Thread: Easy way to make a DVD to install Open PS2 Loader v0.9.2 on a memory card (modded PS2)

Thanks
    EP Points

Default Easy way to make a DVD to install Open PS2 Loader v0.9.2 on a memory card (modded PS2)

Okay I never did this kind of thing and I'm just wondering if it's possible...Here's the deal:

I only have one working flashdrive and it's not compatible and I know that cause I can't use it on Action Replay Max Evo it just cannot read the thing! I don't want to buy a flashdrive just for a simple task like that so since my PS2 is modded with the original Matrix Infinity 1.93 and I want to install OPL to play games over network (SMB) I just thought the easier way is just make some kind of ISO with uLaunchelf and OPL inside burn it and then boot on my PS2 with uLaunchelf so I can copy the OPL ELF to my memory card. I know that matrix has some DEV1 thing that when I choose it the ELF in my memory card will boot automatically!

So can I do this? If I can anyone can please explain this to me how?
    "Truly, if there is evil in this world, it lies within
    the heart of mankind." - Edward D. Morrison (Tales of Phantasia)

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

I would try using ulauch to look at your flash drive things like Max Evo need certain hardware as in it does not work with all flash drives/aka pen drives, this has nothing to do with the PS2 itself and ulaunch supports more flash devices

P.S. you do know that flash drives are the same type of memory as SD cards anyway (both use flash chip storage) so even if ulaunch can not read the flash drive you have you may be able to use a SD card reader or even your phone as a USB memory stick or any other USB storage device I bet you have more than you think

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks
    EP Points

Thanks Zorlon!

I used the uLaunchELF v. 4.12 CD Image from SKS Apps cause it looked the fast way and as you said I could read my flashdrive without problems!

I should have tried first before asking but I thought it would be something about the PS2 hardware not the software and since I got some problems with my dvd burner I didn't want to waste all my blank dvd's to make a boot dvd that boot uLaunchelf but can't read my flashdrive while I could just have add the OPL.ELF somewhere in the dvd in the first place! Anyway after some fight and lot's of blank dvd's wasted I managed to burn a CD, boot it in the PS2 and with the file browser I could copy the files to my memory card.

Here is what I did feel free to correct me if I did something that will give me problems later: I created a folder named BOOT in the memory card and inside it I pasted the OPNPS2LD.ELF but I renamed it to BOOT.ELF that way I can make Matrix boot from DEV1 so it will read my memory card and go directly to OPL. Thing is the memory card save for OPL looks ugly with that corrupt data blue square So I manage to download some icon and I just put at my BOOT folder.

So I have somes questions:

1 The reason I want to load games from SMB is to save my laser and hopefully my dear PS2 so can this messing around with my memory card damage it?

2 I noticed that even running games from SMB my PS2 gets a little hot. I thought that without the DVD running inside it it would be like it was off and don't get any hotter! Is this normal?

3 Inside my memory card I have the OPL save and the file that looks like a save of the settings in OPL. After I save something different in OPL I get another corrupted blue file inside the memory card! Why this happens?

4 Why OPL will not open my shared games folder if I don't put my PC login and password in the settings?
    Last edited by Bruno; 27th-July-2015 at 02:14.

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

1. nope, the PS2 operates fine without a memcard at all, though memcards can become corrupt like any other flash memory but personally never had an issue there but only have used official 8MB cards

2. heat is caused from the internal chips (not talking about the mod chip) not the DVD drive, that is normal

3. it just isn't setup as a normal save so shows as corrupt, you can change that by adding an icon file and whatever the other files was I forget off the top of my head and don't use OPL myself anyway

4. No idea not used that myself so this is as far as I can help out sorry , but the official forum for OPL may be of help for these Q's
    Last edited by Zorlon; 29th-July-2015 at 06:58. Reason: oops

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks
    EP Points

Thanks the one that makes me feel better is that the heat is normal. I love to take care of my things The reason I ask is cause my softmodded Wii never get's hot and I never heard the cooler making noise. But in the PS2 Slim I get this little heat in the console and the cooler is on and I can hear it. I thought that running a game from HD or SMB would make the console never get hot but since it's normal I'm fine.

To make a save like that's not corrupt you need to copy icon.sys and icon file for that save inside the folder and it will fix it!

Anyway I will try the official forum for more advanced questions. But it's pretty much working OK here and I loved to see how well it works without lag or anything.

Did you ever used that uLaunchELF v. 4.12 DVD Image from SKS Apps? I don't know if it's my burner problem but when I burn this one the PS2 will not boot it displaying a message saying: that's not a video DVD or something but If I use the CD version it works OK. Just saying in case you know the guy that made the site and can warn him to test it but it's not a big deal for me since I got it working.

EDIT: Found the answers in the official forum:

Quote Originally Posted by Bruno View Post
    3 Inside my memory card I have the OPL save and the file that looks like a save of the settings in OPL. After I save something different in OPL I get another corrupted blue file inside the memory card! Why this happens?
    "The 3rd one you are talking about is SYS-CONF. IPCONFIG.DAT is expected to be in that folder by vast majority of homebrew working with network, it's much more convenient to just edit one network config instead of each for every single homebrew."

Quote Originally Posted by Bruno View Post
    4 Why OPL will not open my shared games folder if I don't put my PC login and password in the settings?
    "whatever you use as a password on your PC that has the shared folder. Best to use an admin account. Since I use a password protected shared folder for OPL, I must enter a username and a password. Win 7 requires this to have a stable connection between your PC and the PS2 over SMB."

In case someone find this thread in a search there is another forum that has a great guide about it! Just google this: PS2 Home OPL Settings Guide [TUTORIAL]

you should join the SMB train too Zorlon But I guess you must have a HD for you PS2 so it's better
    Last edited by Bruno; 28th-July-2015 at 00:28.

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

I use ESR as my PS2 is a slim but hardly use my PS2 to be honest anyway, not in recent years anyway, played more on the Saturn Dreamcast and Xbox

If I had a small network hub then maybe but my crossover is used mostly for my xbox

The last console I streamed via a network was the GameCube but that has lag issues with only a few games that ran smoothly, mostly those that did not use FMV
    Last edited by Zorlon; 29th-July-2015 at 07:06.

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]

Thanks
    EP Points

Oh yeah I remember seeing you making topics about this ESR. It let's you play without modchip but the newer models can't right? as I already have a modchip and my slim can't use a HD I got real interested in OPL cause I can play the games that are compatible from the SMB and the ones that lags or don't work I can just play the normal way. Sometimes I got this craving to play old games so I got it off from the storage

Yeah OPL over the SMB doesn't seem so perfect now for me as I'm trying to play Castlevania Lament of Innocence that says it is compatible in the compat list but after like a hour playing the fmv's start lagging for no reason! I'm going to test more cause I think it's my setup but the better ways to play still are PS2 DVD and HD.

EDIT:

After lot of tests and some ppl telling me to give up and just get a phat PS2 to use with a HD thanks to my pain in the ass never give up the tests attitude I managed to fix the problem I just used some other crazy fix that I saw in a old thread! some guy was saying that a game worked for him by simply using the VMC (Virtual memory card) and that fixed my problems too!!!!! Anyway just updating here in case someone ever find this topic.

Thanks

this is so compicatedd

i only stuck with easy modchips burn dvd and bam game plays all tho solider 21-28 wire mod chip in was the hard part
    Last edited by Zorlon; 17th-August-2015 at 04:16.

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

I just use a easy softmod, just copy a few files over patch a dvd game image and burn it and bam game plays

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]