Thread: Write protect softmod files...

Thanks

Default Write protect softmod files...

Is there any way to do this? I just got an xbox and softmodded it, installed an 80gb drive along with CoinOps6 and I found out the hard way that it's not safe to delete the save game files from the hard drive after you installed the softmod. Is there any way to limit what you can do from the dashboard so my 8 yr old son can use the xbox himself and I can rest easy while he plays it?

And thanks devs for all your hard work. Me and my son are very thankful for all the hours of retro gaming we can have now. I was always a PS2 guy and never really got into xbox until the 360. I love how easily hackable it is.

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

I'm sure you can't but then again I don't use CoinOps I use XBMC (Xbox Media Center)

Saves are normally not that easy to get to though, I will check later and see if XBMC can password the settings though that contain the Save data management and drive management tools that do let you delete ect

I still don't like the Xbox Controllers so I use PS2 ones instead via a converter (I have 2 of those) some of the games on Xbox that are multi system releases are better on the Xbox than the PS2 so work playing the Xbox versions of the PS2, though I do still love the PS2 I'm far from an Xbox fan boy.

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks

I'm not using XBMC, just coinops and UnleashX dash to select a few games. I was hoping I could write protect certain game saves and data via ftp without it messing anything up.

Okay, just found out XBMC can link to CoinOps and game folder so I may just use it after I research it a little this afternoon. Thanks.

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

XBMC is very nice the first thing I done was replace UnleashX or whatever the other one was I forget

I don't use coin ops myself and like to just use individual emulators per system but plenty love to use CoinOps

I would also install Avalaunch as an app/program (it can be used as a dash but XBMC is far sexier) and use Qwix to FTP with that way it has great a Game manager and Save manager (it will only let you delete saves from games that are installed so when it is time to uninstall a game you can remove the save also but does not let you delete saves that are from anything else like the custom dash) it also has FTP speed boosting that only works with Avalaunch, then you can disable FTP via XBMC and just use Avalaunch for FTP access making that a little bit more difficult to FTP by mistake, use something like Filezilla to FTP anything that is not an XBOX game though, you can still use that via Avalaunch if you like though.

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks

By the way, I wished I would've found a larger hdd but I don't plan on putting much more on here. Is there a compression standard for games on the hard drive?

Edit: Doing some googling, I take it there's no softmod native form of game compression. I'd love to be proven wrong.
    Last edited by jimsimmons; 11th-June-2014 at 23:06.

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

No your correct native games are not compressed and best not to, one of the reasons to install on HDD is faster load times, compressing files would only slow that process back down, plus the game itself would have to have a way of extracting on the fly, the only way to achieve that would be to reprogram the game from source code and most games will use some sort of compression to start with.

I don't even think the CD/DVD rom emulator that you can get for the xbox has any support for compressed iso's either like cso format, I think I would of noticed that.

Roms however for emulators are usually compressed because the entire rom can be loaded into memory from a compressed file with little time used, but you can't do that with entire Xbox retail games.
    Last edited by Zorlon; 12th-June-2014 at 10:07.

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]

Thanks

Ok, thanks for all your help. All I had laying around was an 80gig PATA and I've had to spend no money so far, even for the xbox as it was gifted to me, was hoping to keep it that way. Just to show you how much things have changed, I remember working summer jobs to pay $70 for SFII on SNES and all my other 34 SNES games. Now I have all those plus any classic games I could dream of at my disposal all for the price of nothing. The future is great though I do have Hyperspin and never been a stranger to emulators so it's no big surprise to me.

Also as you pointed out, the xbox controllers (d-pad) isn't that great but good enough for me and my son.

btw, the board seems to be having some issues since I joined. Keep getting this a lot:

"Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please reload the window."

That's with Firefox, maybe it's NoScript and cookie extension that's the problem. Just tried posting this on Chrome and no issue so far.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,577 Times in 1,219 Posts
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by jimsimmons View Post
    btw, the board seems to be having some issues since I joined. Keep getting this a lot:

"Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please reload the window."

That's with Firefox, maybe it's NoScript and cookie extension that's the problem. Just tried posting this on Chrome and no issue so far.
    Firefox v30 is working ok for me. I'm not using NoScript though, just Adblock Plus with tracking and history turned off.

Spoiler warning:

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

As for controllers I never liked the silly black/white keys they are not placed well in either Xbox pad designs and replace the lower triggers of a PS2 pad

If you play a multisystem game that used all the triggers in the PS2 version the Xbox version will use the Black and White keys for a couple of the triggers, this made some games just unplayable like Metal Gear Solid 2 that is an example of a game that used the black and white keys for something that you need easy access to but was not due to the black and white keys being used

To me anyway they placed the black and white buttons as if they are used for Start/Select functions, but because they get used as action buttons they don't work too well.

Can't say I have noticed any browser issues but I also use Chrome. You can also report any issues though at http://www.epforums.org/forumdisplay.php?9

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]