Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Most Frustrating Bosses

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Default Most Frustrating Bosses

Since I've been thinking about this topic recently heylookatmysig I'd figure I'd make a topic about it.

Now I don't mean simply hard bosses, I mean bosses that you just hate fighting or dealing with because they're simply not fun. The kind of pricks that abuse cheap moves, have almost no tells to their attack patterns, take for fucking ever to actually kill, and so on and so forth. What are some that have really stuck with you over the years or popped up just recently?

Thanks
    Blog Entries

There were a few Collosi in Shadow of the Colossus that were total pricks. Especially the last one, which took me forever. Fall once and you start all over. The thing was huge. Pretty much every Mega Man boss is annoying too if you didn't get the right weapon to fight them with first. Also the Persona 3 final boss was an utter nightmare for me. Had to have a friend beat it for me. 12 different forms!!! Anyway, I'm sure some of these I've mentioned were easy for others but they certainly were annoying to me. I will say, however, that the harder the boss the more satisfying it is when you take 'em down.

Thanks
    EP Points

First: the boss of mission 11 from Devil May Cry 3. Man, I took almost 2 hours to kill that foul in my first playthrough. I was playing in the keyboard that time, and my fingers weren't fast enough to attack and dodge at the same time. Now I use a joystick, and I can kill him without loosing health.

Second: the mini-boss of Sting Chameleon's level in Megaman X. Why it takes so long to defeat him? In my first playthrough, I used the stupid strategy of wall-jumping all the time and hit his back when he launched that hook. But I got tired fast and simply missed some jumps and then he would do damage to X. I was so pissed. At least he gives a good reward for killing him. Also, I think that Sting Chameleon is the hardest of the 8 normal bosses of this game.

Third: maybe the last boss of Silent Hill 3. I had only 90 pistol ammo, 15 shotgun ammo, 50 machine-gun ammo, and some melee weapons. If it wasn't for the katana, I would have to restart the game to see if I could save more ammo, because I thought that using melee at first was weaker than guns, then I would use up all the guns, and when I should use melee, Heather's health was too low, and she always died on the next hit.
    Last edited by Clayton Fischer; 14th-February-2012 at 22:42.

Thanks
    EP Points

Any boss that has been in an SNK fighting game. All of them. Of course there is always a way to cheese them out.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by TheRealSpiders View Post
    Any boss that has been in an SNK fighting game. All of them. Of course there is always a way to cheese them out.
    This. This so much.
    And also, Probably the Final boss of Sonic 2, don't know what the machine is called, but DAMN he is hard if you don't know what you're doing. Not having any rings adds to the frustration.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

I've always hated the boss in the second last stage of Wily's Fortress in Mega Man 2. I think it was the second last one... the one with the walls you have to destroy with the Crash Bombs, and the only weapon that can destroy the turrets is also the Crash Bomb. If you don't plan it out right, you can't beat that boss without getting a game over and starting from scratch with the walls gone. Pretty much any boss like that, where you have to use one weapon and only one weapon, and you don't have a means of replenishing your weapon's ammo, is no fun for me at all, and I hate them. It takes the enjoyment out of "how many different ways can I kill this boss?"

I know there are more (and perhaps better) examples of this, but it's the only one I can think of at the moment.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by TheRealSpiders View Post
    I will 3rd this. Kouryu is silly. Any SNK boss would be unbeatable in the hands of a skilled human player. HI IM IGNIZ AND I CAN SPAM SUPERS GL.

Some bosses that have stood out for me over my long gaming history (some are hard-mode only optional fights, bonus dungeon fights etc...): Demi-fiend (Digital Devil Saga), Satan (Digital Devil Saga 2), Iseria Queen (Valkyrie Profile, but appears in other Enix games), Land of Carnage version of Pringer X (Disgaea 3 & 4 iirc, nothing in the first 2 is on that level), Demigorgon Prince of Demons, especially without epic traps (Baldur's Gate 2 Expansion), and basically any boss playing on hard mode in most SRW games.

