Thread: PS1 DualShock Rumble (vibration)

Thanks

Default PS1 DualShock Rumble (vibration)

6 years ago I bought a blue controller adapter with a USB entry to connect my PlayStation 1 DualShock controller into my computer. Since then, I have been using the controller without any problems in all sort of programs (EPSXE, PCSX2, games with x360ce support, etc), and all the buttons work perfectly, including the analog sticks.

The main issue is that I've never managed to make the vibration function (rumble) to work for this controller, and if the adapter came with a special driver, I don't have it anymore.

Every time that I format my computer and reinstall my operational system (currently Windows 7 64bits), the OS automatically finds the driver for my controller and I don't have to install it from a CD or search it on the Internet.

When I check the devices window, Windows shows that I have a "Twin USB Joystick" connected. If I check it's properties, there are 3 device entries: 1) input device 2) HID-compliant game controller 3) HID-compliant game controller.

If I check the properties of the HID-compliant game controller, it shows:
    - Driver provider: Microsoft
    - Driver date: 06/21/2006
    - Driver version: 6.1.7601.17514

I would like to know if it's possible to activate the rumble function and how to do it. I assume that the problem isn't with the adapter, but instead that I need a new driver, but I'm not sure if that is correct.

Thanks for the attention.

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Just as well I uploaded a rumble driver then, just check out the files and links stuck thread I stuffed it in there (that is the top thread in this section a bit hard to miss )

It should work fine with that adapter I have one of those myself, even if I do use a PS2 controller most the time, I'm sure it worked fine with my original Dual shock pads also
    Last edited by Zorlon; 8th-July-2014 at 13:53.

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Zorlon For This Useful Post:

Thanks

I've installed the Pad Vibration (Pad Vibration Setup.exe) as you suggested. It created a "Game option" shortcut on my desktop.
    When I open the devices' control panel, I can see that the Twin USB Joystick icon changed from a joystick to a keyboard. When I open it's properties and check the Hardware tab, I see that there are more entries than before (like HID keyboard device) to a total of 7 entries (USB device, 2x HID keyboard, 2x HID-compliant game controller, 2x HID compatible mouse). The properties for the HID-compliant game controllers remain the same (same date, same version).

After running the setup, I tried to run Resident Evil 3 on ePSXe, but the rumble still doesn't work in the menus (While selecting New/Load game) or while being eaten by zombies. I'm not sure if there is vibration for these situations, but that is what I recall from my childhood.
    Just in case, I made sure that the gamepad was set to DualShock (F5) (shown by the Analog ON window) and the in-game vibration was set to ON.

If the problem isn't related to the adapter, the driver, or the controller, I can only assume that it is a configuration problem.
    This is the window that shows up after I click on Config => Game Pad => Port 1 => Pad 1: Link to image
    As we can see, I didn't touch the Rumble settings for the gamepad, because I'm not sure if I need to or what they should be set to.

Can you help me?

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by alOhalOha View Post
    I've installed the Pad Vibration (Pad Vibration Setup.exe) as you suggested. It created a "Game option" shortcut on my desktop.
    When I open the devices' control panel, I can see that the Twin USB Joystick icon changed from a joystick to a keyboard. When I open it's properties and check the Hardware tab, I see that there are more entries than before (like HID keyboard device) to a total of 7 entries (USB device, 2x HID keyboard, 2x HID-compliant game controller, 2x HID compatible mouse). The properties for the HID-compliant game controllers remain the same (same date, same version).

After running the setup, I tried to run Resident Evil 3 on ePSXe, but the rumble still doesn't work in the menus (While selecting New/Load game) or while being eaten by zombies. I'm not sure if there is vibration for these situations, but that is what I recall from my childhood.
    Just in case, I made sure that the gamepad was set to DualShock (F5) (shown by the Analog ON window) and the in-game vibration was set to ON.

If the problem isn't related to the adapter, the driver, or the controller, I can only assume that it is a configuration problem.
    This is the window that shows up after I click on Config => Game Pad => Port 1 => Pad 1: Link to image
    As we can see, I didn't touch the Rumble settings for the gamepad, because I'm not sure if I need to or what they should be set to.

Can you help me?
    Check the PC pad setup end first, we can look at the ePSXe setup later

Spoiler just contains the images in this post
    Spoiler warning:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Untitled2.png 
Views:	2418 
Size:	34.4 KB 
ID:	41881Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Untitled.jpg 
Views:	2671 
Size:	70.0 KB 
ID:	41882
    Last edited by Zorlon; 8th-July-2014 at 14:47.

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Zorlon For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Zorlon View Post
    Check the PC pad setup end first, we can look at the ePSXe setup later

You see, I was looking for some sort of program to test the vibration, but I had no idea that there was one built in the new driver options.
    I opened the Vibration Test as you told me to, and checked the settings. To my surprise, the vibration is working flawlessly!
    I also changed the Rumble settings from ePSXe to (Type: DX Joy1), (Big Motor: Constant), (Small Motor: Constant), and now the vibration also works in-game!

Is there any risk to my controller if I increase the Vibration strength to 100%?

Anyway, I would like to thank you for the help. I still can't believe that it's working so well! Only if I knew about this before...

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Nope but your hands may drop off with the force or other parts that happen to be touching it, neh kidding.

The vibration is not that strong on 100%, it's perfectly safe to have it set to 100%

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Zorlon For This Useful Post: