Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Another psyco get his hands on guns.

Elmdor Rizer is offline Official Chronicler of EP
    Unofficial Chronicler of your underwear drawer
    Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Librå View Post
    It's not the guns, it's the people. If guns were taking away, people would use the next best thing to kill. As long as there is man, there is war.
    Pretty invalid argument seeing as the second most lethal thing (in direct combat) is... what, a sword? The kills aren't quite as easy with that one.

Michael Ballack, he scores free-kicks.
    He's got black hair, and he's german.
    Michael Ballack, trains in paddocks.
    in his spare time, HE FARMS HADDOCKS!
    Watch me play Super C, guys!!

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Huey Kruthas View Post
    This is a weak argument too. It's easy to disprove just by pointing out the college shooting. I don't exactly see how it would have been possible for him to have killed/injured as many as he did without a gun.
    If he can't make a bomb, just buy some TNT and throw it in :O

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Paladin_Hammer View Post
    If someone opposes a gun-shop owner knowing that he's schizo, then chances are he's trying to buy a gun to shoot whatever he see's (being a schizo). Fuck the mentally ill's egos, I don't want to die.
    The laws would have to be written and enforced very, very carefully. If that information starts getting into the hands of employers or anything resembling the general public, a whole lot of lives are going to be ruined.

Thanks

Isn't the answer to this a bit obvious?

Maybe we shouldn't give the people with violent mental issues, a liscense to own a gun.
    Check out my deviantart!

chibichibipowercanon

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Chibi-Suke View Post

Maybe we shouldn't give the people with violent mental issues, a liscense to own a gun.
    Sane people can turn crazy sometimes and crazy people can get their hands on guns that aren't licensed to them, so while it's important, I don't think it's the answer.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ph
    Doesn't anyone in the country think that we shouldn't sell guns to people with mental illness?! Damnit, it should have been pretty fucking obvious after VT (hell, beforehand even) that anyone with a mental illness, or a history thereof, shouldn't be allowed to purchase a gun!!! Whats so damn hard about this to understand?
    quite a few things actually.

1. as previously stated, mental illness can devolp over time, its not something that you're born with

2. "people with mental illness" itself is WAY too broad of a category.

3. what about people who got help with their condition, that arent on medications, and are perfectly "normal" (whoever defines what normal is anyway...). does this mean they cant own a gun to do any of the things you want to do just because they had some difficulty in their lives?

thats like saying certain people cant do certain things because they had a cold or something.

4. even if someone did manage to get laws passed like that, im fairly certain that it would be considered some form of discrimination

.. now i do agree with the fact that psychotic people, and possibly people that are being treated for SOME mental illnesses shouldnt have guns, but grouping mental illnesses all together is very very wrong

Thanks

Maybe there should be a mental awareness program as well as a gun license and some other health and mental tests before getting guns. It'd drop the rate down a good bit, I'm sure. The less easier, is better.
    -= PSN Name is StellarSublime =-

Thanks
    EP Points

The anit-discrimination doctrines built into the Americans With Disabilities act greatly limits the restrictions you can put on someone with any type of disability, whether it be mental or physical. (I have to take tests on Fair Housing every year, so I'm famililar) There's no way to enact laws that single out people with mental disabilities. It violates the ADA.

The best we can do is make people wait 7 days, and all that. Obviously it's not working, but new legislation isn't the answer either.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sprung View Post
    but new legislation isn't the answer either.
    The only other answer I see (other than no answer at all, the world is rotting), is to get media to stop reporting on it so damn much. News like that feeds off itself, and I'm sure is a good part of the reason shit like this is happening more and more.

Ugh, 1:30 AM, hard to put what I want to say into words...
    Squiggly Line Squiggly Line Squiggly Line

Thanks
    EP Points

The only other answer I see (other than no answer at all, the world is rotting), is to get media to stop reporting on it so damn much. News like that feeds off itself, and I'm sure is a good part of the reason shit like this is happening more and more.
    I completely agree with this.

Thanks

Our fucking government is so retarded....

Everything that should be isn't, really good ideas and plans are never taken into action, and little things that shouldn't be such a big deal, cause huge controversies.
    It's getting quite old.
    When will there be change? A good change?
    -= PSN Name is StellarSublime =-

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Chibi-Suke View Post

Thats what I'm saying. And apparently because I'm saying it, its stupid (see: Evans and Panda's posts on 1st page).

