Thread: Question about the format the Wii ISOs are when served in the Emporium

Thanks
    EP Points

Default Question about the format the Wii ISOs are when served in the Emporium

Which mode of ISO are the uploaded Wii games?

ISO-9660 or Wii ISO, the ones that can play on a Wii when modified and played with Uloader for the Wii?

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Any format will work with a USB loader

Best format for USB is WBFS format anyway, so it will get converted using a wbfs manager that accepts iso images just fine, I keep the manager on the actual Wii USB HDD and set that to autorun when plugged into my PC, though occasionally I may way to use the virtual Nand manager software instead

The USB drive can be Standard NTFS or FAT32 (best would be Fat32 with 32KB clusters to cover all compat [That is more for GameCube support]) anyway no need to format the drive as WBFS though, the wbfs format for files is just a compressed image with junk removed (That loader only supports Fat32 though, kinda find that odd myself though, but I use USB Loader GX, have done for years but it's not for everyone I guess [It's the latest revision (It's a higher version than 3.0 (released in 2012) that is the latest stable version but lacks a lot of features that the latest build has that the last was made on the 10th of May 2015)])

All RAW dumps are a full media size another words 4.5GB or Dual Layer size (No idea what a Wii ISO is vs a ISO-9660, I would guess that one is a Raw Dump and the other is a PC standard build DVD image, but that would be dumb) for the few that are dual layer originally even if the game data does not take up that much space, I know of a few games that are only a few MB but a RAW dump would be a full 4.5GB that is simply not needed when running from a USB HDD

You can rip out junk yourself and keep the original standard of a RAW dump just with the junk removed and the update data if wanted can also be removed

A USB stick can be used but it is not advisable as there are more compat issues though there are fixes for that if I remember correctly, it's been a while since I had to resolve that issue though, but I have gone though that on the forum before

P.S. I took a second look at uLoader, not even sure why you would use it, it seems to lack many features

No GC support, only supports ciso from Fat32, no SD or Disc support ect ect

The top 3 loaders are...

USB Loader GX
    Configurable USB Loader
    WiiFlow
    Last edited by Zorlon; 3rd-June-2015 at 04:10.

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks
    EP Points

I personally use Wii Backup Manager to convert my downloaded Wii Iso files into WBFS files for the USB Loader on the actual Wii. Helps me keep track of what games I have as well.
    Love knows no bounds.

As a cryptography and computer security expert, I have never understood the current fuss about the open source software movement. In the cryptography world, we consider open source necessary for good security; we have for decades. Public security is always more secure than proprietary security. It's true for cryptographic algorithms, security protocols, and security source code. For us, open source isn't just a business model; it's smart engineering practice.
    Bruce Schneier, Crypto-Gram 1999/09/15