Thread: Project 64 1.6 crashing computer

Thanks
    EP Points

Default Project 64 1.6 crashing computer

I have a problem. Whenever I've been playing Super Smash Bros with PJ64 1.6, about 5 minutes into emulation the frame rate drops to somewhere around 6fps, while at other times it runs at full speed. This problem has actually caused my system to lock up before, and respond again in random intervals. A while ago I restarted because of a lock-up, and noticed that explorer.exe wasn't starting correctly. It was running, because Task Manager said so, but even when I ended and restarted the process it never started correctly and showing the taskbar, icons, etc. So THEN I shut down for about 15 minutes and restarted, and everything was fine.

So far this has only happened with the US z64 version of Super Smash Bros and Super Mario 64, except whenver I entered full screen in Super Mario 64 my computer stopped responing instantly and had to I had to hold the power button in to shut it down. But recently, this hasn't happened with SM64, just with SSB. I have a dual-core Pentium D 3.2GHz CPU, if that's any help. Oh, and when the game drops down to crappy computer speed, my cpu usage is always 50%, the maximum percent that's allowed for actual processes. If I didn't have a dual-core CPU it would be 100%.

Any help? Please? I can't even play a game before it screws up!
    Last edited by Crash; 23rd-September-2007 at 01:37.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Crash View Post
    I have a problem. Whenever I've been playing Super Smash Bros with PJ64 1.6, about 5 minutes into emulation the frame rate drops to somewhere around 6fps, while at other times it runs at full speed. This problem has actually caused my system to lock up before, and respong again in random intervals. A while ago I restarted because of a lock-up. and noticed that explorer.exe wasn't starting correctly. It was running, because Task Manager said so, but even when I ended and restarted the process it never started correctly and showing the taskbar, icons, etc. So THEN I shut down for about 15 minutes and restarted, and everything was fine.

So far this has only happened with the US z64 version of Super Smash Bros and Super Mario 64, except whenver I entered full screen in Super Mario 64 my computer stopped responing instantly and had to I had to hold the power button in to shut it down. But recently, this hasn't happened with SM64, just with SSB. I have a dual-core Pentium D 3.2GHz CPU, if that's any help. Oh, and when the game drops down to crappy computer speed, my cpu usage is always 50%, the maximum percent that's allowed for actual processes. If I didn't have a dual-core CPU it would be 100%.

Any help? Please? I can't even play a game before it screws up!
    what kind of video card do u have?

Thanks
    EP Points

3 Things you should try.

1) give this a run though:

http://www.epforums.org/panda-mans-m...888/index.html

2) If that doesn't help, reinstall explorer. Its probably corrupt, so put in your windows XP disk, and go to (bare with me, its been a little while since I've used XP) control panel > add remove programs > add/remove additional windows components (I think) and try to remove explorer/ internet explorer. It should ask you if you want to reinstall it, so pick yes. If all else fails:

3) Your user profile is corrupt. Backup your my documents folder, delete your account and make a new one (go to control panel > user accounts to edit accounts), then put everything back in your my documents folder. Alot of settings will be gone but your data will still (more the most part) be in tact. I also recommend you backup your bookmarks if you use FF, go to bookmarks > Organize bookmarks > file > export

Let me know if any of this helps

Thanks
    EP Points

Sorry for the late reply, I thought I had things fixed when I re-installed PJ64 but that didn't work. I have a NVIDIA GeForce 8600 GTS, ForceWare version 101.02, 256MB video memory, Video BIOS version 60.84.18.00.06, IRQ number 16, and PCI Express x16 Bus.

There's nothing wrong with Explorer; I compared the 2 executables, one from this machine and another from a laptop. Their byte count is exactly the same, so it hasn't been modified. No offense Panda Man, but I don't want to have to go through the trouble of cleaning, formatting, and re-installing Windows for a simple application fix. Thanks for the suggestion, though.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Crash View Post
    Sorry for the late reply, I thought I had things fixed when I re-installed PJ64 but that didn't work. I have a NVIDIA GeForce 8600 GTS, ForceWare version 101.02, 256MB video memory, Video BIOS version 60.84.18.00.06, IRQ number 16, and PCI Express x16 Bus.

There's nothing wrong with Explorer; I compared the 2 executables, one from this machine and another from a laptop. Their byte count is exactly the same, so it hasn't been modified. No offense Panda Man, but I don't want to have to go through the trouble of cleaning, formatting, and re-installing Windows for a simple application fix. Thanks for the suggestion, though.
    There's your problem. Here's your solution:

http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp_163.69.html

or, if its XP 64-bit
    http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp64_163.69.html

Or vista 32-bit:
    http://www.nvidia.com/object/winvista_x86_163.69.html

Vista 64-bit:
    http://www.nvidia.com/object/winvista_x64_163.69.html

Let me know if this helps the 8xxx series had shitty drivers when it first came out, starting with the 15x.xx series most problems were fixed =D