Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Castlevania Portrait of Ruin original cart freezing :(

Thanks
    EP Points

Are you 100% sure it's authentic? I assume you know since you live in South America that there are extremely convincing fakes...
    Since I live in South America I'm expected to be some kind of pro in this stuff right? HAHAHAHAHA don't get me wrong I'm not butt hurt or something. That just made my day And I hate the fact that I was born here wish the game companies would just make something like Steam where I can buy easily with a payment method that is good for my country and the games get cheap when they get old!

I think I saw that video and I was like: This is refurbished and they are calling it fake cause the quality is not the best. So when you say fake you mean they can build a DS from zero? That's great cause they will never be instinct Oh well mine should be one of those fakes but I always could play games in it with no problems! Some games would freeze but it was very very rare to happen and I always thought it was the SD or R4 fault not the DS. What was making me mad is that the original cart is freezing more than my R4 but since this seems to be a bugged game I guess I will just have to play till the end and throw the thing out the window!

About the 3DS I'm still looking into it cause I don't have the luck to walk in a store and find stuff you guys find Buy on the internet is the best cause the prices are a little low but some sellers refuse to sell it factory sealed cause they say they want to test it so I just avoid that and wait for some better seller to appear.

Thanks a lot for the info I'm going to hunt some 3DS with those specs
    "Truly, if there is evil in this world, it lies within
    the heart of mankind." - Edward D. Morrison (Tales of Phantasia)

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Bruno View Post
    but since it's refurbished yeah the poor thing must have gone through some s***
    Entirely possible, though IME freezing issues with DS games have been problems with the cart rather than the console.

so I thought about the 2DS what you guys think? 2DS would let me play all DS games in a better bigger screen right? I never saw them but for me the 2DS looks

to have better hardware a bigger and better screen than the DSi XL! Also the 3D effects is something really worth it? Like you can finish the games for 3DS

without missing anything if you turn 3D off right?
    The main screen on the 2DS is a little under half an inch (diagonally) bigger than the DS Lite, and the DSi XLs is over an inch bigger. If you're just looking for a bigger screen, getting a DSi XL would be the cheaper option. On the other hand if you're willing to settle for only a somewhat bigger screen the 2DS does have the new Circle Pad (works like a joystick; much more comfortable than a D-Pad for some games imo).

As for the 3D feature I actually think it makes some games look better (looks great in Ocarina of Time 3D, Starfox 64 3D and Link Between Worlds). That said it's not important to gameplay at all, and actually drains your battery faster having it turned on.

this Portrait of ruin cart is loose as hell and I can move it with my finger!
    Yeah that's probably not normal, especially if you have other real carts and they fit fine. Definitely makes me think it's your cart and not your console.

cause I saw lot's of ppl using good SD's and good kits and even so they got freezing that's why I got the original instead of a DS Two for example in

hope that I would avoid all this freezing s***
    Funny enough the Supercard DSTwo is actually supposed to be one of the best cards out there, as far as freezing and games working straight away is concerned. Out of curiousity though which R4 do you have exactly? There are tons and tons of different ones, and only a handful are any good. For example a friend of mine had one I think called R4i-SDHC 3DS and it was terrible; most games would freeze randomly during games, more often when using any cheats, and some games wouldn't boot at all.
    Last edited by MaslowK; 10th-August-2014 at 01:28.
    "I think that the problem with this video is it is highly derivative of many popular bands within the genre. Although when viewed on its own merits, it does have a deeper groove. However what it has in groove, it lacks in originality. One can't help but be reminded of such bands as Pearl Jam, White Zombie, Suicidal Tendencies and other bands that bear the mantle of so called "Alternative Rock". One is even reminded of Lorie Anderson when she wore curlers. Hehehmhm! This video speaks less to the heart and more to the sphincter. In closing, I think Korn would do well to learn more from -"

Thanks
    EP Points

The main screen on the 2DS is a little under half an inch (diagonally) bigger than the DS Lite, and the DSi XLs is over an inch bigger. If you're just looking for a bigger screen, getting a DSi XL would be the cheaper option. On the other hand if you're willing to settle for only a somewhat bigger screen the 2DS does have the new Circle Pad (works like a joystick; much more comfortable than a D-Pad for some games imo).

As for the 3D feature I actually think it makes some games look better (looks great in Ocarina of Time 3D, Starfox 64 3D and Link Between Worlds). That said it's not important to gameplay at all, and actually drains your battery faster having it turned on.
    I still want a 3DS so I will keep looking for some good price. DSi XL here is rare and when you find one it's about the same price as a 3DS so...

