Thread: Extracting Instruments from Tekken 2

Thanks

Default Extracting Instruments from Tekken 2

I've seen on the internet how to extract the instruments from the Crash Bandicoot games using PSound and then using them in FL Studio to create your own songs. I know Namco put protection on their discs to stop people getting into them, and if anyone did I'm not sure Tekken 2 uses the same kind of audio, but I'm wondering if people have tried ripping the music before and can tell me if it's in any way possible?

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Most PSX games do just use XA files or XA containers that just about any PSX sound ripping tools can handle

I don't know about Tekken 2 though not had enough interest to even look, but sounds like you have not looked either, if you have that much interest in doing so I would of thought you might of tested first.

Best way to find out is just to go ahead and try, then if you you just can then I will take a look myself and see if there is an alt way to rip it or just grab the OST (Original Sound Track) for the game

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks

I've been testing it for quite a while to no avail, hence my asking on this forum. My problem isn't that I can't get the soundtrack, it's that I can't get the individual instruments that make up the soundtrack. My guess is that it's to do with the protection that Namco hold on discs, however before I give up all hope I'd rather someone with more experience than me tell me if it's possible.

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Most games don't use instruments but rather pre recorded and stored either as CDDA or XA storage

instruments kinda points to the game using some sort of midi form but very few games used that on the PSX, not even sure games like DooM did that normally was produced via instruments but the PSX version used CDDA if I remember correctly (I could be mistaken)

My guess is that the game simply does not produce the music with that method

But I will check that out.

EDIT yeah the BGM is stored in XA format that is pre recorded though I do admit it does sound like it has been created in a midi style, but XA is much the same as WAV format or maybe lossy format not 100% sure but Sony tools converts from Wav format to XA, this game uses a XAS file that I will presume is a XA container, but I just used a disc analyzer to scan for XA content among other content and found the BGM in XA format.

They seem to be multi channel XA format so each track has multiple BGM's there are only 7 but the random one I checked had 8 channels of stereo music each containing different music

I used an older version of PSMPlay the find those, as I am unsure what method was used to create the XAS file I wouldn't know how to extract the xa files from that correctly and don't feel like doing lots of research to find out

PSMPlay should let you convert individual channels though, then again it's been many years since I done that sort of thing and PSMPlay may not be able to that I can't seem to find what I used to use and loved
    Last edited by Zorlon; 23rd-June-2014 at 19:41.

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR