Thread: Need help with epsxe 1.9

Thanks

Default Need help with epsxe 1.9

So I've got the emulator working, and have a couple of games. The problem is that they run very glitchly( slow, movements pause and skip, and the sound repeats itself like an echo). I thought i might have been doing something wrong with the game files because I am still confused if all you need to run the games under epsxe is the image file, or do I need to do something with the ccd,cue,and sub files as well( put them all together somehow). I would be more than happy to burn them to disc if that is what it will take. The reason I'm posting now is because just for kicks, I popped in an official PSone game( Star Ocean-The Second Story) and clicked run CDROM in epsxe to see if because it is official it might run smoothly. To my suprise it did not, it ran just as glitchy as the image files I have been running and thinking I was doing something wrong. I have what most say are the best plugins, I believe the are from Pete. Anybody have any ideas? Do I just need to configure them differently or is the problem something else all together? Thanks in advance

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

send me your comp specs first or try this:
    http://www.4shared.com/rar/VXlC9F25ba/Playstation.html

Thanks
    Thanked 1,180 Times in 550 Posts
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Slaughterhouse87 View Post
    So I've got the emulator working, and have a couple of games. The problem is that they run very glitchly( slow, movements pause and skip, and the sound repeats itself like an echo). I thought i might have been doing something wrong with the game files because I am still confused if all you need to run the games under epsxe is the image file, or do I need to do something with the ccd,cue,and sub files as well( put them all together somehow). I would be more than happy to burn them to disc if that is what it will take. The reason I'm posting now is because just for kicks, I popped in an official PSone game( Star Ocean-The Second Story) and clicked run CDROM in epsxe to see if because it is official it might run smoothly. To my suprise it did not, it ran just as glitchy as the image files I have been running and thinking I was doing something wrong. I have what most say are the best plugins, I believe the are from Pete. Anybody have any ideas? Do I just need to configure them differently or is the problem something else all together? Thanks in advance
    The plugins are good or not depending on the game you are trying to run and your computer specs. Burning the games won't make any difference.

Read this thread and post again:
    http://www.epforums.org/showthread.p...sking-for-help!
    Make sure you state what games have you tried to play.

Quote Originally Posted by Terry_Bogard View Post
    And that is...?

Thanks

Default comp specs

Quote Originally Posted by Terry_Bogard View Post
    Thanks for the replies, it is an ASUS Q55OLF, it is a new gaming laptop(low end gaming laptop, but I would think that it should not have any problem handling this type of stuff). I'll leave a link for the specs on BestBuy.com

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/15-6-tou...rive/8937158.p

If you dont feel like checking out the link, it is Intel i7, 8gb ram, NVIDIA GEFORCE 745, and Windows 8 ( I believe it is 8.1 )
    Last edited by Slaughterhouse87; 28th-March-2014 at 04:02.

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

http://psxdatacenter.com/ is worth checking out it has recommended settings for just about every game

when you use high end 3d graphics plugins there is no one setting that will work with everything some games will need tweaking up a bit to get working

e.g.

Graphics Plugin Pete's OpenGL Driver v2.9 ( internal X & Internal Y= Very High, Stretching mode: Stretch to full window size, render Mode: 2 (Use framebuffer object) text filt = 2 FPS limit= 63, Compatibility=2,3,2; Shader effects= 1 (Fullscreen smoothin))
    Audio Plugin ePSXe SPU Core
    CD-ROM Plugin Sapu Cdrom plugin v.1.3
    Last edited by Zorlon; 28th-March-2014 at 08:05.

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Zorlon For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Zorlon View Post
    http://psxdatacenter.com/ is worth checking out it has recommended settings for just about every game

when you use high end 3d graphics plugins there is no one setting that will work with everything some games will need tweaking up a bit to get working

e.g.

