Thread: Burning PSX games to run on modded PSX console.

Thanks

Default Burning PSX games to run on modded PSX console.

So i have got a chipped/modded ps1 and i want to download and play some copied games on it, so i downloaded oddworld/abe's odyesee off this site and burnt ISO image onto disk using a program called ImgBurn at 1x speed but its not working i have tried 3 times please help!

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

What games do you have working?

What files did you get for the Abe games and what did you do to them if anything before burning?

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks

i followed this tutorial and it still did not work! -Link removed-
    Last edited by Zorlon; 8th-July-2014 at 17:53.

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

please don't link in other rom sites here

looks like you don't have a modded console at all then

if it's chipped it can boot backups directly no swap trick required, just correct burning required
    Last edited by Zorlon; 8th-July-2014 at 17:55.

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks

it is modded ive got copied games that play on it

somethimes it just stays on the playstation logo when i put the disc in
    Last edited by Zorlon; 8th-July-2014 at 17:59. Reason: double post

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Please do not double post, just use Edit Post if you need to add more info (button is on the lower fight of your posts)

If that is the case do not use any swap methods, just start the games directly

If you are getting to the PSX logo, then it's working, sounds more like an issue with the drive reading CD-R media, could either be an actual drive issue or rubbish media you are burning onto

It could be that you are still not burning correctly that is why I asked what files you had for the game and if you changed any of the files in any way, renaming converting ect ect

While I'm here I will ask by what file did you burn by in Imgburn?

There is usually a good reason why questions must be asked before answers can be given

EDIT forgot to ask but what region is the console and what region are the games you are failing to run
    Last edited by Zorlon; 8th-July-2014 at 18:08.

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]

Thanks

i burned the .cue file on 10x speed

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

still not answered my Qs correctly, you only got 1 Q answered, but at least it was the correct answer

what other files came with the file?
    did you do anything to the files before burning?
    what region is you console?
    what region are the games?
    what kind of mod chip does the console have?

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]

Thanks
    EP Points

Pal, 10x is too fast. I burn my backups at 4x, and it's only for this one PS1. My other one won't read it, nor the PS2. So I't really up to the lowest burning speed. Try other burners available to you, and diffrent manufacturor of media. My PS1 doesn't like Philips CDs at all, for me the brands that work the best are:
    Verbatim -printable (blue-ish bottom disc color )
    -Crystal (also blue-ish)
    Traxdata - I bought some games from a local pirate seller, and he used this discs:
    052.215.029.jpg

They work on all my PS1's and my PS2.

You might want to look for older CD burners with lower burn speeds.

Also, if the game is copy protected you have to patch it.

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by war1ock View Post
    Pal, 10x is too fast. I burn my backups at 4x, and it's only for this one PS1. My other one won't read it, nor the PS2. So I't really up to the lowest burning speed. Try other burners available to you, and diffrent manufacturor of media. My PS1 doesn't like Philips CDs at all, for me the brands that work the best are:
    Verbatim -printable (blue-ish bottom disc color )
    -Crystal (also blue-ish)
    Traxdata - I bought some games from a local pirate seller, and he used this discs:
    052.215.029.jpg

They work on all my PS1's and my PS2.

You might want to look for older CD burners with lower burn speeds.

Also, if the game is copy protected you have to patch it.
    Depends on the hardware for example my slowest burning speed is 10x and at that rate I get perfect CD burns

When all the sites and forums first thought of this 4x rule it was flawed from the start at the time though that was the slowest speed for most CD burners of the time so in general that was ok advise but for those still on older CD burning hardware that 4x was the max speed, 4x produced bad burns or lower quality burns but burning on that older hardware at 1x gave off perfect burns, most of today's burners can not burn CD's as low as 4x

If you want a burning rule just set your burning software to 1x, the hardware will auto adjust that anyway (same thing goes for DVD burning)

There is a higher chance of getting bad burns from older burning hardware at 4x than there is with newer hardware at 10x mostly due to the age of the hardware than anything else