Yeah that's probably not normal, especially if you have other real carts and they fit fine. Definitely makes me think it's your cart and not your console.
    No real carts just Portrait of Ruin and my R4. But since the R4 is completely still when I insert it and the real cart don't I think there is something wrong but I'm tired of my bad luck so I'm just playing the game and ignoring the fact that it froze two times

Out of curiousity though which R4 do you have exactly?
    mine is called R4i Blue: http://dsdatabase.org/attachment.php...8&d=1271995603

While I was looking for the image of my R4 I found a more recent version of my kernel on file trip. Since I remember to see the official site of my R4 going down and I never saw that version in there I have a question: Can I brick the R4 using this? I think the answer is no but doesn't hurt to ask
    Last edited by Bruno; 10th-August-2014 at 14:10.

Thanks
    Thanked 13,309 Times in 1,165 Posts
    EP Points

Since I live in South America I'm expected to be some kind of pro in this stuff right? HAHAHAHAHA don't get me wrong I'm not butt hurt or something. That just made my day
    Well I did copy/paste my previous post there.

So when you say fake you mean they can build a DS from zero?
    Yeah, China can build a DS from scratch. They have all the technical specs, and can obtain all the parts cheap, and toss them out cheaper than Nintendo can while still making a profit.
    There are a few things to watch out for. First your DS could be a little more flaky than a real one (although it may not be), China isn't exactly worried about build quality, and it is an issue you're complaining about. The screens may not look as nice as a real one, but real ones don't exactly have the greatest screens. So as long as you aren't instantly bothered by the screens I'm sure it's fine. The battery life can suck. Putting in a small battery is the easiest place to cut costs. You can pop your DS open and check what the mAh rating on it is, and buy some better one if need be.
    *PSA* Wii Redump collector's can now unscrub ISO files. So scrubbed games can now be verified. You can find the program to do this here

Thanks
    EP Points

My DS is not that bad only the battery that I changed, the buttons that still can be used but I feel like they're dying said that the rest is OK. But my next one will be bought on a store sealed! Problem is the price so I will keep making my searches

I know the more I wait the most difficult will be to find one with the correct serial but I refuse to pay for the price they ask. Also I believe they can update the flash carts and make then run on the latest firmwares right?

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

My DS is not that bad only the battery that I changed, the buttons that still can be used but I feel like they're dying said that the rest is OK. But my next one will be bought on a store sealed! Problem is the price so I will keep making my searches

I know the more I wait the most difficult will be to find one with the correct serial but I refuse to pay for the price they ask. Also I believe they can update the flash carts and make then run on the latest firmwares right?
    Lots and lots and lots of carts have been perm blocked

the 3DS kit has been stuck for on firmware 5.X we are up to 7.X now with lots of revisions in between they still want to make these work on newer firmwares but nothing has been done in that respect for a very long time now

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks
    EP Points

wow Nintendo is doing a good job! But I guess that having a very old firmware can be real bad right? I mean you will want to play some new game you bought original cause the flash cart can't support it and it will not let you cause of the firmware. Also online play is impossible right? That's another thing that keeps telling me to wait a little more.

Since you have one 3DS can I buy all the games in digital form from Nintendo eshop or it's just for some games? Digital can be less expensive and easy since some titles are very rare to find in stores around here but I need to make a little research about that since they're not like Valve and will not let me pay with the best payment method. If things were easier I would pay tons of money in the consoles knowing that the games you get good digital prices as they get old!

How about rom hacks? Can they already make translation patches and undubs? Guess not but who knows!

Thanks
    EP Points

But I guess that having a very old firmware can be real bad right?
    For now yeah, game compatibility and online capabilities (specifically the eShop; not sure about normal online play) are an issue when using an older firmware. It's the same problem they had with the PSP for a while, and those issues were ironed out eventually while still letting you play backups. I imagine they'll eventually have it figured out with the 3DS too; it'll probably just take a while.

Since you have one 3DS can I buy all the games in digital form from Nintendo eshop or it's just for some games?
    Don't think they have every 3DS title constantly available, but they do usually have a pretty decent selection overall, normally including the newest releases and even some older games (NES, GBA etc, here's a list).
    "I think that the problem with this video is it is highly derivative of many popular bands within the genre. Although when viewed on its own merits, it does have a deeper groove. However what it has in groove, it lacks in originality. One can't help but be reminded of such bands as Pearl Jam, White Zombie, Suicidal Tendencies and other bands that bear the mantle of so called "Alternative Rock". One is even reminded of Lorie Anderson when she wore curlers. Hehehmhm! This video speaks less to the heart and more to the sphincter. In closing, I think Korn would do well to learn more from -"