Thread: Having issues with modded PS2, want some advise before mess up everything

Thanks

Question Having issues with modded PS2, want some advise before mess up everything

(Sorry for poor english, my own language is hyrulian)

I recently bought an used PS2 for Christmas (SCPH-90001 8C Serial:HU4... don't know what BIOS version) with Matrix modchip v1.99, expecting not only to play regular burned PS2 DVDs (which DOES just fine), but also play emulators, watch movies and other stuff like that.
    First thing I have to do is to install ULE before install FMCB and of course the emulators, and I tried by CD-R (v4.40 from sksapps.com) but it didn't boot at all, maybe because of being an 8C (I know the program has compatibility issues with this version and forward). I'm planning to try again with the DVD version (v4.37 from the same site), but before moving forward I want to know if it will really work and some advise about all this stuff.
    Also, it doesn't play burned PS1 games at all, is not big deal since I own a real PS1, but that would mean that the modchip is not installed properly so I'm worried. I haven't played music from CD yet.
    I'm a n00b in modding, so don't hit me in the face if I'm a bit lost in all of this
    Last edited by RogenRiganz; 30th-December-2014 at 21:23.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,577 Times in 1,219 Posts
    EP Points

http://bootleg.sksapps.com/tutorials/matrix/

You can force Matrix to boot PS1 games. It should play CD based PS2 games iirc, but it has been a while since I used anything similar to this and it was a clone anyway (Modbo).
    You shouldn't need to use softmod unless you really need to (as a last resort). Matrix should boot patched games anyway.

I wouldn't know about emulators, I have a original Xbox for that sort of thing.

Spoiler warning:

Thanks

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by deadlegion View Post
    http://bootleg.sksapps.com/tutorials/matrix/

You can force Matrix to boot PS1 games. It should play CD based PS2 games iirc, but it has been a while since I used anything similar to this and it was a clone anyway (Modbo).
    You shouldn't need to use softmod unless you really need to (as a last resort). Matrix should boot patched games anyway.

I wouldn't know about emulators, I have a original Xbox for that sort of thing.
    Well, by using the information of that page I forced the PS2 to boot the CD with ULE, AND IT WORKED! Unfortunaly, after copy the BOOT.elf file to the MC and turning off the PS2, I realize the console scrapped the CD to never be used again, so I'm NOT putting any PS1 game in again, but thanks anyway, you helped me and now I can install all the other programs with ULE :)
    Last edited by RogenRiganz; 31st-December-2014 at 03:39.

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Using a PS2 for emulation is very limited, but there are a few worth playing like SNES, Sega Megadrive & SCUMMVM but they are not perfect by far and a few games have issues, some not noticeable until later on in game play, so some games get stuck with no way of progressing others have graphical glitches or just run very slow, overall I stopped emulating on the PS2

I also use my Xbox for emulation.

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks

I discovered that by myself already, with PGEN, and yes, some games run with no problems, others have graphic glithes but nothing too serius, and some are almost unplayable because of fps glitches. I haven't played with the SNES emulator yet but I think it'll be something like that, maybe the NES emu will run much better since imbNES in the PS1 was a great emulator (with issues in some games, just like PGEN) and since this is a more powerful console, well, needless to say it should run better. I also tried the GBA emulator (I don't remember the name now) and all the games I tried until now (mainly Sonic Advance games) played with no problem, but I don't think I won't find a GBA game with serious glitches and stuff eventually...
    Last edited by RogenRiganz; 1st-January-2015 at 04:24.