Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Burning PS2 CD games to DVD-Rs on Macs?

Thanks

Default Burning PS2 CD games to DVD-Rs on Macs?

So I've been backing up a lot of my older PS2 games, but for some reason I can't seem to burn older games like Maximo: Ghosts to Glory, Oni and Rez properly.
    I heard its cause these games were CD based before they swapped over to DVDs apparently?

I'm using Keka to turn any bin/cues into ISOs and Disk Utility to burn them and the other ones seem to be working OK for the most part...

But these ones just aren't being read for some reason, anybody have any idea as what's going on?

-Edit

Whoops, posted this to wrong forum, sorry haven't done this in a while. Can a mod take this down while I post this again to the proper forum?
    Last edited by kicker_exe; 30th-December-2014 at 12:30. Reason: Misposted in wrong forum

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Simple answer is do not convert a CD image to a DVD image you need to go alot further to make most games run from DVD than just convert the disc image type

For this I only know of PC methods and most of the homebrew tools made are only for Windows platform with no Mac versions made

The tools are mostly used to hack a few of the files (that are on the disc or inside the disc image that would first be extracted) to change the disc mode from CD to DVD, before rebuilding the disc image as a DVD and burning

Try getting some pre converted & working ones though, or request them if needs be
    Last edited by Zorlon; 30th-December-2014 at 17:29.

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Shooting Sonic Booms and Flash Kicking Scrubs into submission
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,774 Times in 750 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

You have to actually convert the PS2 CD image into a image meant to run on a DVD, not all PS2 CD games can be done this way .

I do not recall the steps needed but its not as simple as you think, turning a Bin into a iso is just ruining for images since CDs are meant to be Bin/Cue format or else they lose data.
    THE BEST METHOD to run PSX games (and everything else for that matter) is via Retroarch - http://buildbot.libretro.com/nightly/
    If you have any questions on how to set it up on Windows please feel free to ask, its very easy.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,579 Times in 1,219 Posts
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by kicker_exe View Post
    -Edit

Whoops, posted this to wrong forum, sorry haven't done this in a while. Can a mod take this down while I post this again to the proper forum?
    It is best not to create duplicate threads in cases like this, just make an edit acknowledging the fact you made a mistake and staff can move the thread.
    Otherwise, with multiple threads it becomes a mess of posts in several threads that staff have to move/merge.

I've fixed everything up now...this is the only thread and it is in the proper section.

Spoiler warning:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Zorlon View Post
    Simple answer is do not convert a CD image to a DVD image you need to go alot further to make most games run from DVD than just convert the disc image type

For this I only know of PC methods and most of the homebrew tools made are only for Windows platform with no Mac versions made

The tools are mostly used to hack a few of the files (that are on the disc or inside the disc image that would first be extracted) to change the disc mode from CD to DVD, before rebuilding the disc image as a DVD and burning

Try getting some pre converted & working ones though, or request them if needs be
    Well, I could try using Wineskin Winery, its a kind of, wrapper or micro-emulation for macs to run Windows software. But depending on how its been set up it may not work, well I guess just explain the normal way to me and maybe I can work around it some how?

Quote Originally Posted by deadlegion View Post
    It is best not to create duplicate threads in cases like this, just make an edit acknowledging the fact you made a mistake and staff can move the thread.
    Otherwise, with multiple threads it becomes a mess of posts in several threads that staff have to move/merge.

I've fixed everything up now...this is the only thread and it is in the proper section.
    Yeah, sorry about that. I haven't used a forum in AGES! I can barely navigate this thing page here.
    Last edited by deadlegion; 2nd-January-2015 at 08:40. Reason: merged posts

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

The easy way is just to use the newer version of UltraISO (do not use that software for PSX games though ever) all you need to do is open up a CD image of a PS2 CD game, right click in the white space on the left plane to bring up a new box Properties with various options

Change the Media to 4.7(4.37)GB and tick UDF then hit OK

Then hit File>Save as

Give it a name, then hit Save

This will produce a *.iso file that is apx the same size as the original CD disc image but is burnable to a DVD

Burn the new *.iso disc image

The older long winded way is by the previously mentioned tools

First you need to extract the contents of the CD disc image to a new folder, you will also want to take note on the order of the files, as you want to keep that order when re-building the disc image

