Thread: Just Modded my Wii, but having trouble with IOSs and installing WADs

Thanks

Default Just Modded my Wii, but having trouble with IOSs and installing WADs

Hi guys. My Wii is v.4.3U and I just softmodded it using Letterbomb and the hackmii installer v 1.2. I also installed BootMii as boot2 and IOS (not sure I should have done both...).

I've been able to download and launch apps in the homebrew channel, as well as add other apps to the SD to be launched through the HB channel, but I can't seem to install WADs for the life of me.

I've tried installing a few channel forwarders (which I can live without), but my latest attempt was trying to install Dios Mios Lite 2.10 which is one of the main things I wanted to do in modding my Wii.

I've tried both MMM v 13.4 and YAWMM r25 and I always get the same error: -2011.

I've been googling for hours (yes, it's shamefully true) and I have read several guides, both in this forum and others, but nothing seems to be helping the issue I'm having.

From what I've read, I understand that this error most likely has to do with what ios I'm using, but I can't figure out how to fix the problem. I've tried switching to another ios (I've found several answers that suggest different ones ) and it seems like I might be missing several of these or I have the wrong versions (they say stub when I try to change to them in MMM), though I don't know enough about it yet to figure out how to change that either.

I'm fairly new to Wii modding, so any help here would be greatly appreciated.

*EDIT: I should add that this is a launch model Wii.
    Last edited by n3wh4x04; 23rd-September-2014 at 05:12.

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

http://modmii.zzl.org/ is just about all you need to mod your wii, if you did not use that I strongly recommend you use that, it generates instructions along with it for your exact version

I will also recommend you use a USB HDD or at the very least a USB stick but that will require extra fixes, SD is not worth using

Dios Mios is just for GC software but going for that again go for USB HDD if you want it to work well asides from anything the SD card slot is slow

Other options are Virtual Nand that I use all the time as this saves the NAND space especially for WAD installs

First go for http://modmii.zzl.org/ (the first part is a PC program it will ask a few simple Q's about your system then it will generate all the needed files to mod your Wii console correctly)

Dios Mios is not included in the above though so needs installing after

You may then want to update or go with a different USB loader, as modmii installs a forwarder all you do is replace the current USB Loader files that are included with the modmii install, with the ones of choice, for me that was USB Loader GX, but a beta version at the time to get Dios Mios support, i.e. GameCube support as well as Virtual Nand so all the WiiWare and Virtual Console games I wanted, I only keep save on my Nand and it is still just about full.

Games take up a lot of Nand space and if there is no room in the nand then wad installs will fail, though I do strongly recommend you keep HBL and the HDD Loader Forwarder on there, but just about everything else can go from the Nand then just use Virtual Nand from an HDD Loader, the loader I use looks for GC games, Wii games, Wad installed games from Virtual Nand and even HBL software all from USB, it also looks for Wad installed games from the internal Nand, though I tend to turn that option off, also installing IOS files (the Wii Drivers) manually is not a great idea and can cause it trouble if any mistakes are made and badly modded IOS's are installed

You may want to make sure there is plenty of Nand space before installing ModMii, P.S. I would even use ModMii just to make sure I was up to date with the mods to ensure all the Wii games work ok as some games will have issues if some of the drivers are either out of date or the hacked ones are using older hacks or are just not hacked

I will get back to Dios Mios and the Virtual Nand after you get ModMii setup and installed, get yourself a USB HDD (or a USB stick though that would require extra fixes)

P.S. the Wii is only USB 2.0 so no need for a USB 3.00 device though it will still work just at USB 2.00 speed
    Last edited by Zorlon; 23rd-September-2014 at 07:57.

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Zorlon For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 13,309 Times in 1,165 Posts
    EP Points

I'll let Zorlon handle most everything cause he knows more than I do, but:
    Quote Originally Posted by n3wh4x04 View Post
    I also installed BootMii as boot2 and IOS (not sure I should have done both...).
    That's correct, you want it installed across both if you can. IIRC later model Wii's won't allow the boot2 install, and having that makes your Wii virtually unbrickable But you do need to hang onto the nand backup you should've made with it.
    *PSA* Wii Redump collector's can now unscrub ISO files. So scrubbed games can now be verified. You can find the program to do this here

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ragnar View Post
    That's correct, you want it installed across both if you can. IIRC later model Wii's won't allow the boot2 install, and having that makes your Wii virtually unbrickable But you do need to hang onto the nand backup you should've made with it.
    Thanks Ragnar. Making a backup was one of the first things I did but glad to know I wasn't wrong in installing both BootMii items. Thank you for that

Thank you for all the info Zorlon! You've given me quite a bit of homework but I'm eager to get this done correctly. Will post or edit when I am able to get all this stuff going, but it may be a while because of work.

Thanks again, guys!

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Just post I won't notice otherwise

Just make a reply to this when you are ready for the next steps and what storage you are using.

P.S. you can use your nand backup to make the virtual nand so that is just another good reason to keep hold of it

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR