Thread: Memory Card to USB

Thanks
    EP Points

Default Memory Card to USB

Hi guys,
    I need to extract PS1/PS2 game data from the memory card to the usb and back, what choices do I have to do this?

Thanks

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

The best option is Codebreaker

For PSX backup to a PS2 memcard first

For PS2 and PSX backups on a PS2 memcard just use the Codebreaker software to either backup direct to USB if your USB memstick is compatible

if your USB memstick is not compatible with Codebreaker then still use Codebreaker to compress the saves you wish to backup onto USB then use uLaunch to copy the compressed files over to USB

I will link up a guide soon I am sure I posted one a while back

EDIT: thought I did http://www.epforums.org/showthread.php?80517

read the guide as it does tell you why this is one of the best methods
    Last edited by Zorlon; 21st-August-2015 at 07:32.

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Zorlon For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    EP Points

Thanks! I'll give this a shot and will repost just in case I need to

I burnt Code Breaker to DVD disc and played it on PS2, it worked fine. Problem is that non of my USB's worked. Now I need to get Ulaunch however I have no clue what it is, how to use it, what it does and how to put it into my ps2... help please
    Last edited by Jackhammer; 23rd-August-2015 at 11:03. Reason: Double post

Thanks
    EP Points

You can buy an adapter or something, but i have found a very great and free way(for some people it's a bit difficult). I used uLaunchELF to install free mcboot, uLaunchELF is a browser that can only execute .ELF files, and when i tried it i figured out how to copy from MemCard to usb attached on ps2, and HEY! You may need a modchipped ps2 to play the burned disc.
    [B]-I hope this can help

NOTE: This is a little tricky, you can do it with codebreaker as someones says up there, but you can burn it to disc, but if you want a Easy way you can buy adapters, like this one here ►http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000K1GZIU .... too pricey eh? With uLaunchELF you can even copy from pc to usb and then paste it to your PS2 MemCard. I have found alot information about this so if you find a cheaper adapter not official from Sony (third-party) it will work only for ps3. [Biggest Note in History ]
    Last edited by Απόλλωνας; 22nd-August-2015 at 18:19. Reason: NOTE

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by chasesummers View Post
    I burnt Code Breaker to DVD disc and played it on PS2, it worked fine. Problem is that non of my USB's worked. Now I need to get Ulaunch however I have no clue what it is, how to use it, what it does and how to put it into my ps2... help please
    check the guide out it steps you through exactly what to press and when with non supported USB sticks

you can also use the Codebreaker elf files inside the guide directly from the USB stick so no need to of burned Codebreaker at all

http://www.epforums.org/showthread.php?80517 <- the guide that covers both methods to backup saves

As for the USB adaptor the only one that works with PC and that is with 3rd party software and drivers is the official PS2 to PS3 memcard reader, 3rd party ones do not work with the software and the official ones cost a lot for what they are also as previously mentioned doing a direct backup via uLaunch will corrupt some saves, that is why you just compress with Codebreaker then backup the compressed file with uLaunch to USB an example save is GTA San Andreas that will corrupt every time doing a direct backup from memcard to USB without the compression first
    Last edited by Zorlon; 22nd-August-2015 at 18:20.

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Zorlon For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    EP Points

Thank you for all your answers...
    I am following that guide however I'm confused and I feel a little silly now

7.You now want to select the destination of the save data with the D-Pad and then hit X (if there is only one device you only need hit X, as the D-Pad has no use)
    8.Next boot up uLaunch by whatever method you like

How do I boot uLaunch?
    I finished doing step 7 and now I'm just stuck. I downloaded uLaunchELF_v4.42b and put it in my USB but of course PS2 doesn't read USB so I'm just confused. Sorry!

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

What mod is your PS2 using?

