Thread: Please help, computer switching Joystick ID's for all emulators, no idea what to do

Thanks

Default Please help, computer switching Joystick ID's for all emulators, no idea what to do

Windows 8.1 64 bit
    Emulators: All of them- NEStopia, FCEUX, Zsnes, ePSX, PCSX2, they all do the same thing. Even some PC games like Mari0 malfunction in the manner I'll describe below.

Steam PC games, however, all function perfectly.

2 Wireless Xbox 360 Controllers with the official Microsoft wireless dongle.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have 2 controllers. Let's call the controller I turn on first controller A, and the second B.

When both are on, Controller A is recognized in emulators as Joy 2. Controller B is recognized as Joy 0.

http://i.imgur.com/BFzTO2t.png

This is across multiple emulators and even some PC games.

This is annoying but not too big of a deal. It just means my friend and I may need to switch controllers.

The real issue comes up when I want to play a single player game.

With a single player game, obviously I only have one controller on.

Well, that controller is seen by my computer as Joy 0, when there's only one controller on.

So I am unable to do anything as the emulators need commands from Joy 2.

I really don't want to turn on a second wireless controller and waste batteries constantly just so I can play single player games on emulators, there has to be something I can fix.

The problem appears to be deeper than faulty emulators because it's across so many different programs. Again, everything works fine in Steam games.

I'm trying to make a home theater PC. I loaded countless roms into Steam so I can launch them all from Big Picture Mode. It's really important I make this machine function properly and smoothly for my family. I would really appreciate it if anyone can point me in the right direction, because I have yet to see any similar problem like this on the net.

Thank you.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just some extra info on things I've tried already, in case it helps:

In the controllers properties window, with both controllers on, it lists the first controller I turn on second, and the second controller I turn on, first in the list. I don't know if there's any significance there.

The properties window for controller 2 appears normal.

http://i.imgur.com/wavBMDR.png

The properties window for controller 1 however looks messed up:

http://i.imgur.com/S1ZfpaI.png

These controllers work great in local multiplayer Steam games, but malfunction in emulators and Mari0 for some reason.

Edit again: Well, this is interesting. I turned off both controllers. I then turned only ONE on, the one that had the messed up properties window.

It appears perfectly fine.

Then I turned the other controller on.

The properties window that looked fine before is now not responding to the first controller. It's responding to the second.

WIndows is changing the Joypad ID of the controller once a second one comes on apparently. I have no idea why it would do this.

I have tried:

-Opening device manager and going down to controllers, and uninstalling the driver for the Xbox 360 controller

-Using a program called JoyID to make controllers keep the ID's I assign- unless I did it wrong, this program had no effect.

-Tried using Joy2Key to again, "assign" a controller a permanent ID. It had no effect.

-I've even tried using Xpadder and left all the buttons in emulators remain default, and simply used a toggle command to switch the keys for player 2. In theory it should have worked but Xpadder is apparently atrocious when used with more than 1 controller. Only 1 controller at a time would switch to the proper profile- I have a lot of profiles, I need them both to switch properly and immediately. Also, this seems more like putting a band aid on a mortal wound. I need to find out what's really causing this and fix it.
    Last edited by irrelevant_pelican; 24th-December-2014 at 18:31. Reason: merged posts

Thanks
    Thanked 2,577 Times in 1,219 Posts
    EP Points

No double posting please, use Edit Post.

Spoiler warning:

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by irrelevant_pelican View Post
    Well, that controller is seen by my computer as Joy 0, when there's only one controller on.
    In the controllers properties window, with both controllers on, it lists the first controller I turn on second, and the second controller I turn on, first in the list. I don't know if there's any significance there.
    Edit again: Well, this is interesting. I turned off both controllers. I then turned only ONE on, the one that had the messed up properties window.
    It appears perfectly fine.
    Then I turned the other controller on.
    The properties window that looked fine before is now not responding to the first controller. It's responding to the second.
    -I've even tried using Xpadder and left all the buttons in emulators remain default, and simply used a toggle command to switch the keys for player 2. In theory it should have worked but Xpadder is apparently atrocious when used with more than 1 controller. Only 1 controller at a time would switch to the proper profile- I have a lot of profiles, I need them both to switch properly and immediately. Also, this seems more like putting a band aid on a mortal wound. I need to find out what's really causing this and fix it.
    These things give me the impression that the problem is due to having 2 wireless controllers on one driver. Your issue with the Properties windows sounds just like the issue in xPadder. I think the solution might be in the dongles or drivers rather than the controllers.

Be afraid. Be very afraid.

Thanks

The problem is easy ollow this steps
    1.- format your hard drive
    2.- reinstall windows
    3.- put the emulators
    4.- choose your joystick for player 1 and conect it it will be identified as joy0

The problem you have is an easy one is not a problem for having 2 joystick on one driver the problem is that the first joystick you connected is probably the one you used more so probable it fails a lot thats why you use that as player 2 and you use a new one for player 1 the problem is each joystick have an unique id so you cant change that the only way it will work as you want is reinstalling windows again after formating the hard drive and choose the newer joystick for player 1

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Tabris666 View Post
    The problem is easy ollow this steps
    1.- format your hard drive
    2.- reinstall windows
    3.- put the emulators
    4.- choose your joystick for player 1 and conect it it will be identified as joy0

The problem you have is an easy one is not a problem for having 2 joystick on one driver the problem is that the first joystick you connected is probably the one you used more so probable it fails a lot thats why you use that as player 2 and you use a new one for player 1 the problem is each joystick have an unique id so you cant change that the only way it will work as you want is reinstalling windows again after formating the hard drive and choose the newer joystick for player 1
    Really I have to reinstall Windows?? Man... can't I restore to an earlier date before I ever used a controller or something? Not even sure where my install disc is... That is quite an undertaking and presents a problem if I ever want to replace an old controller, I'll have to reformat it again. There's gotta be another way. Backing everything up and restoring it correctly would take a long time. I'll start with uninstall all of my HID's and then... at least I have an option as a last resort haha.

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Just re-config the controls

making sure that the first one you config while they are both hooked up is the first one

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by irrelevant_pelican View Post
    Really I have to reinstall Windows?? Man... can't I restore to an earlier date before I ever used a controller or something? Not even sure where my install disc is... That is quite an undertaking and presents a problem if I ever want to replace an old controller, I'll have to reformat it again. There's gotta be another way. Backing everything up and restoring it correctly would take a long time. I'll start with uninstall all of my HID's and then... at least I have an option as a last resort haha.
    You don't have to do anything he suggested, don't worry. I've had this problem a few times myself and I don't really understand how it happens, but it usually happens anytime I have two gamepads plugged in, and have to unplug one for something.

I think it has more to do with how you turn the controllers off than when you turn them on.
    For instance, If I have controller A and B plugged to play Mario, and then turn off controller A before turning off controller B, it immediately assigns controller B as joy 0 in the driver because it's the only pad connected.
    This is just how I think it works and I could be wrong, but that's been my experience.

But uhh, like Zorlon said, I don't see any real way to help it other than just assigning the controls in the emulators and swapping pads as necessary with your family.
    If you need to play single player, you should just be able to close and relaunch the program for it to pick up the new pad as the main one.
    Sorry I can't be more help, it's a confusing problem.