Thread: How do I run ISO with multiple Tracks (.bin files) in ePSXe?

Thanks

Default How do I run ISO with multiple Tracks (.bin files) in ePSXe?

I know this question has been probably asked to death, but for some reason I cannot find a clear answer to this issue, so please bear with me.

Here's my problem: I have iso files which come with multiple .bin files (Track 1, Track 2 and so on) and a .cue file. If I understand correctly I am supposed to mount the .cue file in Daemon Tools or equivalent and then run the .cue file itself in ePSXe, but if I try to do so I only get a black screen. The same happens if I try to run "Run CD ROM" even after setting it to the virtual drive. If I run the Track 1.bin file, the game starts normally, but as you can imagine, without music. Others, (like Tomb Raider 2) stop working after the menu screen. I should also mention that most single image games work perfectly for me.

What is the correct procedure for playing games with multiple Track files? I am running the emulator on Win XP SP3.

Thank you for your time.
    Last edited by Ghost81; 29th-December-2013 at 20:51.

Shooting Sonic Booms and Flash Kicking Scrubs into submission
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,774 Times in 750 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

if it is multiple bins its most likely a Redump image, simple mount the cue in deamon tools lite then use imgburn to create a new image from the mounted Split bin image and it will become a single bin and cue, hope that helps
    THE BEST METHOD to run PSX games (and everything else for that matter) is via Retroarch - http://buildbot.libretro.com/nightly/
    If you have any questions on how to set it up on Windows please feel free to ask, its very easy.

Thanks

Thanks for your reply. I did as you suggested and now instead of some 20 files I have only one big .bin and one .cue

Unfortunately the game still runs without music, no matter what I do Maybe there's some setting I need to tick?

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

open the original cue sheet in notepad , you shall see how the tracks are named and such in case they need adjustment .

give this emulator a try n see if there is still no music, pSXfin.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    THE BEST METHOD to run PSX games (and everything else for that matter) is via Retroarch - http://buildbot.libretro.com/nightly/
    If you have any questions on how to set it up on Windows please feel free to ask, its very easy.

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

http://www.epforums.org/showthread.php?57757

explains everything you need to get these working in ePSXe with CDDA sound

download links in that guide are at the top, just skip most of what is said there because you already done half of it and look at the ePSXe notes, then either just follow the notes and or download what you need.

I strongly recommend the shark enhanced mod for ePSXe 1.8.0, you will see why if you check the link out there, that just links to another thread that explains how to install & what it does, that also including the download.

I used tools in there that anyone can use, so may of gone a different way to some, but that is to cover more OS versions, as some of the software than can be used does not work for everyone.
    Last edited by Zorlon; 30th-December-2013 at 00:16.

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Zorlon View Post
    http://www.epforums.org/showthread.php?57757

explains everything you need to get these working in ePSXe with CDDA sound

download links in that guide are at the top, just skip most of what is said there because you already done half of it and look at the ePSXe notes, then either just follow the notes and or download what you need.

I strongly recommend the shark enhanced mod for ePSXe 1.8.0, you will see why if you check the link out there, that just links to another thread that explains how to install & what it does, that also including the download.

I used tools in there that anyone can use, so may of gone a different way to some, but that is to cover more OS versions, as some of the software than can be used does not work for everyone.
    Yes, I had come across your (excellent) superthread before. I would give that Shark a try, but as I see from the other thread, it is not compatible with ePSXe 1.9.0. Should I downgrade to 1.8.0? What features would change in the downgrade?

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

keep both versions if you want I have versions 1.5.2 to 1.9.0 as well as the shark enhanced version of 1.8.0 and normal 1.8.0, I sometimes have to go back to 1.6.0 for some of the copy protected games, patched via a cheat engine (Action Replay codes) that don't work in 1.7.0 and up over because they handle the protection differently and maybe 1.9.0 (Yet to have a need to though to be honest) mostly the shark version gets used

1.8.0 to 1.9.0 changes

The main changes are:
    Many fixes to the core and cdrom decoder (Fixed/improved 30+ games)
    More cheat code support
    Updated internal SPU plugin

Regards,
    ePSXe Team.
    core changes can be very good but can also break things as well
    cdrom decoder... not enough explained there for me to comment (though it may be part of the reason I have had to go back to 1.6.0 for a few games)
    cheat codes work in all versions via PEC
    SPU updates are all well and good if they are perfect but ePSXe is yet to perfect it even in 1.9.0

overall the shark modded version of ePSXe is currently the best version, but it is well worth keeping other versions as well

I explain briefly how to store many versions of ePSXe in the same folder in the shark thread.
    Last edited by Zorlon; 30th-December-2013 at 12:09.

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Zorlon View Post

1.8.0 to 1.9.0 changes
    Ah excellent. I'll give it a go as soon as I can. I guess the registry entries are shared between all versions (though I still don't get why they needed to store input configuration in the registry instead of just any .cfg file in the program folder).

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

setups are shared as well as plugins and the other support files

yeah it's stored in the reg

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]

Thanks

Partial success: I installed the x86 C++ runtime, unpacked ePSXe 1.8.0 and patched it with Shark. I attempted to run the Shipwreckers (Overboard) ISO I compacted with imgburn, as suggested by God of Battle and at last there was music, really choppy and horrible quality but it's definitely progress. The game also seemed to run at a lower frame rate than when music is missing in 1.9.0

I attempted to run other multitrack games and as usual running the .cue file wouldn't work, while running Track1.bin would, though these games still ran without music.

I guess my next questions are: do I repeat the same imgburn process for every multitrack game? How do I make the music less horrible? Any specific setting I should fiddle with?

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Yup, use the method I told you about to make the split bin images hassle free.

As for the bad music quality, I have no idea, could be the epsxe settings, could just be a bad image and not really redump.

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Just read my guide I run through an easier & quicker method than mounting then ripping, it's all done in a single program, open the cue then rip from that to a single bin + cue

As for sound quality try using a different sound plugin If the internal one is not enough (also works in 1.9.0 with CDDA sound) P.E.Op.S. or Eternal SPU are the ones of choice, try the Internal one first though.

Video: Pete's OpenGL Driver v2.9

Basic setting

FPS limit= 63 [NTSC] version Shipwreckers
    FPS limit= 53 [PAL] version Overboard
    Compatibility=2,3,2

Up to you for the rest

Software mode will run faster, depends on your hardware as to how well OpenGL will run
    Last edited by Zorlon; 31st-December-2013 at 13:20.

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]

Thanks

Will definitely go through your guide again and experiment some more, though at this rate I'd rather buy a modded PS1 off ebay or repair my old one. I think it's a lot less of a hassle than trying to get things working on emulators

Thanks to both of you, you've been incredibly helpful.