Thread: DOSBOX issue playing Z: The Game

Thanks

Exclamation DOSBOX issue playing Z: The Game

Hello,

I downloaded Z by bitmap brothers from EMUPARADISE here:

http://www.emuparadise.me/Abandonwar...rothers)/95737

and everything went ok until I tried to start the z.bat through DOSBOX and it begins to load until it says "Critical File Missing: mane.lbm, Please Ensure CD is in Drive, and door is closed".

I would assume the point of the downloaded file was to not worry about stuff like this.

Anybody have an idea to get it working?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,577 Times in 1,219 Posts
    EP Points

Thanks

Thumbs down

Thanks for that BUT,

I downloaded the game as is from the link provided. I can't tell if those solutions were suppose to make sure the error doesn't occur, but those messages looked like it was for people whom have the CD which I don't coz I cant find it and that why I found the game in a ZIP from this place.

So,

A) the file is a real file not with the download and Ill need that file somehow.
    B) DOSBox has settings that will remove the variable and I am not doing it.

I followed many things but nothing works. So its leaning to an actual file but I can't be 100% or Im not doing it right.

I load DOSBox and mount as follows:

mount c C:\Z\ZDosVe~1\Z --where I unzipped the files too.

mount d \ -t cdrom -usecd 0 -ioctl

Z:\ C:

C:\z

then it starts to load then I get an error about missing the Mane.lbm

thanks guys

Thanks
    Thanked 2,577 Times in 1,219 Posts
    EP Points

If you get the error message "'mane.lbm' is missing, please insert CD", Download and install DOSBox 0.65 or DOSBox 0.62 instead of using DOSBox 0.63
    Have a read of this, maybe it might be of some help (but it's info on how to get the cdrom working):
    Download Links:
    Links are hidden from guests. Please register to be able to view these links.

Spoiler warning:

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

The 95 version works just fine, as you say the 96 version always states that file is missing and I double checked and indeed that file is just not included anyone one know if there is a real difference between the versions

I do believe they are the same game, though I wouldn't know if there was any sort of improvements put in place or anything asides from maybe one came on floppy and the other on CD, there is under 2 MB difference between data sizes that could be nothing really.

533 Files, 39 Folders (20.6 MB) for the 95 version

571 Files, 42 Folders (22.1 MB) for the 96 version

1_lev that just seems to have duplicated files in it, but when look at the crc value these are the same as the 95 version, so they are just the levels revised but for some reason kept, but the main folder has these also and they do have a new crc values but that is just for 2 levels (04 and 40 to be exact) you might be able to get away with importing those newer updated levels into the 95 version

1_lev has two sub folders that make 3 extra folders and 5 files in each totaling to 10 files, that is another 28 to find

Audio folder contents differ
    95 = 286
    96 = 302 (The extra files are *.wav versions of some of the *.raw audio files otherwise the files are an exact match) +16 files leaving another 12 to find

Highscore folder contents differ by crc but that one shouldn't make any sort of impact though, it's a single file that is for keeping your scores as simple as that just they may have basic scores already set that differ no big deal there

Stats differ also

95 = 1
    96 = 4 (basic text files with past game play stats, 96 version just has more recorded) 9 files left to find

The root folder is much the same again but...

95 = 65
    96 = 74 that is all the files accounted for, from what I can tell that's just a txt file and few extra driver files rather than any actual game data

Over all I don't think there is going to be any sort of vast change between the versions, levels 04 and 40 may of had bug fixes though, not 100% sure about sound but that was certainly not all sounds just 16 sounds in wav format of the 210 RAW original sound files that are in both versions as the wav files are duplicated at least in file name (not listened to them as I wouldn't know how to) there are other file types in the Audio folder but those seem to match up with both versions

EDIT:-

Never mind as soon as I went to start a game it just reports a different file missing... let me just try one last thing

EDIT: got it working (95 version that is can't be bothered to mess on now, I think it was messing up because I changed an option rather than just starting a new game but if that reports missing levelXX.XXX file then what I done was create a zip file of all the sub folders then extracted all the files to the main folder without keeping the paths then sudenly my copy atleast seen all the files)
    Last edited by Zorlon; 28th-April-2014 at 12:51.

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR