Hello Everybody,

I am new to the forums here, just wanted to pop in and ask a few questions: one about general computing as it related to emulation and another about the way isos/bins/roms/whatever work here at Emu.

As for the first question: Is it possible to get a "bad" iso/bin/rom/whatever? (Im just going to say "iso" from now on...) Meaning an iso that some random dude maliciously cracks, inserts bad code (or works voodoo magic, etc) and posts online to harm people who download and use it in conjunction with an emulator? If these files are indeed crackable, is there any way (aside from simply trusting the source) to ascertain how clean and virus/bad code free the iso is?

This kinda brings me to my second question: where do the isos on Emu actually come from? Some of the links on the forums link out to other sites for the download, so that is pretty obviously not hosted here, but what about the isos that one gets from the list on the left side of the Emu page? We never leave the Emu domain, but we are given a download link. Where do these links lead and how trustworthy are they?

I would greatly appreciate any information you guys could provide, as well as any input you may have to offer. And if I have posted in the incorrect forum, I would ask a mod to move it to the appropriate one. I figure for now, "Everything Emulation --> Arcade, MISC & PC Games" ought to be a good place to start. So, lets begin!

Cheers,
BLAH