Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: PS2 Softmod

Thanks
    EP Points

I see I read up a couple of games work with various results. I'm using connect it dvd+r discs. So for the link you've given me it'll tell me which dvds would be accepted by the ps2 when I find out the media code?

I've just had a thought after looking at your guide Zorlon do I need to use the ESR dvd patcher first then burn the backup disc?
    Last edited by kripz; 28th-January-2015 at 15:46.

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

ESR discs are for use after the mod if you install the ESR mod but they can't be used before the mod is installed

Did not even know they done burnable media, so can't comment on the brand itself

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks
    EP Points

Okay thanks Zorlon, I got fed up with tinkering with it and I'm going to buy 007 AUF now also which dvds do you recommend?

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

I get verbatim DVD+R 100 spindles from Amazon myself, these are good quality ones, I wouldn't know if the smaller spindles are the same or not

Those are not the only high quality media around and not exactly the cheapest, not badly priced though

EDIT you can also try changing the Book type from +R to -R, to make sure there is no media compat issues but Slim PS2's should not have issues
    Last edited by Zorlon; 28th-January-2015 at 18:02.

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks
    EP Points

Thanks for the advice Zorlon. In your softmod guide the uncompressed boot is different to the one in the free mcboot page which one should I use? I'm expecting the game on monday and I'm going to buy the dvds you recommended. Should I follow the guide you compiled or the one on the free mcboot page?

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

What exact boot file are you talking about?

The one in my guide should be fine, I made it so it skips a few regional steps so some files are pre prepared, though it may be that something has been updated since I done my guide.

P.S. you are welcome to link to the exact pack or file at the official free mcboot page if you like so I can check it out for you

Though once installed you can update anything you like easy enough because at that point it can read files from USB and just copy over the ones on the Memcard

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]

Thanks
    Thanked 2,577 Times in 1,219 Posts
    EP Points

I think he's talking about the uncompressed BOOT.ELF on the sksapps game swap trick link I posted?

The link again:
    http://bootleg.sksapps.com/tutorials/fmcb/swap.php

BOOT.ELF I think he is talking about:
    Download Links:
    Links are hidden from guests. Please register to be able to view these links.

Spoiler warning:

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Will wait for the OP to reply but if it is just for the game replaced elf probably best to use that one as it known to work with that game, the copy that I have is a compressed version, that does not need to be uncompressed for it's use, only when replacing an ELF would it need to be the uncompressed version

Mine may be newer also anyway

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]

Thanks
    EP Points

It's the boot.elf thanks deadlegion. To be certain I should use the one on the FMB page then? I tried using it with MGS3 and Splinter Cell Chaos Theory I think it may be the disc brand I used or the file just doesn't work with them games. At this point I just want to play backups I don't need the SMS or other stuff I can just delete them once its installed? Once its softmodded will I be able to play any region games on it through ESR? Plus I was rereading the replies you both sent once its installed which sensors do I free up Zorlon? Or can I just leave them the way they are and nothing will break?
    Last edited by kripz; 29th-January-2015 at 20:48.

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

For the disc mod yes use the one DL linked (I went into detail in my last post)

I would say the later that it does not work with those games

Free up the front one (the one with the power button on it) so multi DVD games work after modding the back one can remain blocked, ESR does not require sensors blocked at all

The ESR is region free yes but if your TV can't display 50Hz or 60Hz then that is something else
    Last edited by Zorlon; 30th-January-2015 at 05:16.

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]

Thanks
    EP Points

Thanks Zorlon, Okay so its the one game it will work with. The back one with the paper stopping it can remain like that then?

I have a HDTV so the 50Hz and 60Hz is not a problem.

I was looking at component cables for my ps2, I've read it is better quality. Currently I'm using the normal cable with a scart extension in the back of the tv. The problem I have is the games have a thin black borders round them is it worth investing in a component cable? Will it make the borders disappear?

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by kripz View Post
    Thanks Zorlon, Okay so its the one game it will work with. The back one with the paper stopping it can remain like that then?

I have a HDTV so the 50Hz and 60Hz is not a problem.

I was looking at component cables for my ps2, I've read it is better quality. Currently I'm using the normal cable with a scart extension in the back of the tv. The problem I have is the games have a thin black borders round them is it worth investing in a component cable? Will it make the borders disappear?
    Nope, border will still be there

P.S. a lot of NTSC HDTV's still can't display PAL 50Hz, but Most later PAL TV's and HDTV's can display in 60Hz just fine

Component gives High Def display even though most games will be 480p/480i or whatever the PAL equivalent is not many games used anything higher on the PS2, so that is High Def display but not High Def resolution with most of the PS2 games.
    Last edited by Zorlon; 30th-January-2015 at 21:11.

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]

Thanks
    EP Points

Okay thanks Zorlon, Is there any need for me to buy a component cable then?

The paper in the back sensor can't be removed then?

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

None what so ever

You can remove the paper if you like it will not prevent ESR from working either way as long as the front one is not blocked in any way

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]

Thanks
    EP Points

Okay thanks Zorlon, I've got another issue now I bought the game off ebay its not in good condition so when I tried to rip the iso using imageburn it would stop at the 51% mark. It has read errors somewhere its pretty scratched up.

I've put the game in my ps2 and completed the first mission and the second one has come up and it works fine.

What I was wondering is can I use an 007:AUF Europe iso from here and put the boot.elf on that burn it and use that when it comes to the disc swap bit?

My dvds are coming hopefully early next week.