Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SNK fighting arcade games and options during practice.

Thanks
    EP Points

Default SNK fighting arcade games and options during practice.

Hello all!

My doubt is to how do I go to the options after you entered the practice mode , so you can change the gauge settings and or go into character change without restarting the game.
    I remember I was able to do that in Last Blade 2 , King Of Fighters 2001 and also SVC Chaos. I just used the dipswitches to basically set the arcade machine mode to Home configuration and then you would get the practice modes for basically any fighting game from SNK .
    There was maybe a shortcut with the buttons , hold this one and press start , something among those actions , but I cannot recall it .
    But I do remember getting into the practice and being able to return to the character change screen or even change the settings of the practice session.
    I have searched for this thread here and also all over the net , am going to look into the Kao Megura faqs you always find in gamefaqs for I think thats where I found it the first time , and that was ages ago but I don't remember what game it was that I found that little piece of valuable info ...
    So , if any of you guys remember that , please help me out , not a real big issue I know , but would be deeply satisfying not to have to restart the game every time you wanna alter something.
    Thank you guys for the website and the forum , congrats to all.
    DysteR

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

In MAME just tap TAB to bring up the menu that will include dip switches if the original board had dip switches

You can do that at any time during game play

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks
    EP Points

Hummm ...
    Yeah , I know that one , I am asking who knows how to go back to the Practice options that you usually see at the beginning of every practice session , change the gauges , what the computer opponent does , even going back to the change character screen.

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

If there are options to do that try downloading the arcade manuals see if they have things like that listed

Or yeah gamefaqs may have some info myself never heard of such a feature that can be activated during play

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Shooting Sonic Booms and Flash Kicking Scrubs into submission
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,774 Times in 750 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

From my vast experience playing Neogeo (emulated of course) very few games have that feature like some KOF and SNK VS Capcom Chaos.
    THE BEST METHOD to run PSX games (and everything else for that matter) is via Retroarch - http://buildbot.libretro.com/nightly/
    If you have any questions on how to set it up on Windows please feel free to ask, its very easy.

Thanks
    EP Points

I was able to see something pointing out that if you use the NEXT GAME button , you can get into the practice options menu.
    Now ... Where is this next game thingie thing ? I cannot seem to find it on any of the screens on mame configuration menus.
    I remember having it , but now I can only find select new game in one of the menus in mame.
    If I am not mistaken , I saw this in the Kao Megura faq for King Of Fighters 2001 , the one KOF that I have played the most.
    Will try to find it again and edit this post with what he explained there.

It is in the FAQ made by Kao Megura for King Of Fighters 2003:

------------------------------------------------------------------------
    PLAY AS A BOSS CHARACTER (BIOS)
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have the debug bios, you can select the bosses simply by going to
    any member of the K' Team and pressing down once or twice (or pressing
    up on the Hero Team once or twice). This will select the "boxes" where
    the bosses are.

Also, if you have the debug bios, you can access the Practice Menu
    in Practice Mode by pressing the "next game" button.

I don't know where the debug bios is, how to get it, or how to install
    it, so please don't ask.

Now ... anyone have a clue where I can get the debug bios for KoF 2003 ?
    How about for SVC Chaos and KoF 2001 ?
    And now begins another journey through google!
    Last edited by dyster; 22nd-July-2014 at 01:29.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Just use Final Burn Alpha or Mame Plus/Mame Plus Plus Kailerra and you can set it to the universe bios which lets you choose region and arcade or console mode, plus cheats such as ones to add blood, Fatalities in SSV Special or Mai's bouncy assets

Edit, forgot to mention use Console mode if you want the practice menu option.

