Thread: PXSX2 questions

Thanks

Default PXSX2 questions

Let me first say that i've already read through the stickies, and searched around to answer my questions. They were very helpful but i need some help regarding my exact specifications.
    I recently had the urge to play some Final Fantasy XII; and seeing as my PS2 is broken, and i don't own a PS3, i figured i would try to emulate. I'm using PCSX2 0.9.8 (r4600.) and so after messing around with it for about an hour, i managed to get the video and sound to both work, and actually run.
    My menu FPS was running at 64, but then after starting gameplay it dropped severely to around 28 FPS. so then i teased around with the speed hacks, and messing with some of the visual settings, etc. None of which really helped. So i'm guessing that my computer just can't handle it for some reason. So i was wondering if anyone with this knowledge could help me. With either PCSX2, and (or) CPU's, Graphics cards, or whatever; To tell me where i'm at, and where i need to be to run this. Oh and on another note, i can't run any PS2 ISO at full FPS either.

So heres my Specs; i know it said laptops were not recommended, but i thats what i have to work with. (Toshiba C650)

Operating System
    MS Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit SP1
    CPU
    AMD K10 58 °C
    AMD K10
    Cores 2
    Threads 2
    Name AMD K10
    Package Socket S1 (638)
    Technology 45nm
    Specification AMD Athlon(tm) II P340 Dual-Core Processor
    Family F
    Extended Family 10
    Model 6
    Extended Model 6
    Stepping 3
    Revision DA-C3
    Instructions MMX (+), 3DNow! (+), SSE, SSE2, SSE3, SSE4A, AMD 64
    Virtualization Supported, Disabled
    Hyperthreading Not supported
    Bus Speed 199.5 MHz
    Rated Bus Speed 1596.0 MHz
    Stock Core Speed 2200 MHz
    Stock Bus Speed 200 MHz
    Average Temperature 58 °C
    45nm Technology

RAM
    3.00 GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 531MHz (7-7-7-20)

Motherboard
    TOSHIBA Portable PC (Socket S1G4) 56 °C

Graphics
    Generic PnP Monitor (1366x768@60Hz)
    ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4200 Series (Toshiba)

and again, i know its not anything special, but i'm wondering what its going to take for me to be able to get those higher FPS'. Also some price checks for any hardware, links are welcome via PM, etc.

Thanks for your time in general.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,055 Times in 323 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

the "ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4200 Series" may be the issue here

Other than turning on the speed hacks on I think you may have to pay out for a faster Laptop or use a desktop with a better graphics card

Thanks

Even with the speed hacks at an unstable level, (all turned on,) it doesn't really seem to help much at all.
    and i think the Graphics card is the biggest problem because in my Windows Experience Index it's only rated as a 4.1, on a scale of 1 - 7.9.

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Buy a PS2 instead of worrying about emulating the thing, just softmod the sucker (or get someone else to make a softmodded memcard for you) to run ESR patched DVD games directly... no silly changing discs to boot backups either , the thing even works beter than some modchips, only downsides are it won't work for CD games (though alot can be converted to DVD format) also the PS2 itself has a poor laser so alot of users find DVD DL-/+R disc don't read very well (DVD5 rips for those though) [DVD DL applies to mod chips aswell]

DVD changing for multi DVD games works perfect with ESR (this is what makes it beter than some of the mod chips around for the olde PS2)

I would say the same for a couple of other consoles aswell, just because it's so easy to do (Dreamcast being the easiest )

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks
    EP Points

check my sig for details on what Zorlon said
    *Computer Specs*
    Operating System: Windows 10 64-bit
    Processor: AMD FX 8350 Processor (8 CPUs), ~4.1GHz
    Memory: 16GB RAM
    Graphics Card: AMD Radeon R9 8GB GDDR5

If You Find My Help Useful In Any Way Please Click Thanks.
    Bennieboi's Question Of The Day (now defunct)

Thanks

hmm... interesting. i'll look into this further; Thanks for the replies, guys.

Thanks
    EP Points

Your CPU and GPU is below requirement to run FFXII at stable state, either get a new PC, or do what Zorlon had suggested.

Try using the latest SVN first, and enable MTVU hacks, with EE Cyclerate set to 3 and hope there will be some changes.