Thread: Found an old PSP 3000(?). Need help and analysis if OK for PS1 emulator. PAGING EXPERTS

Thanks

Default Found an old PSP 3000(?). Need help and analysis if OK for PS1 emulator. PAGING EXPERTS

Hi guys,

I'm really new here. I found this old PSP3000 in the store and I plan to install a PS1 emulator in it.
    The battery still works fine, just needs a charge but nothing a couple hours can't help.
    I'm very new to this and don't know where's the head and tail of this.
    I have a few questions, but I'll number point them so it's easier to read:

1. How do you identify if this is indeed a PSP3000?
    2. Are there any specifications I would need to install a PS1 emulator? (or at least make it compatible)
    3. Under the System Software, it's listed to be 6.20 PRO-B10 and MAC Address is a 03g. Is that good enough?
    4. Any chances of bricking? What do I look out for to prevent that?

Any tips will be greatly appreciated!

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

1. It's serial number on the base should tell you if it is still readable, but yours is a 3000 03g version (03g and 04g are 3000 models)

2. It already has the emulator built into it

3. It's ok but you might want to update it to 6.60 PRO C fix 3 (don't do a Pro C2 update though that breaks PSone Classics support)

4. very very little chance, but on installing any updates always make sure it has a good amount of charge and is plugged in on charge at the same time

I will expand on 2. though

PSone Classics will just work, these are official PSN versions of the PSone classics, though you may need to update your firmware as some as newer ones are designed to work on the latest firmware version of 6.60

PSX-PSP though are home converted from PSone disc images and usually require something called Popsloader to be installed, though this gets a lot of users and may take some messing to find the version of pops that works

We have guides up for both Popsloader and installing newer versions of Pro custom firmware

I have all the official firmware updates uploaded that should be in the other guides

EDIT moved to Everything Console, the mentioned guides are in the stuck thread in this Sony section, the one it was in is for emulating on a Computer only
    Last edited by Zorlon; 5th-July-2014 at 18:04.

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks

Thanks for the speedy reply Zorlon! That's good to know most of it's stats get the green light!

More questions:
    1. I just looked up PSone Classics and noticed that there are regions. The PSP doesn't have any region locks, does it? (I've been actively using a 3ds, so I'm not sure on Sony products)
    2. If I choose not to update it, I'm only bound to a specific list of games am I correct? Do I have to look for old files of say Game A? Or will any version of Game A be compatible? (i.e App X works for iOS 1.1. But will also work for later versions of it like iOS 1.2, 1.3, 1.4. Does the Sony programmes follow this logic? Or is it App X will only work on iOS 1.1 and no other?) Sorry if this analogy is shod. :/ Mostly I'm afraid of changing anything in the current system.
    3. Ideally, I'd like to opt for the ISO playable emulator. Any tips on how I can go about this?
    Last edited by clowve; 5th-July-2014 at 18:31.

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

1. Nope no lock out's with Custom Firmware that Pro is

2. For official PSone Classics, if it works for older versions it will work on newer versions also, new ones made for newer versions will not work on older versions

2. For unofficial PSX-PSP converts they tend to work perfect with 1 or 2 versions of Pops but that is not to say they will work with the latest version it is usually an older version that works and does not work on newer versions hence the need of Popsloader, that is not such a bad thing if you happen to know of the issuers before hand and what exact version lets you play the game start to end, otherwise the game may seem fine but crash out later in game

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks

Thanks again Zorlon! This answers most of my questions! If there's any tips you can give me on the ISO-playable route, I'll really appreciate it! (I edited that in at the last minute. )

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

just copy PSP ISO images to the path

ISO\*.iso

eBoot files usually emulators and homebrew games (includes PSone Classics) go in

PSP\GAME\folder for prog\eboot.pbp (includes any support files)

the PSP's PSX emulator does not run PSX ISO images well not directly they would need converting via PSP-PSX software or get them pre built or just go for the PSone Classics

EDIT you may find some PSP games in cso format that is just a compressed iso file and can be stored in the ISO folder just like normal ISO's

If you find that the cso file stutters, lags or has slow load times then you might want to un-compress that back to iso format with UMDGEN (PC software) or one of the many UMD tools that support cso formats like PSP ISO Compresser, found in the Files and Links stuck thread
    Last edited by Zorlon; 5th-July-2014 at 18:54.