Then you need CMP.exe (aka Console Media Patcher version 1.1) you use that to search for media code inside of PS2 files and have that set to DVD so when it finds the code it changes it to DVD, this is not always needed though so you need to experiment with this step

Next you need Sony CD DVD-ROM Generator (this is an official tool by Sony used to make CD and DVD master discs) you use this to rebuild the disc image as a DVD you will also need to fill out the Volume information and make it the same as the CD was, when everything in sorted the files in the correct order ext, you will want to make a dummy file to fill out the remaining space of the DVD, once created mave the dummy file to the beginning of the disc layout so it is at pos. 227 to push the CD data to the end of the DVD. (The very outer edge) this helps with it reading on the console, save this as an IML using the Export IML option

Finally you need IML2ISO (IML to ISO or IML2DVD there are a few of those now) to read the IML file to produce an ISO

Now you can burn that.

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Zorlon For This Useful Post:

Thanks

OK that sounds good, I'll just try it out UltraISO and let you know how it goes.

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Hope that works for you. .

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]

Thanks

UGH! Failure! I don't get it I did everything right, for some reason when I tried to run it it just said "This disc can't be played", I'll try to burn another more recent game with this batch of discs just incase to see if maybe the discs are the problem but..

I'm sure I did it right, unless I wasn't supposed to add the .cue file or something?

OK, I give up. I REALLY wanted to do this myself but I only have a limited amount of discs I can buy at a time and I don't have alot of spending money for alot now.

I'll post a list of the games I need converted and see what happens cause I can't even tell which ones are and aren't CD/DVD based considering I sold some ages ago.
    Last edited by Zorlon; 10th-January-2015 at 08:29.

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by kicker_exe View Post
    UGH! Failure! I don't get it I did everything right, for some reason when I tried to run it it just said "This disc can't be played", I'll try to burn another more recent game with this batch of discs just incase to see if maybe the discs are the problem but..

I'm sure I did it right, unless I wasn't supposed to add the .cue file or something?

OK, I give up. I REALLY wanted to do this myself but I only have a limited amount of discs I can buy at a time and I don't have alot of spending money for alot now.

I'll post a list of the games I need converted and see what happens cause I can't even tell which ones are and aren't CD/DVD based considering I sold some ages ago.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...2_CD-ROM_games

add the cue???

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]

Thanks

Wait, it doesn't show up for PC users? Anytime I download a PS2 or even PSX games, 2 file types show up, .Bin and .Cue.

I when I converted the Bin into the ISO I also added the Cue. Isn't that what sorts all the data on the Bin?

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Don't convert PSX CD images

*.ISO files do not need cue files

CD *.Bin or *.Img files should have a cue file or other small descriptor file, mostly used for multi track CD's like PSX disc images

Once you convert a CD bin+cue image into an DVD *.iso image you do not need a cue file DVD *.iso images do not need a cue file

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]

Thanks

Don't convert PSX CD images

*.ISO files do not need cue files

CD *.Bin or *.Img files should have a cue file or other small descriptor file, mostly used for multi track CD's like PSX disc images

Once you convert a CD bin+cue image into an DVD *.iso image you do not need a cue file DVD *.iso images do not need a cue file
    Oh wait hold on, I worded that wrong, I meant that I burned the Cue WITH the Bin, not burned it after turning the bin into an iso.

You know what I'll see if I can make a, screen captured video or something of this, maybe that might give you a clearer idea of what I'm doing. Though considering youtube is banned in my country I'll have to do it on something like dailymotion or something..

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

compress the video inside a zip rar or 7z file (compression level can be left at store video files tend not to compress that well anyway) and upload it it to some free upload service

because you are wanting to play from DVD you should not be burning bin+cue files at all

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]

Thanks

compress the video inside a zip rar or 7z file (compression level can be left at store video files tend not to compress that well anyway) and upload it it to some free upload service

because you are wanting to play from DVD you should not be burning bin+cue files at all
    OK I might need to do this off my ipad or something, having problems finding good recording software but, I figured I'd give a little update on the situation.

So I converted it on my cousin's computer than burned it on my mac and it RAN.... for a nano-second for the PS2 logo which didn't even load in, and then just freezes on a black screen?

Maybe it is the burner, cause I know this time I did it right, I mean I'll make the video and we'll no for sure but looking at your instructions I think maybe Disc Utility on Mac skews the ISO somehow?

Next time I'll try burning it on the spot and seeing how that works out instead.