Graphics Plugin Pete's OpenGL Driver v2.9 ( internal X & Internal Y= Very High, Stretching mode: Stretch to full window size, render Mode: 2 (Use framebuffer object) text filt = 2 FPS limit= 63, Compatibility=2,3,2; Shader effects= 1 (Fullscreen smoothin))
    Audio Plugin ePSXe SPU Core
    CD-ROM Plugin Sapu Cdrom plugin v.1.3
    Thank you, that was very helpful. Seems to have cleaned things up with Star Ocean and also seems to have helped a few issues I was having with FFVII, I had pete's openGL 1.78, so I updated that. I am already running the ePSXe SPU Core 1.9 so I guess I will just have to mess with it and configure it differently and hopefully that will cut out the echo. I was also using one of the two Cdrom plugins that came with epsxe 1.9 but I don't think it specified which one is best for my system so I will have to find a download and check out the one you recommended. The website you pointed me to also seems like it will be extremely useful in finding the right configurations for games, so thanks again.
    Last edited by Slaughterhouse87; 28th-March-2014 at 08:53.

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

FFVII I think may need a special fix enabled (I might be getting that mixed up though, just look in the special fixes for the Graphics plugin, it lables the special fixes well enough for you to know if FFVII needs one or not)

The CD plugin is not per system but per game for compat

I'm sure gladiator (psx datacenter) also has plugins on that site also under downloads, so finding that should be easy
    Last edited by Zorlon; 28th-March-2014 at 12:05.

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks

Oh,good to know. I was hoping to find somewhere to download a bundle of plugins so I have all that I might need. Ill check the download section of psx datacenter and see what they have. Thanks again

P.S- Am I correct in assuming that my new laptop (even though not the greatest gaming laptop/ASUS Q55OLF-specs above) should not have any problems running these games well with the right configuration?

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Correct

If all else fails then software mode is the most compatible mode but does not look as nice, but if the game is a 2D game then software is the best option anyway even for visual effects

HQ Filters/Renders are the best for Software plugins for 2D games

ePSXe is not the best emulator out there though, there is another one the is more about accurate emulation than just getting the games playable and improving the visuals

Xebra is a great PSX emu but it lacks any visual boosts that are offered by ePSXe

Some PSX games also have copy protection in them that can prevent those games from running ePSXe has work around for most of those but not all either built in or via PPF or SBI files PPF = Playstation Patch Format and SBI = Sub Data files (some of the copy protection was done via Sub data that can't be burned onto a CD-R, though you can back that data up using drives that can read that, most can't or couldn't at the time)

FFVII the EU version aka (E) version has copy protection the US (U) version does not though

P.S. Pete has also done a front end for ePSXe that lets you set a few options that you normally can't do plus it lets you save settings per game

There is also a hacked up version of ePSXe 1.8.0 that to me works better than 1.9.0 that lets you use any SPU plugin with CDDA tracks working but as of ePSXe 1.7.0 to 1.9.0 the team disabled the use of any other SPU plugin with CDDA track sound, so games with CDDA would only work correctly if at all with the internal SPU plugin

see http://www.epforums.org/showthread.php?88659 for more info on the modded version of ePSXe 1.8.0

Hint I keep avery version of ePSXe from 1.5.2 to 1.9.0 including the modded ePSXe 1.8.0 all in the same folder, the only main exe that can not be renamed is the modded version of 1.8.0 so all the rest I inserted the version number at the end of the file name e.g. ePSXe 1.9.0 was renamed from ePSXe.exe to ePSXe1.9.0.exe, soing this will let them all share settings (1.5.2 and 1.6.0 use a different setup area but those will also share with each other though) they can all share memcards and plugins (that is with all versions)

1.5.2 and 1.6.0 are more based for XP and under and do lack some featured that are implemented now, though I still think the team also messed us over on killing some of the older features, mostly the SPU plugin thing I mentioned.
    Last edited by Zorlon; 28th-March-2014 at 09:48.

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Zorlon For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Awesome! I'll have to check out some other Emulators and the different versions of epsxe. Not sure if you remember, but you replied to a different thread of mine not too long ago. It was just about me being a complete novice at this stuff and trying to figure out how to get ISO's to run in epsxe. You have been very helpful and I appreciate the time you have spent answering my questions. I am eager to learn and with help like this hopefully I won't have to ask questions too much longer, haha. Thanks again

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

No problem and nope but then again I do a lot of posting and find it hard to keep track of everything :/

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]