Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can't get FF VI or Tenchu to run

Thanks

Default Can't get FF VI or Tenchu to run

Okay. I have been using ePSXe 1.7.0 to run a few games, and all has been well. However, trying to run Final Fantasy Anthology (to play VI) and Tenchu, I have an issue. When I unpacked them, I got *.ccd, *.sub, and *.ecm files. I have tried to use the PakISO tools to convert the unpacked files, but none of the tools seem to run on the files.

Spoiler warning:
    I am running a Dual-core TK-53 1.70 ghz proc, have 896 MB RAM, and run on an XP serv. 2 OS.

Plugins used are Pete's D3D Driver 1.77 for video, the ePSXe SPU core 1.7.0 for sound, and ePSXe CDR WNT/WNK core 1.7.0 for the cdROM. I have looked for other images for the games, and couldn't find them. I have not tried other emus.

The error message I get is
    *Error loading isofile: *\PSX\Games\{game name}
    when I load the *.ccd or *.ecm

Thanks
    Thanked 2,577 Times in 1,219 Posts
    EP Points

Unecm.

Spoiler warning:

Thanks

*Trying*

Last night this didn't want to work, but now the unECM is working.....wtf? Thank you deadLegion.

The world of emulation is strange indeed. thank you again!

Tenchu worked, but I am still not having any luck with the Final Fantasy Anthology. I try to unECM, and nothing happens. I am using the drag and drop method if it matters. I have tried each of the three files that come out of unpacking with each of the ECM tools (unpakISO,unECM, sox, 7sa, all of them in the PAKKiso toolset). NADA.
    Last edited by Lecayle; 12th-March-2015 at 23:05. Reason: update in info

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Drag and drop the .ecm file onto unECM.exe, sounds like you're doing it right. Anthology was V and VI, iirc. You can easily find them on other emulators, like ZSNES with a SNES ROM.

Be afraid. Be very afraid.

Thanks

I didnt realize FF VI was on SNES. I have only ever heard of the PSX version...*looks for SNES version*. Seriously appreciate the help.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Lecayle View Post
    I didnt realize FF VI was on SNES.
    On the off-chance you aren't familiar with the way Square named their FF games back then, FF4 was released in the US as FF2, and FF6 was released as FF3 here. I'm pretty sure it was for reasons similar to how the real Mario Bros 2 wasn't initially released in the US (called Lost Worlds here), and instead they opted to release a game more substantially different from the first. With the real first three FF games being NES games with very similar art styles, releasing 4 as 2 instead provided more contrast.

Anyway, I would also recommend playing the Snes version of FF6 over the PS1 version. Though the PS1 version has some nice cutscenes added, it also has load times, which while they aren't that bad, can still be pretty annoying. You might also look into the GBA version, which has an extra dungeon and esper available. While you're at it, maybe give FF5 a look too: if you enjoy class systems like the one in FF1 (but much more fleshed out), you'll probably really like it.
    "I think that the problem with this video is it is highly derivative of many popular bands within the genre. Although when viewed on its own merits, it does have a deeper groove. However what it has in groove, it lacks in originality. One can't help but be reminded of such bands as Pearl Jam, White Zombie, Suicidal Tendencies and other bands that bear the mantle of so called "Alternative Rock". One is even reminded of Lorie Anderson when she wore curlers. Hehehmhm! This video speaks less to the heart and more to the sphincter. In closing, I think Korn would do well to learn more from -"

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

There are translated versions of all the SNES Final Fantasy Jap version games IV to VI even though IV and VI got a US release under II and III same goes for the NES Final Fantasy games you can get Final Fantasy to Finial Fantasy III for the NES translated also

US got FF 1 for NES FF2 for SNES and FF3 for SNES then the PSX got FF7 (go figure) but that was because the US reverted to the Jap numbering

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks
    EP Points

I didnt realize FF VI was on SNES. I have only ever heard of the PSX version...*looks for SNES version*. Seriously appreciate the help.
    The reason you didn't know is because of how they were released in the US. The FIRST Final Fantasy was released on both the Japanese Famicom and the US NES. In Japan, Final Fantasy II & III were released on the Famicom but it was too late for the US to get them because the SNES was out. So, Final Fantasy IV was released as Final Fantasy II in the US. Ted Woolsey translated Final Fantasy V but said to Square that US audiences wouldn't get it. Because of this, they gave him 30 days to translate Final Fantasy VI and it was released in the US as Final Fantasy III. When Square went to Sony for Final Fantasy VII, they internationally went with the correct numbers, confusing US players the world over. Since then, numbers on rereleases, such as the PSX, DS, GBA etc, have the proper number.

