Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: PS2 Softmod

Thanks
    EP Points

Default PS2 Softmod

Hey Guys I got a ps2 scph 75003 PAL I was looking at the softmod guide which is in this forum to install FreeMcboot.

I tried one of the suggestions which would not work is to put all the files on the usb drive and plug it in I tried this but the device wouldn't show up first I tried it with an 8gb usb device formatted to fat32 then I tried my old mp3 player which is formatted to FAT stilll it wasn't recongised. Do I need to use something in conjunction with the usb?

The other method I saw was the disk swap method I have mgs3 aswell as a dvd r but I would rather try the usb method first.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,577 Times in 1,219 Posts
    EP Points

You need a boot method. Just using a USB drive on it's own won't work.

If you're going to use the disc swap method you need 007 Agent Under Fire. Any other retail game may or may not work.

Spoiler warning:

3. The Following User Says Thank You to deadlegion For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    EP Points

Thanks for the reply So in layman terms how would I be able to do it I'm looking at the softmod guide now and it had various ways of booting and the usb and swap disks are on there.

I have mgs3 and a blank dvd r what should I do?

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by kripz View Post
    Thanks for the reply So in layman terms how would I be able to do it I'm looking at the softmod guide now and it had various ways of booting and the usb and swap disks are on there.

I have mgs3 and a blank dvd r what should I do?
    http://bootleg.sksapps.com/tutorials/fmcb/swap.php

If you use any other game you will have to identify the elf file (and know what part of the game disc it is associated with so you can actually boot the exploit).
    The only awkward thing about using AUF is that you need to play the game up to a certain point to trigger the exploited elf file.

I wouldn't pay too much attention to the other games listed on that link I posted, I don't know of anyone that has got From Russia With Love to work. My region is PAL.

Spoiler warning:

Thanks
    EP Points

Okay thank you for your reply. I've been researching it a bit more and it says I have to block the sensors unscrew the slim and tape it off I think I'll leave it if thats the case.

Thanks
    EP Points

It isn't a big deal with a slim tbh The consoles are cheap or free anyway, but it's very unlikely you're going to damage anything.
    Not as if there's any warranty to worry about.

Spoiler warning:

Thanks
    EP Points

That is true, I had a bit of a bad experience as a kid with the old fat ps2 I didn't have a console for 2 years and that' when San Andreas came out I was gutted. Which tutorial would you recommend I use?

Thanks
    EP Points

If you have AUF retail then just follow the guide for it. You'll need apache but I think there is a download link in the sksapps tutorial.
    Imgburn; just grab that from the official site.

I assume you've already found the info about where the sensors are and how to deal with them.

Spoiler warning:

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

There are plenty of methods that can be used the whole elf replacement method is only one of the methods

Action Replays, various versions can be used to install FMCB and other cheat CD's (Not all cheat CD's though), SwapMagic could be used easy using two different methods, only one method gets a mention at sksapps, but I know of another that can be used with older versions of Swap Magic, like version 2.00

Or you can just get someone else to hack a memcard for you, either from a pre softmodded console or hardmodded console or using one of the many modding methods from a none modded PS2

You can even do this from an official PS2 to PS3 memcard reader that is USB but some clever home brew teams made PC drivers, can't say I have tested that though as I only have an unofficial PS2 to PS3 card reader but the PC drivers do not work with that hardware

I used the Swap Magic disc set myself, but I could of just used my older Action Replay 2 v2 or a Action Replay Max to install it with a few extra steps

Action Replay 2 v2 is not listed there directly as an install method but you can use the Action replay 2 v2 as a swap disc, it is a good disc to use as it had a stop drive instruction that lets you swap it without it still spinning [Or at least I think it did it has been some years since I used that mind ] (burning ulaunch to a CD-R not a DVD as action replay 2 v2 is a CD, same applies to any swap trick the burned disc must be on the same type of media the original disc so if the retail disc was a DVD5 then the swapped disc must be either a standard (or mini) DVD-R or DVD+R or if the retail disc is a DVD9 disc then the swapped to disc must be a DVD DL+R [+R because dual layer -R's are usually too low quality] these are also known as DVD9+R) +R media is in general higher quality media and the slim models can read those just fine, most of the bulky PS2's could not but only because the PS2 came out before they got released so lacked support for them

Most of the guides are at http://bootleg.sksapps.com/tutorials/fmcb/ just use the Installation drop down menu

If you happen to have an old Action Replay 2 v2 with the silly PS2 memcard dongle thing (I know it's not actually a memcard you just need it to get the Action Replay working) or even an older Swap Magic then let me know I can guide you through that myself, it's not that hard to get working and it is not an elf swap either, they can be used as a swap disc for a ulaunch CD or even the full fmcb package with ulaunch on a single CD-R
    Last edited by Zorlon; 27th-January-2015 at 20:28.

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks
    EP Points

Thank you both for the advice, with the sensors I'm assuming sellotape will do the trick?

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

I tape the front one (well replaced it with a switch now, for my own reasons)

There rear one though you will struggle with tape, but if you are planning on installing this and not wanting to use swap trickery for anything else then keep the machine open while you mod it and just have the rear sensor blocked (pressed down) with Blu Tack, Silly Putty, Plasticine or something like that, once modded you no longer need the sensor blocked and if you plan on using mods like ESR that let you boot burned DVD's directly then you don't want that blocked to allow games that are on multi DVD's like XenoSaga 2 and 3 or the later Grandia games, that would not work for moving from DVD 1 to DVD 2 if you have those blocked

If you want though the back one can be perm blocked with superglue, just hold it down with a pin while the glue sets, and just have the front one temp, once done modding you can remove the tape and the lid will act as normal, only one of the sensors needs to be released for the PS2 to think the lid is open even if the back one is perm blocked
    Last edited by Zorlon; 27th-January-2015 at 20:38.

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks
    EP Points

Thanks for the input guys I was looking at memory cards to backup my saves to and a good deal came up on ebay for a 128mb card for around £4 is it worth investing in? Is there anyway of knowing its authentic as well?

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Stick with the official 8MB retail card

You can backup saves to your PC via various methods, especially after it is modded, best being via Codebreaker + a USB stick (the best because some game saves get corrupt with some of the methods), you don't need the disc, I can explain that at a later date though)

Still nice to have an extra memcard but a lot of 3rd party memcards will either not be recognized by some games or do become corrupt after some use, the risk is more than doubled with extra sized memcards these are even less reliable

Providing you have a Codebreaker compatible USB stick then the process of backing up and restoring saves is very easy and quick, just use the Codebreaker directly to copy the save to USB, it will auto make a solid file that does not corrupt if you copy it to PC, with other USB sticks that are not directly compatible, there are still ways to use them but the process is a little more complicated, but still resonably quick to do especially once you get used to it (basics, use codebreaker to compress the save first (compressed save will still be on the memcard) then use uLaunch to copy the compressed save to USB, for reversal you simply copy it back to the memcard using uLaunch then codebreaker to uncompress)

I strongly recommend against getting a 128MB card though, even an official one that I was sure they did not do this size

8MB is only listed on the Playstation site

I looked at the card in question no it's not a genuine Sony product, the 128 cards on eBay.co.uk are not by Sony, they are all 3rd party

But using the method I outlined you can even download save and copy them to your 8MB memory card, that you may want to get a second one

You can use a USB stick to store the codebreaker elf on and you can even use that with the ESR mod to enable cheats, Personally I set my PS2 to not autoboot discs and just set up a custom PS2 menu with ESR Codebreaker uLaunch and a few other things, but you can make it so games autoboot even from ESR patched discs and just make it boot Codebreaker first then if you don't want Codebreaker just remove the USB stick and it will instead boot the game directly instead

Once you are softmodded there are tons of little tweaks you can do for your own preference, P.S. the reason for the switch on the front lid sensor was so I could still do a swap trick, my back lid sensor is super glued perm, the swap trick I can use with Codebreaker, and or with PSXlauncher, though I do own a PSone with a mod chip so either use that or my software modded xbox (original xbox) to play those (I have PSX/PS2 to Xbox controller converters, I was never a fan of xbox pads)
    Last edited by Zorlon; 28th-January-2015 at 08:50.

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]

Thanks
    EP Points

Okay thanks for that Zorlon, I've run into a bit of trouble I've blocked the sensors replaced the elf file with the boot one with the name change on mgs3 snake eater and as soon as I go to special and camouflage and swap the discs my ps2 can't read the replaced disc and comes up with put a ps2 disc in.

Could it be the quality of the dvd? I burnt it at 1x on ImgBurn.

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

More that this method only really works with one game.

But it could be partly the quality of the discs also what exact discs are you using?

http://www.videohelp.com/dvdmediafor...info=1#dvdinfo <- use the info there to find out what media you are using exactly

EDIT actually you can check out your media once you get the info from above at http://www.videohelp.com/dvdmedia

As a hint though DVD+R media has much better results than DVD-R in general
    Last edited by Zorlon; 28th-January-2015 at 15:33.

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]