Thread: xbox original - more powerful than Wii?

Thanks

Default xbox original - more powerful than Wii?

or at least about the same, crazy the Wii got Call of Duty Black Ops and MW3 and the online for that still works

I've owned both and xbox original especially with coinops seems to be the better emulator console, also can't stand the wireless controls of wii

Thanks
    EP Points

Thanks

gotta admit,xbox is the best console for modding and emulators.so easy to do compared with 360.psp being the second best.
    never owned a wii so couldnt evaluate that.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,577 Times in 1,219 Posts
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Gulcasa View Post
    Too bad the Xbox had like 2 good games total.
    Xbox is much better for shooters, and plenty of titles that are on PS2 as well actually look better on Xbox.
    I would say if you don't play PC variants (you're a console gamer) and play more than just jrpg's there are enough titles on Xbox to warrant owning the console, even if you don't use it for emulation. But you'd be a fool not to take advantage of the emulation side of things.

Spoiler warning:

Thanks
    EP Points

Yeah, multiplats ran and looked far better on the Xbox almost without exception. The consoles themselves are dirt cheap now too. If you’re into that generation of games there’s no real reason not to own one.

It didn’t have much in the way of Japanese games if that's what you're into. Tecmo and From Software are two of the only devs that come to mind, but there were a fair few ports and even a handful of exclusives that still haven’t been released on any other platform. Metal Wolf Chaos is the one everyone raves about but to my mind the Otogi series are the real gems. They easily stack up against anything on the PS2.

Thanks
    EP Points

I think the Original XBOX is good mostly for emulation.

It's still a very strong point, but old WWE games were king in Playstation consoles mostly.

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Tons of great games mostly action related but there are some odd gems in the mix, for better results grab component cables though finding good quality ones you may find a bit of a struggle as most 3rd party cables suck

Not a fan of Halo myself but plenty love em
    Fable is still a great game
    Multi plats as stated are great/greater on xbox
    There are a few Horror games that are great on the xbox most are PC/Xbox and a few Multi plats like Silent Hill 2 and 4
    The Star Wars RPG's Knights of the Old Republic 1 and 2 are fantastic games, for me the best Star Wars themed games with a totally new story line that has nothing to do with the films
    I done a mod of GTA SA that I did not mod of the PS2 lol, same for the Phantasy Star Online game vs the GC version, though the GC version can still be played online
    Shenmue II had a very nice remake for the Xbox originally for my fav console being the Dreamcast

I will go on later I have work soon

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

I hacked both a box and Wii. I sold them both due to money issues, but I only regretted losing the Wii.

In all honesty, I only hacked the box to see how hard it was. It was a waste of my time.

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

I use my Xbox more than my Wii myself but I love them both not just for the released games on the systems but yes also for the homebrew including emulation, though I tend to use the Wii more for lightgun emulated games for obvious reasons and the xbox for just about everything else, the Wii also has the GameCube games to it's collection and GameCube controllers if the Wii Motes are a bit sucky for you as well as classic controllers (Though I only got the older Classic controller that I don't like myself but the newer design looks like it should be much better) I don't like Xbox controllers either, but I got myself a PS2 pad hooked up to my xbox via a converter.

EDIT: to actually answer the original Q the Xbox is way more powerful than the Wii but there is more recent..ish activity for homebrew on the Wii, mostly because most things have already been done on the Xbox and run rather well to start with
    Last edited by Zorlon; 15th-May-2015 at 06:59.

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks

In usable sense yes, but I'm not sure with the actually spec side of things. I know for sure that my xbox can handle 720p Mkv files and my wii boogles on it or lockup.

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Xbox can handle 1080 video just fine if you actually wanted to do that
    but as a media player the wii is rather sucky to be honest anyway, though this is poassibly more because of what is available rather than how powerfull it is

Specs are about on par mostly
    Xbox CPU: 32-bit 733 MHz (Intel Based)
    Wii CPU: 32-bit 729 MHz (IBM Based)
    Xbox GPU: 233 MHz (Microsoft and Nvidia based) (I would go into more detail but as there is no comparison info there is no point)
    Wii GPU: 243 MHz (ATI based) (Not much in extended detail for this chip)
    Xbox System Mem 64 MB
    Wii System Men 64 MB

Sounds great an all and does put the Wii on par ish spec for spec wise but there is also a lack of information for the Wii's specs to do a true comparison, specially the GPU side and that none of it seems to be of any sort of standard we are used to seeing

Graphics either have not been taken advantage of very well for the Wii or you have already seen it at it's best, that is good for alot of games but still at 480p, the Xbox has a number of 720p games and a very small amount of 1080i games though most of the 1080i games are simplistic in the graphics department mostly, though even though 480p seem the best on the Wii for Wii games a few of those have graphics that would out do some of the older games on Xbox but only some as others do have very nice graphics on Xbox, this may be in part the style

Emulators, and unofficial game ports ect seem to have more enhancements on the Xbox to what the Wii offers

The Wii can output 480i/p (576i PAL system display though most PAL games support 480 or atleast have an option if 576i is even supported plus widescreen modes for lots of games) I am fairly sure nothing higher is supported

Xbox supports 480i/p (576i) 720p (Just a small number of games support this though) 1080i (very few support this) [Most games lack Widescreen but there are a number of games that do, more a sign of the times that anything to do with the power of it]
    Last edited by Zorlon; 15th-May-2015 at 19:13.

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]

Thanks
    EP Points

Ummm from what I heard back in the day the Nintendo Wii was compared to an upgraded xbox.... back in the day. I guess the wii is slighty better as the Wii U is slighty better than the ps3 and xbox 360.
    Besides Ninja gaiden looked amazing on xbox, that console could offer a lot more.