Thread: Mmkay, walk a dummy through modding an ancient PSP

Thanks

Default Mmkay, walk a dummy through modding an ancient PSP

So I have a fat PSP 1001 that I've been using for emulation purposes since dinosaurs walked the Earth. I believe I originally hacked it with the Patapon exploit, then somehow or another got to permanently patched 6.20 Pro off of that. This was all well and good, except recently I went to add some games to my system and nothing worked. Everything bounced back with the "This game cannot be started" thing like I didn't have any CFW at all. It was all very weird and I wound up formatting the memory stick to start over, so now I suppose I'm back at ground zero. Fat PSP 1001, official firmware 6.20 according to the thingy on the XMB. I've seen things stating nowadays you could just download Pro C2, run Pro Update from there and be good to go, but...no, that just kicks me out to "The game could not be started 80020148". I'm going to have to go hunt down the Patapon demo, aren't I?
    Last edited by DeathChicken; 10th-September-2014 at 04:58.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DeathChicken View Post
    So I have a fat PSP 1001 that I've been using for emulation purposes since dinosaurs walked the Earth. I believe I originally hacked it with the Patapon exploit, then somehow or another got to permanently patched 6.20 Pro off of that. This was all well and good, except recently I went to add some games to my system and nothing worked. Everything bounced back with the "This game cannot be started" thing like I didn't have any CFW at all. It was all very weird and I wound up formatting the memory stick to start over, so now I suppose I'm back at ground zero. Fat PSP 1001, official firmware 6.20 according to the thingy on the XMB. I've seen things stating nowadays you could just download Pro C2, run Pro Update from there and be good to go, but...no, that just kicks me out to "The game could not be started 80020148". I'm going to have to go hunt down the Patapon demo, aren't I?
    Visit wololo.net they'll have more then everything you need to get it going, I'd suggest installing it permanently with their PRO-C CFW, nothing special needed either, just go to their site, download the app,put it on your card, run it, install it, done.

Thanks
    EP Points

Since you're talking about a fat PSP, they're actually wide open nowadays and don't require special demos to hack. The Pro C2 you were trying to install was probably specifically 6.60 PRO, so you'll need to update to 6.60 official first.

So, first step is to download and install the newest official firmware v6.60. Here's a link to the update file; http://du01.psp.update.playstation.o...b395/EBOOT.PBP. Create a new folder on your memory stick called UPDATE in the GAME folder (so it should be /PSP/GAME/UPDATE), and stick the downloaded EBOOT.PBP file in that folder. Then you should be able to find it under the Game tab and run it from there. Confirm you're on 6.60 at this point through system settings.

Once that's done you'll need the CFW installer, which you can find here; http://wololo.net/downloads/index.php/download/929. Scroll down and find the link labeled "download from googlecode.com". After extracting the .rar file, you'll get a PSP folder; click through that until you find the "PROUPDATE" and "CIPL_Flasher" folders, and copy those to the GAME folder on your memstick. I would recommend using this copy of the CFW over whatever you've already downloaded, since this is the official source.

Now go to the Game tab on your PSP, and find the icon labeled "PRO Update", and run it. This should bring you to an official update looking screen, so click through that and let it do its thing. After your PSP restarts, go to your system settings and it should say 6.60 PRO C2. The last step is to go back to the Game tab and run the icon labeled "CIPL FLASHER" and run that; this makes the CFW permanent so you don't lose it every time you power off your PSP (this is a new thing with CFWs).

At this point you should be totally good to go, but go ahead and post here if you have any issues along the way.

EDIT: The C3 update is a fix so you can properly run PSN versions of PSX games, so if you're doing that, download that patch as well from the mediafire link on the wololo.net page and install that the same way you did the C2 part.
    Last edited by MaslowK; 10th-September-2014 at 05:50.
    "I think that the problem with this video is it is highly derivative of many popular bands within the genre. Although when viewed on its own merits, it does have a deeper groove. However what it has in groove, it lacks in originality. One can't help but be reminded of such bands as Pearl Jam, White Zombie, Suicidal Tendencies and other bands that bear the mantle of so called "Alternative Rock". One is even reminded of Lorie Anderson when she wore curlers. Hehehmhm! This video speaks less to the heart and more to the sphincter. In closing, I think Korn would do well to learn more from -"

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MaslowK View Post
    Since you're talking about a fat PSP, they're actually wide open nowadays and don't require special demos to hack. The Pro C2 you were trying to install was probably the 6.60 version, so you'll need to update to 6.60 official first.