Quote Originally Posted by Robin v. Persie View Post
    Also, last time you pulled up some weird numbers on Sweden. I've *never* seen a gun, and the only people that have them are hunters. And we don't get those "shot with legally owned firearm"-scenarios.
    It was Switzerland. See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_pol...land#Gun_crime

Hell, more people died due to knives in 2006 in Switzerland than from guns (a rarity anwhere).

Sweden has some pretty strict laws compared to the USA: http://teapot.usask.ca/cdn-firearms/Laws/sweden . Compared to the USA, where anyone (clearly) can get his hands on a weapon, Sweden is bitching. Hell, the idea of seeing that a person has been apart of a shooting club makes total sense to me (if he could keep his cool around guns for six months, and no one at the club said person X was mentally unstable or had extreme ideals, etc etc).

But don't listen to me. Apparently (Evans seal of approval on this), I'm dumb so I can't possibly have a good idea. I'll just mosy on over here then (boot's up external hardrive and pr0n).
    Last edited by Paladin_Hammer; 17th-February-2008 at 09:09.
    Spreading Fear and Uncertainty since 2004!

*Apparently the above doesn't fit in a custom user title. Bollocks.
    Copyright Paladin_Hammer 2007: "Deus ex Imperator". "Dio Dal Genica".
    NWO 4 Life!

Funniest Thread EVER

Elmdor Rizer is offline Official Chronicler of EP
    Unofficial Chronicler of your underwear drawer
    Thanks
    EP Points

Thats what I'm saying. And apparently because I'm saying it, its stupid (see: Evans and Panda's posts on 1st page).

Hell, more people died due to knives in 2006 in Switzerland than from guns (a rarity anwhere).

Sweden has some pretty strict laws compared to the USA: http://teapot.usask.ca/cdn-firearms/Laws/sweden . Compared to the USA, where anyone (clearly) can get his hands on a weapon, Sweden is bitching. Hell, the idea of seeing that a person has been apart of a shooting club makes total sense to me (if he could keep his cool around guns for six months, and no one at the club said person X was mentally unstable or had extreme ideals, etc etc).

But don't listen to me. Apparently (Evans seal of approval on this), I'm dumb so I can't possibly have a good idea. I'll just mosy on over here then (boot's up external hardrive and pr0n).
    You did it on Sweden too, I remember it well because it surprised the hell out of me. The numbers seemed real dodgy too, but that's not your fault. Anyways, you don't need to prove yourself here, after reading my post it seems I was just ganging up on you, for no apparent reason (I agree with what Evans said though ).

Haha, I'd say your main problem is that you tend to be simple about things. Not that I'm any different there, but I rarely voice my opinion on these matters.

Edit: I know our gun laws are strict, but the numbers that time were about guns owned, IIRC.

Michael Ballack, he scores free-kicks.
    He's got black hair, and he's german.
    Michael Ballack, trains in paddocks.
    in his spare time, HE FARMS HADDOCKS!
    Watch me play Super C, guys!!

Thanks

The rate of gun ownership in Switzerland is distorted due to the requirement for militia members (all males are theoretically required to do military service, but not all are militia members. A significant percentage are though) to store their weapon at home. Which massively increases the number of firearms per household.

However, these weapons must be stored under very particular conditions which more or less preclude the kind of non-premeditated use that typifies gun crime in many other countries. The government checks up on their storage as well.

It's not a good comparision to use with any westernised country as far as gun ownership goes, especially since the firearm demographics are significantly different (far more rifles and hunting shotguns than most other countries with proportionately fewer handguns and smgs.)

Thanks

Ugh, 1:30 AM, hard to put what I want to say into words...
    Exactly my thoughts as well. The media gives the kids the attention their looking for when they shoot up a school. Its "monkey-see,monkey-do". The number of school shootings have increased so much since Columbine because kids saw how public attention the trench coat mafia got. In most cases shootings happen becuase some kid(s) have been bullied,pushed around & always been thought of as an outsider, so they organize a shooting becuase they know their faces are gonna be all over national television & & they'll get the attention they want;And dead or alive their okay with that. If the media would take their cameras & pens & shove them up their ass when these things happen I think we'd see alot less shootings period.