Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: I want to play PS2 ISO's on my PS2 Slim

Thanks
    EP Points

The amount of confusion coming from this stuff is insane, I'm so glad your there man to help me. How do I know if my flash drive is even working on the Ps2 anyways?
    Layin down enjoying the fun unleashing the power of the sun and capturing them all until I'm done.

Thanks
    EP Points

I use freeMCboot soft mod. No need for disk swapping or any other such stuff. If you don't have a method to install it, I believe someone who has the mod installed on their memory card can just copy it over to yours. Because I originally installed the mod on a fat PS2, and just put the memory card in my slim model, and it worked just fine.

A few things to note, is that you gotta patch ISOs with ESR patcher prior to burning them or they won't work. Also for Dual layer games (Like Rogue Galaxy, Wild Arms alter code: F), there is Toxic DL patcher, that you must use along with ESR patcher. And I believe you need to patch it with ESR first, and then patch it with Toxic. And then burn the game to a DVD-9.

I also forgot to add, that a few of the PS2 (CD) games, need to be converted to DVD to be playable with freeMCboot. There were only a couple games I had to do this with, and I believe it involves taking the files and repacking them as a larger file size. Use imgburn and pick "create image file from files and folders". I remember having to make a dummy file and included it in to make the file size larger than 1gb. Then you create an ISO image, and then patch it with ESR, then burn it to a DVD. You might also have to modify the tags attached to the image to let the program know its a DVD image.

Of course if you got a PC that can run PCSX2 at full speed, there is no longer a need to do this.
    Last edited by gamerdude211; 5th-March-2014 at 22:57.

Thanks
    EP Points

I hardly have issues using PCSX2 but since i'm not able to always be on my laptop as much as i'd like to be (its a shared computer) then you see the reason why I would like to know this stuff. I'll try everything I can before I throw in the towel and if I save enough money I'll just buy a memory card with the stuff on it.
    Layin down enjoying the fun unleashing the power of the sun and capturing them all until I'm done.

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by gamerdude211 View Post
    I use freeMCboot soft mod. No need for disk swapping or any other such stuff. If you don't have a method to install it, I believe someone who has the mod installed on their memory card can just copy it over to yours. Because I originally installed the mod on a fat PS2, and just put the memory card in my slim model, and it worked just fine.

A few things to note, is that you gotta patch ISOs with ESR patcher prior to burning them or they won't work. Also for Dual layer games (Like Rogue Galaxy, Wild Arms alter code: F), there is Toxic DL patcher, that you must use along with ESR patcher. And I believe you need to patch it with ESR first, and then patch it with Toxic. And then burn the game to a DVD-9.

I also forgot to add, that a few of the PS2 (CD) games, need to be converted to DVD to be playable with freeMCboot. There were only a couple games I had to do this with, and I believe it involves taking the files and repacking them as a larger file size. Use imgburn and pick "create image file from files and folders". I remember having to make a dummy file and included it in to make the file size larger than 1gb. Then you create an ISO image, and then patch it with ESR, then burn it to a DVD. You might also have to modify the tags attached to the image to let the program know its a DVD image.

Of course if you got a PC that can run PCSX2 at full speed, there is no longer a need to do this.
    You should really read the topic fully before posting

The OP's PS2 can not run ESR because it is the later version of the slim that Sony blocked code from being booted from MC, with that version of the PS2

I would also never say PCSX2 is a complete replacement there are still games that do not work with it

Quote Originally Posted by Pokemongenius View Post
    The amount of confusion coming from this stuff is insane, I'm so glad your there man to help me. How do I know if my flash drive is even working on the Ps2 anyways?
    You should know if uLaunch can see it, but that is not to say it will work with everything though for example Codebreaker is very picky as to what it will read
    Last edited by Zorlon; 6th-March-2014 at 10:34.

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks
    EP Points

I just wanna get everything answered before I go crazy tomorrow doing this stuff. I'd luv if i could just send my ps2 over to you XD.

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

lol that would make things simple specially as I have the equipment to do this the easy way

I will answer what I can though.

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks
    EP Points

You mentioned earlier of volunteers on this site that would do this stuff for users. Where would that be?

