Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sega CD roms with MD.emu

Thanks

Default Sega CD roms with MD.emu

My emulator of choice for the android system on the kids TV box is MD.emu. I know that retroarch for android is also available, however, I find it is very buggy on the android platform especially with sudden force closing in the middle of gameplay.

When downloading roms for Sega CD in that section, all of them contains 2 files a bin and cue. MD.emu does not recognize any rom when loading either the bin or cue. However retroarch does recognize the game and plays it.

After browsing around I found a Sega CD rom in the Miscellaneous section. After downloading that one, it contained many bin files of around 25 and 1 cue file. As a surprise when loading the cue in md.emu, it plays the Sonic CD game fine.

My question is has anyone experienced such a thing where Sega CD roms has to be in a particular format for a certain emulator?

Thanks

Shooting Sonic Booms and Flash Kicking Scrubs into submission
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,774 Times in 750 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Split bins from one of my threads?

If so thats a redump image, perfect 1:1 so I guess thats why you have no trouble,

if its a iso and wav files and a cue thats tosec image, its just as good but not quite.

and on the question, some emus are fickle yes, did you look up what that android emu required to run? what type of image?
    THE BEST METHOD to run PSX games (and everything else for that matter) is via Retroarch - http://buildbot.libretro.com/nightly/
    If you have any questions on how to set it up on Windows please feel free to ask, its very easy.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Warrior View Post
    Split bins from one of my threads?

If so thats a redump image, perfect 1:1 so I guess thats why you have no trouble,

if its a iso and wav files and a cue thats tosec image, its just as good but not quite.

and on the question, some emus are fickle yes, did you look up what that android emu required to run? what type of image?
    I had rechecked the thread of the Sonic CD and yes it was from one of your upload links. Appreciate it very much as Sonic CD is my youngest daughters favorite game. She loves all the Sonic games.

As for MD.emu, the developer did email me back when I asked about Sega CD emulation and even though it is in its testing phase still, it does work quite well with the more well known games. He says that it has to be bin/cue files. It does not support iso/mp3 yet. The other game they are interested in playing is the Batman returns and this and another site it is the same file of a single bin and single cue file. Other games are in iso and multiple mp3 files.

Would I be able to redump the file I have from here into multiple bins? I assume it is that format that the md.emu wants. But I could be very off base in how it works.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Once someone uses any old disc drive to dump a game thats it, the data is lost.

You need to go through alot of steps to redump a mixed cd on a standard drive, its far easier to redump mixed cds on a certain plextor drive.

Il be happy to post whatever Mega/Sega CD game you want , I have most of them but I tend to forget easily, feel free to remind me on my profile page

To see if the game you are looking for is redumped go here and do a little search , http://redump.org/ FYI that is just a database , you won't find any game downloads there.
    Last edited by Warrior; 17th-January-2015 at 19:32.
    THE BEST METHOD to run PSX games (and everything else for that matter) is via Retroarch - http://buildbot.libretro.com/nightly/
    If you have any questions on how to set it up on Windows please feel free to ask, its very easy.

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

I have all of them

redump methods do kinda suck and are way over complicated, end results are the same for reproduction on CD-R and playing on real hardware and or emulation, nothing complicated about Sega CD

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Sorry but thats a very biased opinion , trurip is just as complicated , redump and trurip is pretty much a matter of preference .

Regarding Redumps methods the reason they seem complicated is because the guides have yet to be updated, at least redump is public information, trurip is a SUPER SECRET club and you have to swear you will never have anything to do with Redump again , yup, pretty cocky and ignorant .

As with trurip you need a Plextor to easily dump a mixed cd otherwise its going to be a little complicated and drawnout because of offset input.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

He didn't even mention Trurip dude.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Gypsy View Post
    He didn't even mention Trurip dude.
    He has a biased opinion since he prefers trurip, statement is valid , just mentioning the differences of the two.
    Last edited by Warrior; 17th-January-2015 at 19:24.