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]

Thanks

Hey Zorlon,

As it turns out, there are certain games that are not available in my region. So I'll have to find an alternative method to obtain them.

Lemme try to get confirmation on this:
    Would I need an ISO file if I have an eBoot file? Also, will I need to get an emulator if it is a PS1 game eBoot file (i.e Would I still need Popsloader?)
    I'm planning to convert a PSX ISO file into an eBoot for it to run. What would I need to make sure I do?

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

What games are you after?

The region is not a factor the PSP is region free what CFW is installed

Nope you don't need an iso if you already have the eboot

Home made PSX eboots... we have an almost complete collection at http://www.emuparadise.me/PSX_on_PSP_ISOs/67

To make your own you need something like PSX2PSP or Popstation GUI

I have been posting PSone Classics myself over the last few days http://www.epforums.org/showthread.php?79809 PSone Classics are listed near the end of the list there, tagged [PSone Classics]
    Last edited by Zorlon; 5th-July-2014 at 20:22.

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]

Thanks

@Zorlon: I'm actually looking for Waku Waku Volley. It's a rare Japanese game. Apparently the format is NTSC.
    I had it once on CD, but it's missing somewhere. I managed to find the .rar file for it, but it turns out there was only 1 bin file and 1 cue file.

Fast forward-- I looked up how to convert Bin/Cue files into an eBoot file and now I'm wondering if they will work. Would you reckon I'd still need the Popsloader?

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Yiou can run [PAL][E], [NTSC][U] and [NTSC][J] games just fine on your PSP

Most converted ones do need Popsloader though, very few can run without it

However I have the official PSone Classics version of that game, sat on one of my External Hard drives so I can upload that for you if you want it, it's only 17 MB.

EDIT: Uploaded

Download Links:
    Links are hidden from guests. Please register to be able to view these links. Spoiler contains images used in this post
    Spoiler warning:

Hope you enjoy this one, I also have tons uploaded in the PSP uploads section, though not sure if you can access that yet, you may need more active posts, not 100% sure I don't manage that section of the forum myself

PSP Master List for the forums uploads, the PSone Classics are marked as [PSone Classics] and are listed after the [Mod] PSP iso's (those are PSP games that have been hacked in some way mostly Translations and Undubs)
    Last edited by Zorlon; 6th-July-2014 at 07:18.

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]

Thanks
    Thanked 13,309 Times in 1,165 Posts
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Zorlon View Post
    Hope you enjoy this one, I also have tons uploaded in the PSP uploads section, though not sure if you can access that yet, you may need more active posts, not 100% sure I don't manage that section of the forum myself
    He's fine. Any registered user can browse that section properly. The PS3/360 sections are the only ones with restricted access.

Also, great work on all the PSone Classics postings. I have a decent sized folder with every game I'd want, but I haven't even decrypted most of the packages So I'm seriously considering just deleting my collection and regrabbing what I want from you.
    *PSA* Wii Redump collector's can now unscrub ISO files. So scrubbed games can now be verified. You can find the program to do this here

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Ragnar For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Oh my goodness it works fantastic @Zorlon! Thank you so much! I guess I came to the right place! The file I downloaded before failed to work :/

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Ragnar View Post
    He's fine. Any registered user can browse that section properly. The PS3/360 sections are the only ones with restricted access.

Also, great work on all the PSone Classics postings. I have a decent sized folder with every game I'd want, but I haven't even decrypted most of the packages So I'm seriously considering just deleting my collection and regrabbing what I want from you.
    Thanks for the update, I wasn't sure with the main site ones being from prem users

I'm kind of hand picking what I upload, so if there is something missing out of the first 800 you want, just let me know, I can't seem to find any after 800 though, in either eboot or pkg format

Quote Originally Posted by clowve View Post
    Oh my goodness it works fantastic @Zorlon! Thank you so much! I guess I came to the right place! The file I downloaded before failed to work :/
    My pleasure

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]