Either that or use the Japanese AES bios.
    Last edited by Warrior; 22nd-July-2014 at 02:12.
    THE BEST METHOD to run PSX games (and everything else for that matter) is via Retroarch - http://buildbot.libretro.com/nightly/
    If you have any questions on how to set it up on Windows please feel free to ask, its very easy.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Warrior For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    EP Points

Thank you mister Gobby , I was able to fiddle around with MAME and found where to set up the BIOS for NEOGEO games.
    After testing the Universal , Debug , and japanese bios , I was still unable to play the games.
    The uni bios didn't allow me to load the games, I guess it was missing or some file was missing.
    I set it to "HOME" which I guess it is what Gobby meant by "CONSOLE" in the dip switches.
    The reason it didn't allow me to play was that the graphics were messed up for some weird reason.
    The games run fine , its just impossible to play.
    This is the title screen for King Of Fighters 2001:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Clipboard03.jpg 
Views:	200 
Size:	23.0 KB 
ID:	41997

And this would be the menu screen after you hit start :

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Clipboard02.jpg 
Views:	564 
Size:	52.0 KB 
ID:	41998

Anyone experienced the graphic glitch ? And if so how do I fix this ?It is possible to play KoF 2003 but without being able to see much information on the screen like Health bars , character portraits , gauge bar or the clock.
    SVC Chaos has the same problem as KoF 2001 rendering it unplayable , maybe it is my version of mame ?
    We are almost there guys , thank you for all the support so far.
    I believe in a world where everyone should have practice options!
    Okay then , I will fight MAME some more and come back later.

EDIT : My version of MAME is MAME 32 PLUS! PLUS! 0.119

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

please find attached neogeo.zip

if the games still don't run take note of what it is missing, they may need more than the files inside neogeo.zip to run
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Zorlon; 22nd-July-2014 at 13:12.

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]

Thanks
    EP Points

After downloading the version of Mame Kailera indicated by Gobby and the NEO GEO bios files from Zorlon am I yet to have any sucess with any of the SNK games working.
    I was able to get King Of Fighters 2003 but I believe it was from the MAME session and it had no options to configure the dip switches , other than that nothing else but a few old school games worked , like Karate Champ and Pole Position.
    I have been downloading all the roms from emuparadise NEO GEO session , and after that I tried the MAME session but to no sucess still.
    After that I just went browsing the internet for random room files here and there and yet not a single version of King Of Fighters 2001 or SVC Chaos has provided me any success.
    I have the MAME from Gobby and the bios from Zorlon , now where should I get the roms ? Mainly CPS3 , SNK fighting ones ,and of course Magical Drop and Twinkle Star Sprites.
    Where would be the place to get em ?

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

I FOUND THE ANSWER TO YOUR ORIGINAL POST

to enable the practice menu in some of those fighters you need to set select and coin on the coin button, iv just done this in FBA and the menus now show , tried it in a few that dont show the practice menu like Last Blade, if you need the new latest bios for FBA let me know.

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by dyster View Post
    After downloading the version of Mame Kailera indicated by Gobby and the NEO GEO bios files from Zorlon am I yet to have any sucess with any of the SNK games working.
    I was able to get King Of Fighters 2003 but I believe it was from the MAME session and it had no options to configure the dip switches , other than that nothing else but a few old school games worked , like Karate Champ and Pole Position.
    I have been downloading all the roms from emuparadise NEO GEO session , and after that I tried the MAME session but to no sucess still.
    After that I just went browsing the internet for random room files here and there and yet not a single version of King Of Fighters 2001 or SVC Chaos has provided me any success.
    I have the MAME from Gobby and the bios from Zorlon , now where should I get the roms ? Mainly CPS3 , SNK fighting ones ,and of course Magical Drop and Twinkle Star Sprites.
    Where would be the place to get em ?
    I missed the last Q but from our main server would be the best place, the sets are reasonably up to date, kinda depends on the version of Mame that Mame Kailera is based on

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]

Thanks
    EP Points

My kind Mister Zorlon , would the main server be EmuParadise main website ? If so those were the roms that I have been downloading , will give it one more try .
    Where to get the proper SNK fighting games roms , and if possible also JoJo Heritage For The Future and SF3 .

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Yeah that would be correct but like I said it depends on the version of MAME you have for the roms to work, for Mame more so than any other emulator it is important that the roms match the version of Mame they are intended for, if there is a miss match there is a chance something will be missing

generally if you use a gui version of mame you can audit a game and it will give a report of what is missing and the folder/s (zip file) it looked for the roms in that is a huge hint on what you need to get to make a certain game work

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]