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

lol biased, nope not even slightly, did not know trurip did do Sega CD or not, not kept that up to date to be honest

The only ones I am biased about are there GD-Rom dump methods aka Dreamcast that they simply stopped doing as far as I know, like I said not kept up to date anyway

As for the OP's query it is possible that the cue file has a full path in it rather than just the binary name it or some other sort of cue error causing issues with said emulator

The only real difference between a single bin+cue and a multi bin +cue is that the cue for the single bin will describe every track start end and the type of data in each track be that data or cdda and the multi bin + cue will have the same sort of info just for individual bin files instead of a single bin file
    Last edited by Zorlon; 17th-January-2015 at 19:49.

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Zorlon View Post
    lol biased, nope not even slightly, did not know trurip did do Sega CD or not, not kept that up to date to be honest

The only ones I am biased about are there GD-Rom dump methods aka Dreamcast that they simply stopped doing as far as I know, like I said not kept up to date anyway
    Alrighty, I get ya

Just dont want to confuse people regarding whats best and whats not .

Thanks
    EP Points

My experience with md.emu on android is a mixed bag. It does only support cue/bin files. Dungeon Explorer will load but sprites are messed up. Other less known titles will not load at all. Shining Force plays fine though. All files I am talking about were downloaded from the main emu site. Pretty sure the images are good because they play flawlessly on Fusion 3.64 on Windows.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by jamosb View Post
    My experience with md.emu on android is a mixed bag. It does only support cue/bin files. Dungeon Explorer will load but sprites are messed up. Other less known titles will not load at all. Shining Force plays fine though. All files I am talking about were downloaded from the main emu site. Pretty sure the images are good because they play flawlessly on Fusion 3.64 on Windows.
    Just mentioning a simple bin/cue can run flawlessly but its not 1:1 if its a multi track game like alot of PSX, all of Sega CD/Sega Saturn/PC Engine CD and Alot of Computer game CDs.

Sure if you are just for wanting to play they are fine if its a single bin/cue .

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Warrior View Post
    Just mentioning a simple bin/cue can run flawlessly but its not 1:1 if its a multi track game like alot of PSX, all of Sega CD/Sega Saturn/PC Engine CD and Alot of Computer game CDs.

Sure if you are just for wanting to play they are fine if its a single bin/cue .
    Kind of what this section of the forum is about, playing games

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Zorlon View Post
    Kind of what this section of the forum is about, playing games
    Ya but you can have a 1:1 image thats perfectly playable too, just sayin

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by johomi View Post
    My emulator of choice for the android system on the kids TV box is MD.emu. I know that retroarch for android is also available, however, I find it is very buggy on the android platform especially with sudden force closing in the middle of gameplay.

When downloading roms for Sega CD in that section, all of them contains 2 files a bin and cue. MD.emu does not recognize any rom when loading either the bin or cue. However retroarch does recognize the game and plays it.

After browsing around I found a Sega CD rom in the Miscellaneous section. After downloading that one, it contained many bin files of around 25 and 1 cue file. As a surprise when loading the cue in md.emu, it plays the Sonic CD game fine.

My question is has anyone experienced such a thing where Sega CD roms has to be in a particular format for a certain emulator?

Thanks
    Ok to answer the OP's questions. Yes MD.EMU will not play all titles and yes it will work with some (try Shining Force from this site). It likes Cue/Bin 1:1 copies but maybe some compilations work where the original 1:1 copy doesn't. i do not think its the image problem more the emulator. You may want to go to the MD.EMU forums and post any games not working it is in active development if you have the pay version. The free version is a year old and branched into the pay version.

For most compatibility I do use Retroarch on Android. It is not 100% perfect but a lot better than MD.EMU as far as emulation. I have not gotten the crash issue you are talking about on Android with it. The only issue I have so far with it using the Genesis Plus EX core is one game (Dungeon Explorer) they are looking into that as a emulation issue (thanks Zolorn for the link!). I also use the development version of Retroarch not the playstore version but you have to have a rooted android to do that.

If you really want to have fun with Retroarch on your android download some TurboGrafx CD games like Dungeon Master Theron's quest US version (or Japanese if you are fluent) and play it on your android using the Mednafen/Beetle PCE-FAST core..amazing addon to the original dungeon master. You will need the bios file for TurboGrafx in your game directory (or bios directory if you chosen one) it has to be named syscard3.pce for it to work.
    Last edited by jamosb; 19th-January-2015 at 16:13.