First thing you need to do is download and install the newest official firmware v6.60. Here's a link to the update file; http://du01.psp.update.playstation.o...b395/EBOOT.PBP. Create a new folder on your memory stick called UPDATE in the GAME folder (so it should be /PSP/GAME/UPDATE), and stick the downloaded EBOOT.PBP file in that folder. Then you should be able to find it under the Game tab and run it from there. Confirm you're on 6.60 at this point through system settings.

Once that's done you'll need the CFW installer, which you can find here; http://wololo.net/downloads/index.php/download/929. Scroll down and find the link labeled "download from googlecode.com". After extracting the .rar file, you'll get a PSP folder; click through that until you find the "PROUPDATE" and "CIPL_Flasher" folders, and copy those to the GAME folder on your memstick.

Now go to the Game tab on your PSP, and find the icon labeled "PRO Update", and run it. This should bring you to an official update looking screen, so click through that and let it do its thing. After your PSP restarts, go to your system settings and it should say 6.60 PRO C2. The last step is to go back to the Game tab and run the icon labeled "CIPL FLASHER" and run that; this makes the CFW permanent so you don't lose it every time you power off your PSP (this is a new thing with CFWs).

At this point you should be totally good to go, though it's probably a good idea to also install the C3 update. You can get that back on the wololo.net link, using the "download from mediafire" link instead.

Now go to the game tab on your PSP
    what he said

Thanks
    Thanked 2,577 Times in 1,219 Posts
    EP Points

Yep update to official 6.60 first then do the CFW.

Spoiler warning:

Thanks

Errrrr, okay, even the update didn't work. Downloaded 6.60 OFW, into the Update folder, click from the menu. "The game could not be started (80020148)."

Thanks

Errrrr, okay, even the update didn't work. Downloaded 6.60 OFW, into the Update folder, click from the menu. "The game could not be started (80020148)."
    wipe your memory stick and try again

Thanks

Did, same deal. Deleted everything, formatted it through the XMB, made a new Update folder, put the Eboot in. Game could not be started.

Thanks
    EP Points

The first thing I would try in this case is resetting your system settings if you haven't already. Here's a guide from Sony on how to do that; https://support.us.playstation.com/a...fault-settings

If it still errors out trying to run the update, next I would try formatting your memstick using your computer instead. Connect via USB, right click it on My Computer, click "Format...", make sure File System set to FAT32 and that "Quick Format" is unchecked, then click Start. Once that's done use the PSPs format option to rebuild the folder structure and try again.

If none of that works, your memstick might be bad, or (less likely) the update file might have been corrupted somewhere along the way (either while downloading or while transferring to your PSP). In any case I would try getting a hold of a different memstick to try. In the meantime you can try updating to 6.60 OFW via wireless from Sonys servers and see if that works, here's a guide; http://faq.en.playstation.com/app/an...ess-connection
    Last edited by MaslowK; 10th-September-2014 at 22:01.
    "I think that the problem with this video is it is highly derivative of many popular bands within the genre. Although when viewed on its own merits, it does have a deeper groove. However what it has in groove, it lacks in originality. One can't help but be reminded of such bands as Pearl Jam, White Zombie, Suicidal Tendencies and other bands that bear the mantle of so called "Alternative Rock". One is even reminded of Lorie Anderson when she wore curlers. Hehehmhm! This video speaks less to the heart and more to the sphincter. In closing, I think Korn would do well to learn more from -"

Thanks

Yeah, I can only assume at this point that something's either wrong with the memory stick or something's wrong with the USB wire I'm using, as literally everything I try to run from the XMB comes back with the same error. Might be the USB, as I'm noticing that some of the stuff I'm trying to transfer is winding up as Corrupted Data. Then I erase that, try it again and it shows up, but it throws out the Game Cannot Play error.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,577 Times in 1,219 Posts
    EP Points

Yeah, I can only assume at this point that something's either wrong with the memory stick or something's wrong with the USB wire I'm using, as literally everything I try to run from the XMB comes back with the same error. Might be the USB, as I'm noticing that some of the stuff I'm trying to transfer is winding up as Corrupted Data. Then I erase that, try it again and it shows up, but it throws out the Game Cannot Play error.
    I use a card adapter on my PC. No issues at all.

Spoiler warning:

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Firstly what system firmware are you currently on and what system firmware has it previously been using if any?

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks

Do you have any plugins running that are in system memory? I vaguely remember old CFW for the PSP mucking about inside the system memory quite frequently especially for plugins (what eventually became SE Plugins?)