Thanks

Yiazmat in FFXII. Holy **** That boss was so immensely hard that it took nearly 8 hours to finish it.
    Another one in the list is the Serpentarius in FFXII as well. You have to go for quite a distance to get to the boss. Once you are defeated by the boss, you have to start over again. The path has some really deadly enemies as well.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,350 Times in 160 Posts
    EP Points

Ninja Gaiden`s last boss but the PCE version.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,145 Times in 166 Posts
    EP Points

Im gonna have to say kh2 sephiroth wow that side boss is really hard

I notice my uploads are taken down, i am the the process of reuploading
    If you like any of my uploads, be sure to hit the "Thanks" button
    Every month i try to add new games. For my list of uploads, check out here
    Need your console modded?, check out my store here

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Gypsy View Post
    Demi-fiend (Digital Devil Saga)
    I had forgotten about him. That fucking fight took me much longer than it should have.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Clayton Fischer View Post
    Devil May Cry 3 ... keyboard
    Oh god, that must be impossible. :'D It's not an easy game with a pad!

There are quite a few that come to mind, but none so much as the titular last boss from the Mega Drive fighting game Eternal Champions, who is always my go to answer in threads like these. How is he broken? Let me count the ways:

1. He has all the staples of a coin-munching fighting game last boss. Insane speed, crazy damage output, broken priority, moves that combine all the best bits of other characters' movesets...

2. The AI reads your inputs like a fiend (the developers later came out and admitted this), meaning that any move that you throw at him in a 50/50 situation will be beaten. The only way to hit him (and indeed every enemy in the arcade mode) is to take advantage of gaps in his attacks, or abuse glitches in his AI and the game mechanics.

3. He has five different forms, each with their own full life bar and move set you must learn. You get one life bar (albeit with a small health boost between each form) to beat them all. Lose to one? Unlucky. Back to the start of them all.

4. His first form has a move that makes him temporarily invincible. There are loads of cheap moves like that in the game, so it's not that unusual, but they're regulated by the game's inner strength meter, and the cheapest ones cripple your special move output for a long time after usage. The difference? The Eternal Champion has infinite inner strength. Oops. In short, if the AI decides you are going to lose, you will lose. There is no way around it. Block and he'll throw you or chip off your health with insane chip damage. Try and fight back and your moves pass straight through him, meaning he'll just kick chunks out of you.

5. One of his other forms has a move that puts an aura on him that will hurt you whenever you hit him, and makes his normal attacks chip your health when you block. Ditto to the above, basically, in that if the AI decides to use this move enough you will lose, with the very slight advantage that you can beat him by just praying that your health bar lasts longer than his does. Of course that cripples your health bar for the next form. Better hope that he picks this one last.

6. You have two rounds against him, and you have to win one. If you lose both rounds, it's game over. No continues, no try agains, no nothing. You get a bad ending, and you're kicked back to the title screen to play through the whole (not exactly easy) arcade mode again. Two rounds. So two chances to become acquainted with five different movesets, to find holes in said movesets that are sufficient enough to beat the psychic AI, and to pray that he doesn't decide to spam one of two moves that are pretty much an instant loss for you. No, this is not a boss you're going to beat on your first try. Nor your second. Nor your third...

TL ; DR, he's an SNK fighting game boss if you took him out of the well-polished, fairly well-balanced fighting engine of an SNK game and stuck him into a below par fighting game with some extremely ill advised design decisions. Which is to say pretty much unbeatable by conventional means. I finished the game with every character as a kid because kids are insane like that, but only by abusing a glitch that allows you to throw an opposing character indefinitely when they're trapped in a corner. And even then you have to pray that you can get him into a corner without being killed first, and that you can continue timing your throws correctly to take off five of his health bars so that he doesn't break free and end you.
    Last edited by Elin; 15th-February-2012 at 06:18.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Elin For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    EP Points

Fighting Lavos at the beginning of Chrono trigger. After defeating the game; you can start over at the same level you were at in the end. If you step on the second teleporter at the fair, you fight lavos again. The bad news is he does a one hit kill. The fight just started and he instantly killed my team. It was unfair, and difficult.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Iamerror For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by sooyong94 View Post
    Yiazmat in FFXII. Holy **** That boss was so immensely hard that it took nearly 8 hours to finish it.
    Oh shit.
    Btw, back to topic. So far, there are probably no frustrating boss that I encounter. But, the last boss in FFT A2; Illua and the huge monster with the moving orbs thingi were pretty annoying.

Thanks

Sonic Adventure 2 Battle - Biohazard.... hate the hell outta this guy, took me 100+ lives to finally destroy this litte punk a** b****, prob the hardest boss ive ever foughtm, but then again, i coulda just sucked