Thread: Video signals (tech help please!)

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Default Video signals (tech help please!)

Sup guys, long time no see!
    I hope you're all doing well.

I just wanted to tell you a story and ask you for some help.
    I bought into the craze of the RGB signal. I bought a 25+ year old TV - actually pretty cool, 29", looks good and, most important, features a SCART port.

So far so good, right?
    That's what I had thought...
    When I used one of the SCART-3 RCA jacks adapters, I found out the fat **** doesn't accept NTSC.
    Awesome!

So I got an NTSC to PAL digital converter. Plugged it in, got color for about 45 seconds, turned my Wii off, and bam, the "VHS color bar" loses all color in a flash. Couldn't get it to ever display color again no matter what buttons did I press or what console did I plug, so I gave it back.
    I am really confused. I have no idea why it worked like it had to only the first time around.

Even setting the converter aside, there's something worse - I plugged in my Mega CD (PAL) with the SCART-3 RCA jacks adapter and got no color.
    I plugged in my (clone) Genesis 2 with it, and I got color (with the region switch set to PAL).
    I plug my SNES via SCART and I get color too, but the image is not centered - it is displaced to the left.

The back of the TV says it accepts PAL-N via RF and PAL-B and SECAM via SCART port.

Please shed me some light, o you tech saviors!
    Last edited by Zorlon; 13th-January-2014 at 18:41. Reason: language removed, this is a help section not free4all
    I am Mega Man, I'm blue and cyan - the creation of Dr Light (or Right, if you're from Japan)
    Also known as Rockman

My Mega Buster can cut the mustard, I'm a flustered amputee
    POW POW!
    Eight robot bosses in eight levels dishevel and revel in devilry,
    I'll steal their weaponry!

I am also known as the "Blue Bomber"
    I could shoot the legs off Jeffrey Dahmer
    Kill a robot fish, kill a robot frog,
    and then I ride off on my robot dog...

JOIN THE SHMUP MANIACS! Arcade & home console 2D shmups!

vThanks button, down herev

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

That's because 3xRCA to SCART is still in 3xRCA mode you need a real SCART to do this and all old PAL sets with SCART will work with SCART NTSC signals or PAL 60

The displacement is normal for those older sets :/

No idea why you would use a NTSC to PAL converter, just get a real RGB SCART for all your consoles if you want to use the old set

Myself I would only use an old set for light gun games, otherwise I use my Plasma TV, 3xRCA & SCART used for the older consoles Saturn PSone ect, Component 5xRCA used for Xbox (need a good component cable for my PS2 so temp on 3xRCA or SCART for now) Wii is via VGA and 360 and PS3 are via HDMI... almost forgot Dreamcast is via VGA also
    Last edited by Zorlon; 13th-January-2014 at 18:47.

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Zorlon View Post
    That's because 3xRCA to SCART is still in 3xRCA mode you need a real SCART to do this and all old PAL sets with SCART will work with SCART NTSC signals or PAL 60

The displacement is normal for those older sets :/

No idea why you would use a NTSC to PAL converter, just get a real RGB SCART for all your consoles if you want to use the old set

Myself I would only use an old set for light gun games, otherwise I use my Plasma TV, 3xRCA & SCART used for the older consoles Saturn PSone ect, Component 5xRCA used for Xbox (need a good component cable for my PS2 so temp on 3xRCA or SCART for now) Wii is via VGA and 360 and PS3 are via HDMI... almost forgot Dreamcast is via VGA also

Thanks Zorlon.
    I would, but the economical situation here where I live is an absolute mayhem and importing things is near, if not, impossible. I thought I could resort to some sort of converter until I could get the proper RGB wires. I also don't know what I'm going to do with my Wii and N64 as those don't output said signal. Dang it.

There's no kind of signal conversion that could help me? There's a variety of converters that are way more easily attainable than scart cables...
    I am Mega Man, I'm blue and cyan - the creation of Dr Light (or Right, if you're from Japan)
    Also known as Rockman

My Mega Buster can cut the mustard, I'm a flustered amputee
    POW POW!
    Eight robot bosses in eight levels dishevel and revel in devilry,
    I'll steal their weaponry!

I am also known as the "Blue Bomber"
    I could shoot the legs off Jeffrey Dahmer
    Kill a robot fish, kill a robot frog,
    and then I ride off on my robot dog...

JOIN THE SHMUP MANIACS! Arcade & home console 2D shmups!

vThanks button, down herev

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Signal converters are a bad idea they tend to be the same as patching to PAL and forcing the games to go out of sync and crash because they are not running at the correct speed, get those at your risk. That is why RGB Scart is the best option for PAL users that do not have NTSC signal TV sets

SNES, N64 & NGC all use the same cable, the Wii has it's own connection but a scart shouldn't be too hard to find online
    Last edited by Zorlon; 25th-January-2014 at 18:19.

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR