Thread: Anybody know if Rare employees yet leaked a Dinosaur Planet rom or cart?

Thanks
    EP Points

Default Anybody know if Rare employees yet leaked a Dinosaur Planet rom or cart?

I saw this thread here http://www.epforums.org/showthread.p...net-ROM-exists which was from a while ago now. I never even heard of the game before I saw it in this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X6p5AZp7r_Q (starting at time 0:57) where the woman is complaining about how sexist Nintendo was in their decision to take the game and change the female protagonist into a male protagonist, and then make the female protagonist into a stereotypical victim to be rescued by the male protagonist. Never heard of the game before I saw it in that video. Obviously the end result of this change was the game Starfox Adventures. But now I'm like, "hey I'd love to try out that game, just to see how good it was in its original form". So I do a Google search for "dinosaur planet rom leak", and NOTHING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It appears that whatever employees worked at Rare, decided not to leak the rom (or the beta cart which gaming fans could then dump the rom using certain game dumping devices). But I hope that I'm mistaken, and that it does exist somewhere. Does anybody here on EP forums know if somewhere, in the deepest darkest places on the net, there exists a copy of the leaked rom for this game?

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Videogamer555 View Post
    I saw this thread here http://www.epforums.org/showthread.p...net-ROM-exists which was from a while ago now. I never even heard of the game before I saw it in this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X6p5AZp7r_Q (starting at time 0:57) where the woman is complaining about how sexist Nintendo was in their decision to take the game and change the female protagonist into a male protagonist, and then make the female protagonist into a stereotypical victim to be rescued by the male protagonist. Never heard of the game before I saw it in that video. Obviously the end result of this change was the game Starfox Adventures. But now I'm like, "hey I'd love to try out that game, just to see how good it was in its original form". So I do a Google search for "dinosaur planet rom leak", and NOTHING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It appears that whatever employees worked at Rare, decided not to leak the rom (or the beta cart which gaming fans could then dump the rom using certain game dumping devices). But I hope that I'm mistaken, and that it does exist somewhere. Does anybody here on EP forums know if somewhere, in the deepest darkest places on the net, there exists a copy of the leaked rom for this game?
    anita sarkeesian *facepalm* seriously? please, PLEASE tell me you were not relying on her as a source of information. i'd rather bash my head against something hard than ever rely on her for information on ANYTHING gaming related.

as for the rom in question... this looks like a case of potential vaporware. i say that as from what i can tell, no cart and thus no ROM of it exists or has been discovered yet at least. if the game does exist in some form, it's likely to be a beta copy or something as it seems it was the game RARE was making before changing the design to starfox adventure.

Thanks
    EP Points

Just reading the title I thought Nintendo peed a dinosaur. Boy was I wrong.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Zaladane View Post
    Just reading the title I thought Nintendo peed a dinosaur. Boy was I wrong.
    lol

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by treos View Post
    anita sarkeesian *facepalm* seriously? please, PLEASE tell me you were not relying on her as a source of information. i'd rather bash my head against something hard than ever rely on her for information on ANYTHING gaming related.

as for the rom in question... this looks like a case of potential vaporware. i say that as from what i can tell, no cart and thus no ROM of it exists or has been discovered yet at least. if the game does exist in some form, it's likely to be a beta copy or something as it seems it was the game RARE was making before changing the design to starfox adventure.
    Don't use her for info. I just discovered her video the other day. Truth is, I have no idea why Nintendo changed the protagonist from Crystal to Fox McCloud. But one thing I did discover through her video were a couple games I've never heard of before. One of them was this Dinosaur Planet, and the other was Super Princess Peach (a game which DID get produced).

But seriously, what would make the guys at Rare choose to NOT leak the cartridge for the beta version of the game? They should know that when a game is not released officially, that to leak it online is a MAJOR BENEFIT to the gaming community as a whole, and that we gamers will be very thankful for their actions. The fact is that it was more than in beta state though. At E3 2000, there was a playable copy that you could try out. That must have been like an RC (release candidate) version, which is a LOT closer to release than a beta version. I'm hoping that whoever was responsible for setting up that game to be played by those attending E3, will still have a copy (or knows how to obtain one from Rare's developer archive) and will leak it to the net eventually.