I'm going to guess a mod chip though in that case you can use a CD or DVD with uLaunch on it you can find a one of those at http://sksapps.com/index.php?page=launchers.html

7 says there is only one device because you are compressing the save to the PS2 memcard unless you have more than one PS2 memcard then you will get another option

The USB stick can be read by the PS2 but the Codebreaker software does not support it, but uLaunch should be able to

8 if you want an easier way to launch elf files then you can always install a certain softmod, that will not effect any mod chips by the way and I have a guide up for that also, you can even add those items to the default PS2 gui with FBMC that is the main part of the soft mod the ESR part is for booting patched DVD's that would only have any great use for mod chips with limitations for example not all mod chips support games on multi DVD's though there are only a few games like that like xenosaga 2 and 3 (I don't count 1 as that is originally a DVD9 disc, ripped to 3 DVD's but that game does not have a real disc swap point and should work with all chips)
    Last edited by Zorlon; 23rd-August-2015 at 07:44.

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Zorlon For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    EP Points

Hey there don't be worried, i'm the one talked about uLaunch.ELF, you don't have to put the uLaunchELF on you USB drive, the PS2 of course DOES NOT read usb drives on it's own browser,uLaunchELF is to write it on a DVD drive (thats what i did) and thenyou can acces you usb memory stick from it(from uLaucnhELF) im sorry im getting you confused, and as i said up there "YOU HAVE TO MAKE YOUR PS2 READ BURNED DISCS" otherwise you can't boot up the uLaunch on ps2. The only way to get it running on a non-modded ps2 is from a glitch(or freemcboot but that's another story, difficult for you) Please don't forget the Thans Button for the Helpfull answers you get. See ya later

IMPORTANT NOTE: If you are new to the ps2 tricks stuff, the freemcboot may break your mind, None in the internet as i searched talked about the save copy-paste trick about the uLaunchELF, i just noticed it myself, if you find a complete guide to the stuff you want it can be easy for ya, but i did not.

http://forums.afterdawn.com/threads/copying-game-save-from-pc-to-ps2-using-ulaunchelf.468491/ ◄It may be easier to copy from ps2 to pc, beacause if you wish to get a downloaded from the internet you will have to deal with the save-builder thing to convert it to ps2-memcard file.

-the guide is if you have uLaunch burned on disc, in step 6) it says load it on your ps2 and it doesn't mean from usb-stick to ps2
    Last edited by Jackhammer; 23rd-August-2015 at 11:04. Reason: Triple post

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Απόλλωνας For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    EP Points

Thank you for the major replies, really appreciate it! It's been totally confusing, people use Free McBoot but I don't know if it's necessary. I managed to burn uLaunch to DVD and found the save files on the MC and copied the one I needed to USB successfully! phew! Thats all good right, it felt too easy and probably I'm missing something

Now I got a PSX game (final fantasy vii) in a file named BESCES-00867FF7-S07 - in it there are two files
    - PS2_MC_Backup_Attributes.BUP (bin)
    - BESCES-00867FF7-S07 (?)

I will be upgrading the save file through a program (black chocobo) and I think thats all I needed. Will this by any chance corrupt my save?

I tested it out and everything works perfectly fine! Thank you thank you thank you a million! *warm exciting hugs towards you* HA!
    Last edited by Zorlon; 23rd-August-2015 at 16:54.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to chasesummers For This Useful Post:

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

No problem, just glad you got there in the end

Editing a save can cause corruption yes but the backup from those files will not, not for PSX save files anyway, basically if you are going to edit a save do that from a backup so you still have the original to fall back on

I can't say I have used Black chocobo myself but if it was done correctly that should not corrupt the save anyway

It is very easy it's just a mouthful to explain it

The softmod is not needed no, but it can make things easier to access without the need to grab a disc for Codebreaker or uLaunch, but it is not a requirement
    Last edited by Zorlon; 25th-August-2015 at 07:43.

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Zorlon For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    EP Points

Thanks again

I had no corruption at all, before I found this program I used game shark and I had errors like ''save corrupted'' even though it wasn't. But now this is much faster and neat!