Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kyuuyaku Megami Tensei for Super UFO PRO 8 SNES Flashcart?

Thanks

Default Kyuuyaku Megami Tensei for Super UFO PRO 8 SNES Flashcart?

As some of you may know, Kyuuyaku Megami Tensei was finally translated. I tried starting it on my SNES flashcart but it said something like "file type error". Other translated japanese games work. What can I do to make this work? I'm itching to play the first two games in the series.

Thanks
    Thanked 13,309 Times in 1,165 Posts
    EP Points

I haven't tried the rom myself to see if it works on copiers, but plenty of translations simply don't run on real hardware The only question I can think to ask is, did you format your rom to run on your UFO? If you weren't already aware, old floppy copiers tend to be picky about the format of roms fed into them. You need to run them through Ucon 64, or else games tend not to work.

Edit: Oh, hey. I just googled the UFO model you mentioned, and I wasn't readily aware UFO made a semi-current flashcart. My advice probably isn't very relevant. Or at least I'd hope UFO cleared up the issues they had back in the 90's
    Last edited by Ragnar; 2nd-January-2015 at 03:28.
    *PSA* Wii Redump collector's can now unscrub ISO files. So scrubbed games can now be verified. You can find the program to do this here

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Ucon64 is still a good idea to convert the rom image format to another, I would also make sure the translated patched copy actually works via emulation before you copy it over to the flashy kit

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks

With UFO PRO 8 all I had to do was format the 8 GB SD card to FAT32 and copy and paste the roms. There's a couple dozens games running now with a few odd ones out. Among other game, Contra Alien Wars didn't work but it worked in japanese as Contra Spirits. So this is definitely worth a try.

Edit: I checked this "compatibility list" http://ucon64.sourceforge.net/ucon64...patibility.txt
    It seems I'll be one of the first people to try Kyuuyaku Megami Tensei.

Okay, I have no idea where to start with this thing.

It's described as a swiss army knife of emulation but I'm not emulating anything.
    Would someone mind giving a step-by-step on how I should prepare Kyuuyaku Megami Tensei for the UFO PRO 8? If you have any questions about the flashcart, I'll try to answer them assuming you don't have a more reliable source.
    Last edited by Zorlon; 4th-January-2015 at 08:38.

Thanks
    EP Points

I've never used that frontend, but you're looking to try converting the roms format. The title-bar says "0 files selected", so try drag-n-dropping your rom onto it to make it say "1 files selected". SWC format is fine, that's a fairly common one, so just try hitting Convert. There should also be a UFO format on the pulldown which you could try.
    *PSA* Wii Redump collector's can now unscrub ISO files. So scrubbed games can now be verified. You can find the program to do this here

Thanks

I'm not even sure how to set this thing up. I'm not even sure what a frontend is. I tried converting to SWC and UFO and it freezes right before finishing. I tried those 2 converted files and they didn't work. Can't someone else just convert this for me?

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

A Front end is software made to run the target software through

In this case it's a Windows front end for the command prompt software (dos style software) to give it a graphical user interface instead of a command line interface

What is in the Frontend menu when you click on Frontend

Yes someone could convert it for you but it would be best for you to learn how to do this yourself then you can do this yourself at any time if you come across this again

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks
    EP Points

Do you know how to use DOS? Ucon64 is a DOS program. A frontend is that fancy Windows stuff, with buttons to click on. You can launch a command prompt and execute all the things the program does manually. The frontend is probably what's crashing, it was probably made for Windows XP. If you don't know how to use DOS, don't even try. That would just drive you crazy, just navigating through files with DOS can confuse DOS newbies...

Thanks

I'll have to try the normal way then without the frontend. Will I need DOSBox? The last time I used that, I just wanted to see Commander Keen and Jill of the Jungle running on my PSP
    So far I've downloaded these two packages.
    The frontend
    (MinGW)
    The actual program
    http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/u...n.zip?download

So I'll just be using command prompt or I need DOSBox?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by korisblue; 5th-January-2015 at 06:49.

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

DosBox its not required no, you just use cmd stored in Windows Icon [Default is on the lower left of your desktop, used to be called the Start Menu]/All Programs/Accessories/cmd

the easy way to do that is copy the address/path that you stored the program in, then in the cmd window type CD space and right click in the cmd window and select paste then hit enter/return

If the path is a different drive to C you will need to do another command after to change drive from C to whatever the drive is e.g. for drive D, just type then hit enter/return

Once in the correct path then you can type the exe name for uCon64 it should list a bunch of options or just use the readme.txt as a guide
    Last edited by Zorlon; 5th-January-2015 at 08:31.

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]

Thanks

So put "CD [paste ucon64 file path here]
    then hit enter?
    "The directory name is invalid"

Would you mind giving an example?
    Last edited by korisblue; 5th-January-2015 at 09:31.

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by korisblue View Post
    So put "CD [paste file ucon64 path here]
    then hit enter?
    "The directory name is invalid"

Would you mind giving an example?
    CD F:\FFXIII

F:

or

CD C:\Users\korisblue\Downloads

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]

Thanks

Yeah it just says the directory name is invalid but when I just paste the file path to ucon64.exe without CD[space], all this text comes up that looks like the readme.

Do you know of a good forum for ucon64?

Oh, wait, was I not supposed to include "ucon64.exe" in the file path? I did it without that this time and it seems to be sitting in that directory, waiting for a command.
    The commands involving Super UFO are
    --ufo convert to Super UFO
    --ufos convert emulator *.srm (SRAM) to Super UFO

How should I word that in cmd?
    Desktop\uf-FOX-1.1-win32-bin>_ ???
    Let's say the file name is kyuuyaku.sfc. uf-FOX-1.1-win32-bin is the name of the frontend's folder. I tossed it all together so pay it no mind. Just borrowing that name.
    Last edited by korisblue; 5th-January-2015 at 09:56.

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Desktop\uf-FOX-1.1-win32-bin>_ ??? is not a complete path so that would not work no

The real path to that is C:\Users\[whatever you set up as your user ID]\Desktop\[The folder you stored the front end in plus the original binary]

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]

Thanks
    EP Points

For convenience just work in C:\Foldername. And shorten your rom name to something tiny so it's easy to type each time, like Kyu.sfc.

The usage line in the readme says:
    Usage: ucon64 [OPTION]... [ROM|IMAGE|SRAM|FILE|DIR|ARCHIVE]...

So while sitting in ucon's folder simply enter "ucon64 --ufo Kyu.sfc". I don't recall if those - marks were required for entering the option, you can try them with or without. It may be a good idea to try a bunch of random formats if UFO doesn't work. I'd suggest trying all these options: --snes --fig --gd3 --smc --swc --int