The slowest burning speed was verified about the same time that the 4x thing spread like wildfire over the internet (actually it was before then, ut was re verified plenty of times after, including here a number of times)

Media however you are bang on some of the media you can get is very very poor quality (price has little to do with it as I have had some very cheap media work just fine, though it is mostly those that degraded and stopped working, including those nasty Traxdata discs that do burn to fine but they tend to degrade and the silver starts to go over time, just look after those the best you can to try and avoid that)

Verbatims are great but there are cheaper options, there are also some naff Verbatims but as with most bands there are tons of discs they do both good and bad

The protection patching depends on the mod chip installed, as it happens neither of the games have protection in them anyway so not an issue in this instance
    Last edited by Zorlon; 8th-July-2014 at 19:18.

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Zorlon For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    EP Points

I have SCPH-7501 and I always burn at 4x. I've tried higher speeds but I always get errors when played like FMV stutter and audio track skipping. I found that imgburn works great but I usually stick to Alcohol120%. i may just delete Alcohol120% and stick with imgburn though since it does the same thing and it's free.

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

My external Iomega CDRW that it's max was 4x and min was 1x created bad burns at 4x with the whole stuttering movies, though audio tracks are always fine except if they are done through xa then they would stutter a little, but at 1x I never got any stutter, just the pain of waiting 4x as long for the burn to complete

Yeah Alcohol Burning Rom is not required to be honest it never was, but at the time because of it's PSX mode, people swore by it for a time even though that setup is the same as default settings in almost every burning software out there, it was never any special setup or anything, but those that tampered too much with settings that they did not understand alcohol was a saving grace.
    Last edited by Zorlon; 14th-July-2014 at 11:47.

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Zorlon View Post
    Depends on the hardware for example my slowest burning speed is 10x and at that rate I get perfect CD burns

When all the sites and forums first thought of this 4x rule it was flawed from the start at the time though that was the slowest speed for most CD burners of the time so in general that was ok advise but for those still on older CD burning hardware that 4x was the max speed, 4x produced bad burns or lower quality burns but burning on that older hardware at 1x gave off perfect burns, most of today's burners can not burn CD's as low as 4x

If you want a burning rule just set your burning software to 1x, the hardware will auto adjust that anyway (same thing goes for DVD burning)

There is a higher chance of getting bad burns from older burning hardware at 4x than there is with newer hardware at 10x mostly due to the age of the hardware than anything else

The slowest burning speed was verified about the same time that the 4x thing spread like wildfire over the internet (actually it was before then, ut was re verified plenty of times after, including here a number of times)

Media however you are bang on some of the media you can get is very very poor quality (price has little to do with it as I have had some very cheap media work just fine, though it is mostly those that degraded and stopped working, including those nasty Traxdata discs that do burn to fine but they tend to degrade and the silver starts to go over time, just look after those the best you can to try and avoid that)

Verbatims are great but there are cheaper options, there are also some naff Verbatims but as with most bands there are tons of discs they do both good and bad

The protection patching depends on the mod chip installed, as it happens neither of the games have protection in them anyway so not an issue in this instance
    Anyone having trouble burning PS1 backups should pay close attention to Zorlan's post. Many people think that lower=better, but times have changed. Burners are different than they used to be. The absolute best advice I can give you is to experiment. Try it at the lowest speed first, like Zorlon said, it will auto adjust to the lowest speed your burner supports. If that doesn't work try a higher speed. Sometimes that will produce a better result. Unfortunately this is the nature of playing backup games. Trial and error. For media I recommend getting a stack of 100 Taiyo yuden CD-R's on ebay. You can get them for under $30 if you don't mind plastic instead of a cake box. The only discs I've had fail were the result of a corrupt image file. If it still doesn't work go to your local electronics store and buy an external burner for under $40. Cheaper external drives tend to have lower burn speeds. If it doesn't work you can always just return it and try a different brand.
    Last edited by DenverNugs; 6th-September-2014 at 02:42.