Thread: ePSXe 4 Player Netplay Setup

Thanks

Default ePSXe 4 Player Netplay Setup

Hey guys. After multiple attempts to play Crash Bash and Crash Team Racing with 3 more of my friends, I have totally run out of ideas. I can find lots of tutorials to get 2 player games going, but nothing for 4 players. I would really really REEEALLLYYY appreciate some help to setup Netplay for 4 player games. If you click here, you can see how me and my friends have setup our ePSXe emulators. Hopefully from seeing that, you can see anywhere that I may have gone wrong, or what I need to do to change in order to get 4 players Netplay working.

Seriously, I would appreciate ANY help with this because it is driving me nuts! Thank you very much in advance
    Last edited by Draykez; 19th-May-2014 at 20:51.

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

you possibly need to have the cyberpad plugin files, never bothered myself as a lot of multi player games I would want to play can't work with this due to randomized events, area's or possibly racers and cyberpad only sees pad presses not game events

Diablo is one such game that springs to mind that radomly generates the dungeons as well as the events and quests that are in the game

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Zorlon View Post
    you possibly need to have the cyberpad plugin files, never bothered myself as a lot of multi player games I would want to play can't work with this due to randomized events, area's or possibly racers and cyberpad only sees pad presses not game events

Diablo is one such game that springs to mind that radomly generates the dungeons as well as the events and quests that are in the game
    Isn't there anyway to broadcast the other screen? (like using skype?) :\

ある朝、気がついたんだ
    僕はこの世界が嫌いなんだって

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by gezegond View Post
    Isn't there anyway to broadcast the other screen? (like using skype?) :\
    no, the only thing for games such as diablo is to start a game on your own as two player create a save state or normal save then share the same save/save state to make them the same. is the only way I can think of to get round those games, Diablo that is perfect for as the randomness is pre defined as far as I know rather than during play

to elaborate sharing a video feed from one emulator does not change what is happening in the other emulator on the other side or vice versa, plus adds greater strain to the network connection/reading that could cause lags/unresponsive controls, that both uploads and downloads info at the same time, it's not a great deal of info swapping but it is too easy to go out of sync

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks

Thanks for replying I have visited the Cyberpad website and downloaded their Cyberpad 1.4 client with Kaillera 0.9 (both latest versions from what I know). All four of us have. The problem is we can't seem to get the controllers synched up properly. For example, on my screen I can only see my own inputs, Player 2 might be able to see theirs and my inputs but nobody else's and probably a similar story for P3 and P4 too.

Perhaps I'm using the wrong Kaillera client, maybe I'm not setting up a multiplayer lobby correctly, maybe our controller setups arent configured correctly for use with multitap etc. It could be many things, I'm just not sure how to configure all of it correctly for 4-Player Netplay.

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Make sure you all have the multitap setup correctly

depending on the game depends on the Slot that the multitap is plugged into

might be an idea for one of you to test what slot works for the multitap or download the manual for that game if you can find it

I have seen plenty of setups and actually own a Multitap for the Playstation, some games will use slot 1 for P1 only and slot 2 for a multitap with players 2 and up over on that, a few games will only use slot 1 with a multitap and does not use slot 2 at all and then there are the games that slot 2 for a player 2 but 3 and 4 on slot 1's multitap and the few that use both ports either for up to 8 players or just optional between slot 1 or 2 P1 is always on slot 1 though regardless of the multitap or not, that is very much game dependent there is no single rule that works with all games that can use a multitap
    Last edited by Zorlon; 19th-May-2014 at 16:00.

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]

Thanks

might be an idea for one of you to test what slot works for the multitap or download the manual for that game if you can find it

I have seen plenty of setups and actually own a Multitap for the Playstation, some games will use slot 1 for P1 only and slot 2 for a multitap with players 2 and up over on that, a few games will only use slot 1 with a multitap and does not use slot 2 at all and then there are the games that slot 2 for a player 2 but 3 and 4 on slot 1's multitap and the few that use both ports either for up to 8 players or just optional between slot 1 or 2 P1 is always on slot 1 though regardless of the multitap or not, that is very much game dependent there is no single rule that works with all games that can use a multitap
    Oh wow, I did not know that. That actually makes a lot of sense in relation to the problems we've been running into. I'm gonna try this when I get home. I'll look up the manuals, see how the manual says to setup the multitap and then try to recreate that setup in ePSXe with everyone.

If I can't find the manuals, Ill try the setups you mentioned above. I'll report on my findings too, thanks for that!
    Last edited by Draykez; 19th-May-2014 at 20:27.

Thanks

Hi again, unfortunately no such luck. We tried to play Crash Bash but it didn't work. I looked at the manual and it said 'Insert a PlayStation Multitap into Controller port 1 of your Playstation game console. Insert up to four controllers into the Multitap for an all out bandicoot showdown'. We all setup our controllers to Port 1 and all enabled Multitap on Port 1 too, but the same thing as what I said before happened. On my screen, I could only see my own inputs, Player 2 could see theirs and my inputs but nobody else's and a similar story goes for P3 and P4 too.

Dammit this is annoying, I just wish there was a multitap setup guide for this game so I could at least double check that I was doing everything right rather than the stuff just plain not working. Any more thoughts? :c

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Not really have you looked at any readme files that came with Cyberpad, it is possible that it just does not support the multitap, like I said I never bothered with it myself

It does seem odd though that you can't see anyone but player 2 to 4 can see you controlling P1 though I may of miss read that not sure if you meant P1, P3 & P4 can only see there own actions in game and P2 can see P1 & P2 but not P3 or P4

From the instructions though all you do is disable port 2 totally, enable the multitap on port 1 and configs Port 1/Pad 1 the same goes for everyone, you needn't config the other pads

It's different if you have the Multitap on Port 2 though so the above is just for the multitap on Port 1

Game Pad setup MUST be the same for all players. If anybody’s game pad setup differs in any way

(ie. Playstation buttons assigned to different gamepad button), it will cause a desync during online multiplayer and will not work.

If you are using different controllers or if some are using keyboard then best way to solve that is via joy2keys or another prog that lets you assign key board presses to joypad presses

You just need to all have the exact same config including key layout for the joypads
    Last edited by Zorlon; 20th-May-2014 at 08:13.

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]

Thanks
    EP Points

a bit offtopic, tell me if I have to move this discussion to another thread/private massage:

to elaborate sharing a video feed from one emulator does not change what is happening in the other emulator on the other side or vice versa, plus adds greater strain to the network connection/reading that could cause lags/unresponsive controls, that both uploads and downloads info at the same time, it's not a great deal of info swapping but it is too easy to go out of sync
    I mean, the way you explained it, I had the impression that cyberpad just sends the gamepad signals. If that is so, maybe you could just play the game on P1's emulator and share the output screen via skype, and not care about what's happening on P2's emu? (sorta like onlive?) P2 could be a running an entirely different game and it would still work in that sense.

ある朝、気がついたんだ
    僕はこの世界が嫌いなんだって

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

easier to share a save and works better plus Cyberpad goes out of sync far too easy

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]

Thanks

Hi again. After looking further into Cyberpad, I have discovered that it only supports 2 players. So I downloaded an alternative called PS4NET. We all setup on Port 1 > Pad 1, enabled multitap and disabled Port 2. P1 could only see their movements, P2 could see my movement only and P3 was controlling themselves and P2. The only thing I can think of is that P2 may have had a slightly different controller setup and was causing a desync? I'll look into this further soon and let you know.

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

I do find that strange for Cyberpad as the instructions you found had been very specific for 3 players and more

Though that would not be the first big blooper I have seen in info shared online

PS4NET may use a different setup to what Cyberpad does so it is worth looking at any documentation that comes with it or any web site info.

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]