Thread: how to run a game in mameUI 64 bit?

Thanks
    EP Points

Default how to run a game in mameUI 64 bit?

Picked up the emulator not long ago and Wizard of Wor from the mame games section of the main site. After extracting the game to the roms section of the directory the emulator is in, the emulator still can't seem to detect that there are any games there at all. The extraction resulted in files labeled wow.x1 through wow.x7, not really sure whether that was what i was supposed to get after extraction or not.

EDIT
    Okay after creating a new directory and moving the rom to there, then pointing mameUI there, it seems to have finally detected it(took 5+min to scan the directory though oddly enough)

EDIT AGAIN
    Okay got the game started, it mentions something about sound emulation not being perfect, okay fine. I can move the joystick left and right to get it to move on to the games title screen, but from there all input is ignored, can't seem to actually start a game or whatnot. Thoughts as to whats going on here?
    Last edited by rmcin329; 10th-January-2014 at 03:52.

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

1. don't extract mame zip roms, just put the zip file in the roms folder (I suspect you created a sub folder in mame's roms folder named the same as what the zip was named that although works if you start collecting MAME roms you will find that will end up taking up far too much space)

2. check the config (tab while in-game), default 5 = insert coin and 1 = start

change your controls via the Tab options you can also set a default setup for all games though you will need to revise it for some games anyway due to the way some games work
    Last edited by Zorlon; 11th-January-2014 at 01:23.

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks
    EP Points

So far i have the games wizard of wor and dungeon magic downloaded for the emulator. I have both of them in this directory shown below

mameui64 is only recognizing wizard of wor when i load it up. I have tried having it rescan the directory and have set it to check for new games every time the emulator is started up. Not sure what the problem is.

EDIT
    heres another screen grab, this one showing what mameui is currently acknowledging to be in the games directory
    Dungeon magic was grabbed from here on the main website http://www.emuparadise.me/M.A.M.E._-...97100-download

Last edited by rmcin329; 11th-January-2014 at 23:20.

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

EDIT linked wrong rom

You need it's parent lightbr.zip

Light Bringer (Ver 2.1J 1994/02/18) ROM

It's the jap version of that game and Dungeon Magic uses some of the roms from it

P.S. if you try to run any game before you have the files for it, it will report back what you are missing, 90% of the time it will show 3 files it has looked in 1st and last 1 are the same name the 2nd name is usually the Parent rom name

P.S. if you like that game you should love the 2 CPS2 Dungeons and Dragons games
    Last edited by Zorlon; 11th-January-2014 at 23:32.

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks
    EP Points

okay downloading that did the trick, after forcing it to rescan the directory, game works fine now. However i have the box checked that says "scan for new games on start" and the game was not detected until after i forced a manual rescan of the directory(by selecting directories then just reselecting the same one that was already selected in the first place)

EDIT
    Also noticing a wavy line going down across the screen every so often(refresh probably) Any way to smooth that out, so its not visible?

EDIT AGAIN
    not quite sure what the other 2 games you mentioned are, mind elaborating? I managed to finish a playthrough of dungeon magic today, but had to continue about 20 times or so
    Last edited by rmcin329; 12th-January-2014 at 01:57.

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

First EDIT no idea what you are talking about

Second EDIT

Dungeons & Dragons: Shadow over Mystara
    Dungeons & Dragons: Tower of Doom

are both the games

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]

Thanks
    EP Points

okay, as to my first edit, i guess i described that poorly. There was a horizontal wavy line, traveling from top to bottom of the screen when it appeared (which was actually quite often) though i think was the emulator refreshing the screen or something. I managed to get rid of that problem by enabling "sync to monitor refresh". I'll look into those other games you mentioned, but it looks like for D&D Tower of Doom, i'd either need a translation patch for the arcade version, or i'd have to pick up a compilation containing the game on another system.
    Last edited by rmcin329; 12th-January-2014 at 20:28.

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

eh both games have US and EU English versions in fact the parent rom for both is the Euro versions that both have English in them

Dungeons & Dragons: Shadow over Mystara (Euro 960619)
    Dungeons & Dragons: Tower of Doom (Euro 940412)

It's only the Japan and Asian versions that are not in English
    Last edited by Zorlon; 12th-January-2014 at 20:29.

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]

Thanks
    EP Points

hmmn i was looking on gamefaqs for my info, they didn't mention tower of doom having any releases outside of Japan. But checking the main site, i see what you mean now. I'll take a look into trying to grab those in a bit, you said something about parent roms being EU? Guess I need both the EU and US roms to run the games?

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

console version did not as far as I know released for the Sega Saturn

GameFAQS info is not always correct there are a large number of mistakes there, try looking at the actual roms instead or even the full list of games in MameUI (All Games)

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]

Thanks
    EP Points

Okay i just finished grabbing these files http://www.emuparadise.me/M.A.M.E._-...60619%29/12365, http://www.emuparadise.me/M.A.M.E._-...60619%29/12364, http://www.emuparadise.me/M.A.M.E._-...40412%29/12375, and http://www.emuparadise.me/M.A.M.E._-...40125%29/12374. I dumped them all in with my other roms in the same folder, then had mameui re scan the directory for new games, it wound up not detecting anything from the above links. When i try to start the US version of Tower of doom 940125 i get the error qsound.bin not found. When I try to start the US version of Shadow over Mystara 960619 I again get the error qsound.bin not found.

EDIT
    tried installing free download manager then downloading them again, I wind up with the exact same problem as above.
    Last edited by rmcin329; 13th-January-2014 at 11:27.

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]

Thanks
    EP Points

okay i extracted the zip files of the games, then re-zipped them to include the qsound.bin file in them. I can now run the games, though the emulator says something about the games not being dumped correctly.

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

The not dumped correctly is fine, that just means it has never been dumped correctly... yet

You did not need to do what you done all you needed to do was copy the zip file for q-sound into the roms folder

Mame roms never need to be extracted especially shared roms like q-sound that is used with a lot of the Capcom System 2 games
    Last edited by Zorlon; 14th-January-2014 at 00:25.

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]