one
    Last edited by Zorlon; 19th-March-2013 at 13:33.

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]

Thanks
    Blog Entries

thanks your input has been very helpful I'll check out this ahoy when I can get new cdr's.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

got new cd-r's but how do i go about installing it to the cartridge? do i use the cartridge's enhancer cd option, hot swaping what?
    sorry for double post.