Personally, I prefer the SNES versions of IV, V, and VI. If you're playing on emulators, I prefer SNES9x over bsnes, Higan, or ZSNES. As for the worthwhile hacks of IV and VI, you can check out my signature for the uncensored version. I'm still working on IV (with a new version of it soon), but I've completed VI with the Ted Woolsey Uncensored Edition. It has a cleaned up script, uncensored graphics, a B Button Dash, and the proper title screen, plus a few extras like some bug fixes. I'd download the patch and use Lunar IPS to patch over a Final Fantasy III US 1.0 unheadered ROM.

Thanks
    EP Points

i've seen people ask for help with FFII in the past only to find out they were playing IV and they'd deny it up and down the whole time, insisting the game was FFII. ty for that, Nintendo, its irritating when something like that comes up due to inconsistent names for some games (or numbers in the titles in this case).

Thanks
    EP Points

Well it had to do with releases. II & III weren't released here, so it wouldn't have made sense to release a game that didn't yet have the following it does now and call it IV. If FFVII was released on N64 like initial plans were I'm sure it would have been called FFIV here in the US. But now we just have to live correcting people and teaching them about the series funky numbers.

Thanks

Thank you guys for the history lessons. While I was aware that FF has much confusion associated with their western numbers versus the originals, other than the release of FF6, which I am told has one of the BEST classic JRPG job systems, on PSX and GBA (or was it DS), I don't yet require the other FF titles. I have enough hours of gameplay with Chrono Trigger, Dragon Warrior, Secret of Mana, Demon's Crest, FF Tactics, and several others. As far as the numbers system mentioned, I am referring to the original FF6 western release. However, if it was part of the retro boom we had a few years back for GBA, I would be more inclined to pick up the ROM for GBA, only because my emu for it is more Lecayle-friendly. I am still trying to figure out ePSXe, but am quickly falling in love.

I do recall that in 1997 when FFVII was released it caused quite a stir in the gaming community because people were like "what the hey, this one is four games after what it should be!!!" I also remember I was flumoxed when squaresoft and Enix merged. I though to myself it could be great or just really bad. Turned out a little bit on the 75% good. We got great composers from Square, and a crapton of innovators from Enix. As far as the history lessons, I love to hear them. Keep them coming if yiou so feel!!

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

For Final Fantasy you might want to dig up a wiki like http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...sy_video_games

I & II have had a few re-releases best versions for game content are on the GBA and the PSP
    III has had a few also including the DS version with 3D graphics
    IV: The After Years was extra content that is included in the PSP version or was a separate game for WiiWare & various phones
    V and VI PSX though only really added FMV (Not played the GBA ports though from what I read they do have extra content)
    VII and up you should know already for the main games anyway

Side games, there are a few, though one of the best is the one for the PSP, called Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII, an action adventure RPG taking you through a story of Zack and Cloud before the events of Final Fantasy VII on PSX

The Wiki also shows spin off games and series that may e worth a look

As for how well each of those emulate I would not know I use hardware over emulation for more modern systems
    Last edited by Zorlon; 18th-March-2015 at 15:27.

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks

I was still unable to unECM the FF title, no matter what I tried. However due to the friendly info from several of you I found out I already had a working copy for my snes emmy. So far ff anthology is the only game that has acted up with the unpak toolbox.

Shooting Sonic Booms and Flash Kicking Scrubs into submission
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,774 Times in 750 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

http://www.epforums.org/showthread.p...=Final+Fantasy

There is the redump images of FF Anthology, if you want the rest either check the masterlist or do a advanced search in thr PSX section and search my username and Final Fantasy and you will hit the jackpot.

No ECM bullcocky to deal with.
    THE BEST METHOD to run PSX games (and everything else for that matter) is via Retroarch - http://buildbot.libretro.com/nightly/
    If you have any questions on how to set it up on Windows please feel free to ask, its very easy.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

FF6, which I am told has one of the BEST classic JRPG job systems, on PSX and GBA (or was it DS)
    FF5 had the job system, and FF3(Japan). So not FF3(US) or FF6(Japan). It should be available on SNES emulators or FFAnthology for PSX, among other systems. FF6 has Espers, the crystalline remains of magical beings, which can teach your party to use Magic and give stat boosts. It also has Relms paint bug <3

http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Job_System has info about which FF games you should look for if you like the Job System.

Be afraid. Be very afraid.