Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: PC to run Mortal Kombat Komplete Edition

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Zorlon View Post
    Shame no bluray but guess there is no rush for that you can always do that later, but please be aware that new mother boards tend not to support IDE drives any more and only support Serial ATA (SATA) that uses different connections so that old DVD drive may not work with it

Is the Gravis pad USB? the last I admit it was very very old... anyway the last Gravis Game Pad Pro I used, used the olde serial game port, that PC's no longer have, sticking with USB now

I presume the keyboard and mouse still work and use either PS/2 ports or USB, some boards don't have PS/2 either so can only use USB mind.

It depends how old your old desktop was

The first PC I had was a 7086 (pre 286 if you are wondering, if you know what a 286 was even) that I can guarantee nothing from that would work on today's machines but that was one of the first IBM machines

The following image shows IDE on the top and SATA under it, it is shown on a HDD but CD/DVD/BD drives are the same

almost forgot but you will need to buy an OS for that machine
    A os ????? do you mean the window 7 home premium ?????

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Yup

OS = Operating System

Most versions hat come with a PC can only be installed to that PC so it's something worth checking if you already have a copy, you may also get away with buying a licence or phone microsoft and say your old machine is dead and wish to install that on your new setup

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks

Yup

OS = Operating System

Most versions hat come with a PC can only be installed to that PC so it's something worth checking if you already have a copy, you may also get away with buying a licence or phone microsoft and say your old machine is dead and wish to install that on your new setup
    Cool but all i have right now is a old window vista Operating System setup i can ask my sister if she has the window 7 setup when i go visite her next week now is there anything else that i could ad to the list ?????

Thanks
    EP Points

Out of curiousity what are your current pc specs??

Don't think you posted them.

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by adam4landry View Post
    Cool but all i have right now is a old window vista Operating System setup i can ask my sister if she has the window 7 setup when i go visite her next week now is there anything else that i could ad to the list ?????
    Vista is just a beta of Windows 7 kind of, 7 is very much built on Vista and is alot more stable, there is Windows 8 now though not my thing personally.

If it has a licence for one machine that is all it can be used on, if you install that on your PC you will have to licence it anyway, it may also be a limited version that can only be installed on the machine it came with if it came with the machine another words it will scan the hardware and if it is not what it is expecting it will just not let you install it, if she has a multi licence version (usually only for businesses though) then you will be able to install it for free, otherwise you will still need to pay for it.

There is also an upgrade version of Windows but you would have to be able to install an older version of windows first again you may not be able to install Vista either as it will be licenced to one machine already so in order for it to install again you will need to buy a licence or phone microsoft and say you no longer want to use that on the old machine and you have upgraded due to the old one stopping working and they should give you a code to be able to install that (do not do that with your sisters copy of 7 though as it will stop working for her because the licence then moves to the new install)

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks

Hey guys i have a interesting question to ask a wild back my father got a desktop computer tower from a friend he use to work with (i have no idea if it still work i will have to check) i was thinking of maybe recycling some parts of that tower like the motherboard, the internal hard drive, and the power supply so i can ad them to the gaming desktop i am ordering but i don't no if i can do that what do you guys think ????

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Depends what it is

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]

Thanks

Depends what it is
    No offence zorlon i don't no what you mean by that ?????

Oh do you mean it depends on the motherboard that in the computer or it depends on the computer itself i just wondering because if i place the parts that in that computer in my new tower all i have to do is get a better cpu and a graphic card that i need on the other hand i thought it could work.
    Last edited by Zorlon; 13th-June-2014 at 16:36.

Thanks
    EP Points

Yeah you need to know the type of parts. A new cpu may not even work with the motherboard (most likely)

And the hard drive might be too old and slow or even an IDE drive which would be pretty much useless.

You can build a half decent machine fot around $500

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

I did go through most of that when you mentioned the olde keyboard mouse and game pad the same applies to any old hardware, it may not work with todays hardware

New CPU's fit totally differently to older ones ect..., you also can't install an AMD cpu on an Intel board or vice versa, most the busses used have changed also (it's what you put your cards into) this is something to take note of especially if you go for a smaller motherboard as it will have mostly the newer slots but some of the full size boards will have a mix of older and new

Yeah IDE is much a thing of the past now

Memory has also changed a bit over years

You could possibly upgrade the olde machine but it may not be by todays standards if the motherboard is an older one and you will be limited to what you can expand on.

On the info you have provided I don't have a clue as to what you could or could not do with the olde PC, but re housing it in a new case will not do anything for it at all, might as well just use what it is already in

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]

Thanks

I no.... it also depends how much he parts cost also for exemple a high end graphic card around 300 to 400 dollars alone i did find a geforce 9800 series for around 175 dollars some of the games i want to play need better graphic card than that by the way i have a small question do the have a expiration date on it ????

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

I'm going to guess at no if you are talking about the graphics cards

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]

Thanks

Sorry let me rephrase my question do the computer parts have a expiration date on it ???? I am very sorry for this silly because i planning to get a few parts at a time and store them some place safe until i get the other parts i need, because i am on a buget but my father suggest that i get all parts at the same time witch i can not do .

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by adam4landry View Post
    Sorry let me rephrase my question do the computer parts have a expiration date on it ???? I am very sorry for this silly because i planning to get a few parts at a time and store them some place safe until i get the other parts i need, because i am on a buget but my father suggest that i get all parts at the same time witch i can not do .
    Not really - things just get outdated.

You really need to start listing what parts you have (specifically) so you can get better help for what you can keep etc. Look up the model numbers online if you can and then post. This has gone on for 3 pages already.

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Save your pocket money

The only thing that may runs out is though is warranty and guarantee's the parts themselves have no expiation dates though

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]