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

That's just for ESR/FreeMCBoot and you can't use those so that's not really an option for you even if it was done it would simply not work when you get your memcard back, plus you do pay for postage both ways still so it's not totally free anyway

To be honest the best option is to buy Swap Magic, it's not vastly expensive, it is when you have nothing I guess though.

Though the production of those discs stopped a while back they may be harder to get now and I guess may cost a bit more also

Or buy a 2nd hand copy of the game that can be used as a Swap Magic disc, Swap Magic itself can boot homebrew code directly from a USB device as well as used to boot DVD+/-R's so can be used with homebrew like OPL to load games from USB and Lan

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]

Thanks
    EP Points

Oh i see so if i had an older model i'd be ok to roll i guess. Well lets see what works come tomorrow who knows what will be in store for me. Also just randomly curious would you be one of those volunteers? I'd be satisfied knowing it was in your hands XD

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

I'm not no but I would be willing to but I do live in the UK so that may cost a bit postage wise for you to pull out depending on your location.

If your PS2 was an older model yes this would be so easy to do

If you go into depth on how you got uLaunch running I may be able to help you a bit more for running OPL

The easy way is via Swap Magic though, but other things can be used like some of the cheat discs

It's a bit tricky though with the newer slim PS2's because Sony blocked some of the methods that are commonly used with the older slims

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]

Thanks
    EP Points

I never got UlaunchElf working yet that's just the thing

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Pokemongenius View Post
    I never got UlaunchElf working yet that's just the thing
    Thought so :/

Do you have any cheat CD's or anything

I don't think you are going to get very to be honest you are missing things that are required and sending your memcard off to someone to mod for you is not an option either as your PS2 can't use any exploits that use code from a memcard.

freemcboot will not work period
    ESR uses freemcboot as part of the install process so again out of the question

OPL can work but you need a method to run elf files or uLaunch, both uLaunch and OPL are elf files though

http://bootleg.sksapps.com/tutorials/fmcb/swap.php has a basic guide for doing this using an original game and replacing an elf in a backup copy

To use those discs the PS2 must be tricked into thinking the lid is always closed so you can do the swap trick

What you then do is boot the original disc up and at the described point in the guide change the original disc for the backup, the disc will still be spinning so take care when you change discs

ulaunch lets you boot other elf files from USB devices including USB sticks

If you don't have any of those games though save what money you do get a buy a Swap Magic disc or set, if you get a set though you can boot DVD and CD backups with it as well as launch OPL directly from a USB stick to load games from USB or Network

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]

Thanks
    EP Points

I definitely don't have any of those games listed what I do have is: Persona 3 FES, Persona 4, FF12 US, FFX US, Hot Shots Golf 3 and Fore, THUG2 (it doesn't work though), Kingdom Hearts 2, Tekken 4 and 5, Sonic Riders Zero Gravity, Tales of the Abyss, Devil May Cry 1-3, and all them Resident Evil titles.

I can definitely do the swap trick (i've done it with Ps1 games) so that's not an issue. The only problem is knowing what ELF name I need for any of these games.

EDIT: I forgot Gran Turismo 3, Mortal Kombat Armageddon, Deception, and Shaolin Monks xP
    Last edited by Pokemongenius; 7th-March-2014 at 15:15.

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

How it works is some games use a second exec file (elf file for PS2 games) for things like bonus sections, the elf names are already on the discs as you just replace those

I'm not sure you can replace the main exec though that is always named SLES????? or SLUS????? depending on the games region

But not sure if you can do that, you would need to set the PS2 up not to auto boot, I don't remember if you can do that or not, start the PS2 up with the original in so it takes you to memcard menu and change the disc for the backup (with the elf file replacing the SLUS/SLUS file) and start the disc from there, but I can't see that working though.

P.S. the same method can be used to make your Swap Magic disc also but you are then limited to toc of the original disc so any games with the same toc size and under will run with a Swap Magic elf insert

I would do some testing with the ulaunch elf first though that you can always launch a Swap Maigic elf from USB with that, though this is not something I have tried myself, I have the discs if I even want to use Swap Magic
    Last edited by Zorlon; 7th-March-2014 at 16:51.

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]

Thanks
    EP Points

Mortal Kombat Armageddon I found has one of those ELF's that are listed in those other games like Jak X Combat Racing. The ELF was NTGUI and I saw it involved utilizing the games online mode. I'm gonna try that right now with MKA and see what happens.