Thread: Looking for Text Dumps?

Thanks

Default Looking for Text Dumps

Hey gang! New here, and my request is a fairly simple one: Does anyone have access to/know how to find text dumps for Mario games? Specifically I'm looking for full text dumps of Super Mario RPG and the Paper Mario series. I can find Zelda ones very easily, but no Mario ones strangely.

I figured this would be the best place out of any on the web I could think of to ask. Many thanks if you can oblige!
    Last edited by TheRewster; 14th-February-2014 at 23:11.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by TheRewster View Post
    Hey gang! New here, and my request is a fairly simple one: Does anyone have access to/know how to find text dumps for Mario games? Specifically I'm looking for full text dumps of Super Mario RPG and the Paper Mario series. I can find Zelda ones very easily, but no Mario ones strangely.

I figured this would be the best place out of any on the web I could think of to ask. Many thanks if you can oblige!
    You mean like a game script???

Here's one for Mario rpg for the snes on gamefaqs if that's what you mean?

http://www.gamefaqs.com/snes/588739-...ars/faqs/30431

Thanks

No, not a game script--that's something compiled and sifted by a fan/player.

I'm looking for a document with all the text used in the game (it's basically the raw data of the game's text), something like this:
    http://www.zeldalegends.net/files/em...p%28usa%29.txt
    Last edited by TheRewster; 14th-February-2014 at 21:48.

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

That is just a script without directions

i.e. all the text but no clues as to what triggers the text

Don't see what use that is to be honest, take a script and remove the directions from it, then you have what you want

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks

But a script only includes story-related stuff. I want something with everything (names, item lists and descriptions, incidental conversations, bestiary info, place names, etc.)--stuff you can't really get from a script.

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

I don't know of sites that would keep that sort of thing, unless they are translation notes that I can see a reason for creating this kind of info for.

If google can't find it then it is possible that no one has created the text files with that info in them.

Item lists should be hard to find but mini convo's ect I can't see being easy to find

Look at gamefaqs though and see what they have you might be able to put together most of the info you are wanting but it will take some time to do, but if it is something you really want it would be worth the effort
    Last edited by Zorlon; 15th-February-2014 at 00:11.

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by TheRewster View Post
    No, not a game script--that's something compiled and sifted by a fan/player.

I'm looking for a document with all the text used in the game (it's basically the raw data of the game's text), something like this:
    http://www.zeldalegends.net/files/em...p%28usa%29.txt
    Ok.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Zorlon View Post
    I don't know of sites that would keep that sort of thing, unless they are translation notes that I can see a reason for creating this kind of info for.

If google can't find it then it is possible that no one has created the text files with that info in them.

Item lists should be hard to find but mini convo's ect I can't see being easy to find

Look at gamefaqs though and see what they have you might be able to put together most of the info you are wanting but it will take some time to do, but if it is something you really want it would be worth the effort
    It's not on Google or GameFAQs (already looked). I just thought some of you emulation/ROM hacking experts would know right off how to dump game text, but I guess I'm asking something much harder than I thought.

I've never dealt with a ROM before or done any sort of hacking whatsoever, otherwise I would've tried it myself, but I wouldn't even know where/how to begin.

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Not even sure you read my post at all

Quote Originally Posted by me
    http://www.gamefaqs.com/snes/588739-...ars/faqs/11874 lists of item spells monster ect ect, the script that was already posted, that should if it is complete have all the conversations included

Most game guides will have place names

No there is no way to just dump all text from a game, it's not as easy as that, most games don't even store text in a plain way it's often coded so is not readable outside of the game itself, not checked though for Super Mario RPG, if that is just plain text then open the rom with a powerful hex editor or word processor, (if you use a word processor be prepared to wait a while, while it loads it will show a bunch of garbage first before most of the text except for the small amount of text in the header) do not be shocked though if it shows no text at all or just basic menu type stuff

A hex editor is a better way but getting it to copy over text can be a pain, just copy by hand i.e. copy it by typing what is says in the display usually to the right of the hex code, myself if I do anything in hex it is to change something not copy text

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Zorlon View Post
    Not even sure you read my post at all
    Um, I absolutely read your post? Seriously, what is your basis for accusing me of responding without reading?--because that's very insulting to me. I take every response very seriously.

Like I said, I've consulted GameFAQs already, and things like the script, game list, and other things--while being valuable in their own way--are not quite exactly what I'm looking for. And I already conceded (in the post where you claim I didn't read yours) that this is turning out more complicated than I thought.

Anyway, thank for your input on the hex editor stuff. I've never used one before, but I suppose learning how to do that goes beyond the parameters of this thread. Maybe another time.

So has this post shown sufficient evidence that I have read your posts and taken them seriously enough?

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Hex alone will probably not be enough the next step is to disassemble the file taking it back to raw code, but that is way beyond this thread and beyond my skills, not hard as I don't program well not any language that is used for SNES games (I used to do Basic lol), to disassemble, a Dev kit could do that I would imagine possibly Dev kit software on a regular PC also, no idea if there is such a thing as SNES Dev software available to the pubic that could do this though, I can't see it as most translation groups end up creating there own private software to do things like this and there software is designed per game rather than generalized software

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]