Thanks
    EP Points

eh, who knows why it didn't get leaked. might turn up some day somewhere. think i did come across a bit of info on a cart (maybe it was one of those E3 carts or something, i dunno) when i looked but it was one of those rewritable temporary carts that only hold data so long as the battery or whatever it uses held a charge and the cart in question was dead so its a dud or a collector's item at best. aside from that, i didn't see much other than what you're adding here tbh.

i did find a post on a star fox forum though, where someone was complaining about dino planet being like a furry first person shooter...on a forum about a furry game. lol that was mildly amusing.

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

There are beta versions of Star Fox Dino Planet but N64 cart's beta's or other early code nope no one has dumped any

As for playable E3 contents that may not of been from a cart at all or even from an actual N64, but from an official dev machine so not in cart form, but rather code form stored on floppy or HDD at the time (can still be pushed onto an N64 via dev cart directly hooked to a dev machine or via the floppy bay that hooks to a standard N64)

There is always hope but in all honestly I would not hold your breath

I would not know how difficult it would be compiling dev kit code into an actual rom is or even if the code was ready for that or if there would need to be some form of finishing done first to the code before compiling, that and don't know of anyone having the code to release
    Last edited by Zorlon; 9th-April-2015 at 19:08.

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks
    EP Points

My understanding was that developers in the N64 era used "flash carts" to test games (volatile memory RAM carts for developers that used a battery for power were from SNES and NES eras). Flash are non-volatile memory chips, so the game stays even after power is off, forever, unless it is manually deleted. The flash cart would have a USB connector, which would allow the developer to transfer the compiled game rom file onto the flash cart from his computer. Then the cart would be disconnected from the USB cable, and it would be inserted into the N64, just like a regular cartridge. When power is applied it would run the game like a normal cartridge. I was under the impression that such a flash cart was used at the the E3 event to make this game playable for the general public.

And even if the only copy exists on some development harddrive in Rare's basement archive, then it still exists, and it would only take ONE employee who feels it's his duty to the gaming community to make it available, for it to one day appear on the net. I'm surprised that NOBODY has done that yet.

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

They passed the code through a cart port device though the data is stored on a computer and just passed through, so no data was actually stored directly on the card slot device

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Zorlon View Post
    There is always hope but in all honestly I would not hold your breath
    that goes for an old snes ROM fan translation (Dark Half) that i've always wanted and have been waiting to be completed too (some day...some day i shall have a fully translated copy of that game and be able to see just how the great battle of light and darkness between the paladin and satan ends.).

well, if nothing else i'm probably learning a bit about how they handled these kinds of ROMs and stuff back then with this thread.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Zorlon View Post
    They passed the code through a cart port device though the data is stored on a computer and just passed through, so no data was actually stored directly on the card slot device
    You sure about that? I thought game companies used flash-carts for beta/test versions of games they develop, where the game is stored by writing the compiled ROM file on the computer to the flash memory of the cartridge, where it would remain forever unless the data was deleted manually at some later time. I thought that then the beta flash carts were stored in the development vault for archival purposes, in case they ever needed to be run again for any reason in the future, and that manual deletion (which is possible with flash) was only used in VERY RARE circumstances where it was for some reason important to destroy a particular copy of the game.
    Last edited by Videogamer555; 19th-April-2015 at 10:42.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by treos View Post
    that goes for an old snes ROM fan translation (Dark Half) that i've always wanted and have been waiting to be completed too (some day...some day i shall have a fully translated copy of that game and be able to see just how the great battle of light and darkness between the paladin and satan ends.).
    It will happen sooner than you think - Aeon Genesis ressurected the translation. They even promised to finish it before this summer.

On the topic of Dinosaur Planet - if the beta rom truly did leak, it would made the headlines. This game is one of the ultimate canceled videogames, after all. I frequently visit Unseen64, and I haven't noticed any really important updates to their DP article in two last years (aside from some videos). They have tons of neat stuff on this project though, like transcription of DP dialogue leftovers from SFA disc or leaked music.