Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DSTT - Where to begin...?

Thanks

Default DSTT - Where to begin...?

Hi Guys,

First time poster but a big fan of the site.

A friend recently gave me his DSTT (Having sold his DS). Now I know there are better cards out there, but free is free and I was wondering how easy it will be to run the DS Roms here on your site.

I know some of them like the Pokemon games require some AP Patches. Is that the sort of thing I drop within the folders or does it require some other witchcraft?

Thanks in advance for the help.

Roth

Thanks
    Thanked 13,309 Times in 1,165 Posts
    EP Points

Patches are typically directly applied to the rom. They'll always come with documentation explaining how to apply them, as every patch out there has been made by different people and can have different application methods.

But don't worry about patches till you bump into a game you can't play. The DSTT can play a vast amount of games with no issues. Just dig up the most recent firmware you can find and try stuff out.
    *PSA* Wii Redump collector's can now unscrub ISO files. So scrubbed games can now be verified. You can find the program to do this here

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Ragnar For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Cheers matey.

Shooting Sonic Booms and Flash Kicking Scrubs into submission
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,774 Times in 750 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

To make your life much easier use this tool to easily check and auto patch the scene roms you find scattered all over,

Download Links:
    Links are hidden from guests. Please register to be able to view these links.
    THE BEST METHOD to run PSX games (and everything else for that matter) is via Retroarch - http://buildbot.libretro.com/nightly/
    If you have any questions on how to set it up on Windows please feel free to ask, its very easy.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Warrior For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Cheers, I've already fallen foul of Pokemon Black/White. I presume other games won't be as obviously unplayable.

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

There are a lot like the Pokemon games that let you play it kind of but limit it so you can't really play

Pokemon just does not let time progress and your pokemon do not gain exp (at least the last pokemon game I looked at on an older kit)

Another example is the M Jackson Music game for the DS that lets you play it just fine but the Music has sound over the top so it's not really playable unless you fix patch it

Some may not be as obvious while others will just not fully load

What Gobby hooked you up with though is great for lower end flash kits including the DSTT kit, it even has a cheats database downloader to keep you up to date with the cheats engine as well as the AP patching

I use a more advanced kit that does not require the roms to be patched, most of the kits I have had did not require patches except for the really very old ones now (was going to say more up to date but there are newer kits but just not as good)

As you do have a DS or DS Lite though I do recommend getting a 3 in 1 GBA Slot 2 device, they tend to be very cheap (used to be anyway not looked for those in a long time) and will allow you to play GBA games from a DS Slot 1 flash kit, 3rd party software is needed to load the GBA roms via Slot 1 as I don't think the firmware for the DSTT has that build in, if it does though it should be on the main menu for the flash kit, if not then yup the 3rd party software is required

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Zorlon For This Useful Post:

Shooting Sonic Booms and Flash Kicking Scrubs into submission
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,774 Times in 750 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Roth Arkon View Post
    Cheers, I've already fallen foul of Pokemon Black/White. I presume other games won't be as obviously unplayable.
    with the DS Tool you can just drag & drop the rom onto the window and see if it has AP or not and then patch it, really simple
    THE BEST METHOD to run PSX games (and everything else for that matter) is via Retroarch - http://buildbot.libretro.com/nightly/
    If you have any questions on how to set it up on Windows please feel free to ask, its very easy.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Warrior For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Thanks everyone. I picked up a Micro SD on the way into work this morning. Going to get started tonight and I'm sure you'll hear from me if I have any problems.

Thanks
    EP Points

I'm not sure if it will work in yours but take a look at RetroGameFan Updates/Releases on google

I always used this and never had to patch or do anything as far as I can remember so it's perfect!
    Last edited by Bruno; 4th-June-2014 at 07:59.
    "Truly, if there is evil in this world, it lies within
    the heart of mankind." - Edward D. Morrison (Tales of Phantasia)

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Bruno View Post
    I'm not sure if it will work in yours but take a look at RetroGameFan Updates/Releases on google

I always used this and never had to patch or do anything as far as I can remember so it's perfect!
    Depends on the flash kit I only use pure dumps i.e. never been patched and I don't need to patch a thing but that is more the flash kits I use rather than the roms, I use kits like the acekard2i and Supercard DSTWO and both have AP work arounds built into those

cheap cards like the R4 clones including DSTT require either pre patched roms or patching of roms for the games that use AP

I kind of guess that RetroGameFan is just pre patched though

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Zorlon View Post
    cheap cards like the R4 clones including DSTT require either pre patched roms or patching of roms for the games that use AP

I kind of guess that RetroGameFan is just pre patched though
    Even the DSTT can bypass a lot of AP. Back when my DSTT was my primary card I never needed to use a single patched rom. But I wasn't playing games as they were released, the DSTT passed AP with title specific firmware updates. Obviously support is long gone, and even with support there was AP the DSTT couldn't handle. But I just looked at that RetroGameFan update, and it looks like current fan built firmware. It says right at the top that it supports "All 6343 current scene releases", so umm yeah.
    *PSA* Wii Redump collector's can now unscrub ISO files. So scrubbed games can now be verified. You can find the program to do this here

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Ragnar View Post
    Even the DSTT can bypass a lot of AP. Back when my DSTT was my primary card I never needed to use a single patched rom. But I wasn't playing games as they were released, the DSTT passed AP with title specific firmware updates. Obviously support is long gone, and even with support there was AP the DSTT couldn't handle. But I just looked at that RetroGameFan update, and it looks like current fan built firmware. It says right at the top that it supports "All 6343 current scene releases", so umm yeah.
    Even better actually now that you mentioned it yeah I remember this project now (might be thinking of another one though, it's not something I look into much)

Wood and this team have done wonders over the years especially for the older kits and lazy kits that take advantage also from the off start, seems to be very few that have there own updated software now.

Most the kits I have used have or have had there own software, though that does include the original R4 (that at the time worked with everything) so part just updating kits over the years, the oldest kit I use now is a M3 Real kit (with GBA card thing) now, kept in the DS Lite, newest being the Supercard DSTWO used in the 3DSXL both very well featured.

Not so sure any new DS content is there anymore, retail game wise anyway, can't say I have double checked that, possibly need to update my set :/ that's 6490 just in retail games so that is just about everything can't see there being much missing from that
    Last edited by Zorlon; 4th-June-2014 at 16:07.

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]

Thanks

Thanks for help guys and gals.

Just to check...

I have everything working and the Scene ROM tool has been a big help.

But I'm struggling with one title. It says its for the DSi and I obviously only have a DS Lite.
    I keep getting error code 4. Any ideas?

Cheers
    Roth

Thanks
    EP Points

I think you should give RetroGameFan a try cause it's real easy (just copy the right files in the SD) and I never had to apply any AP patch after some updates made long long ago. This saved my fake R4 in a time I wanted to throw it in the wall and just buy another one The games runs perfectly!
    "Truly, if there is evil in this world, it lies within
    the heart of mankind." - Edward D. Morrison (Tales of Phantasia)

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Roth Arkon View Post
    But I'm struggling with one title. It says its for the DSi and I obviously only have a DS Lite.
    I keep getting error code 4. Any ideas?
    DSi specific games don't run on anything, not even a 3DS. They haven't been cracked