Thread: Silent Hills

Thanks

Hey guys, as I continue my rampage of devouring game after game I've missed in the past years like a merciless swarm of locusts, I've encountered an issue I'm sure you knowledgeable folks can help me out with.

I wanted to go back to Silent Hill, I've played 1 and 2, and a bit of 3. As I installed 4, the PC version, I was assaulted with horrible textures way below the level of SH3 or even SH2. Granted, I think SH3 has especially nice graphics, but I was expecting something at least on that same level with SH4. After a bit of googling, I found a widescreen fix, which will prolly come in quite handy.

Finally, my question: do you think I'll have a better gaming experience if I emulate SH4 with pcsx2, with all the bells and whistles, since apparently SH4 is a notoriously bad port?

Thanks in advance for any input, sorry for the long winded post, I just wanted to get backround out of the way

I notice the thread got moved, sorry if it didnt fit in game section, I saw the topic as more a game thing than strictly emu, but here I am, teleported to the Sony subforum.
    Last edited by Zorlon; 22nd-December-2013 at 18:37.

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Don't worry about it, everyone starts the forums unfamiliar to it but soon get used to it

P.S. double posting is also frowned upon, please use edit post on the lower right of your posts instead to add info ect, replying to other posts is fine though just not to your own posts.

Silent Hill 4 overall does have a different feel to it, still a good game though.

Silent Hill 4 for the Xbox is a better port but the PS2 version is also very very good to start with (very little to chose between the two)

Xbox is not emulated so for that version you can either buy the xbox version or have a modded console that can either be done via software or a mod chip, to be honest the only real advantage to a mod chip is very little over a software mod that easy to do for anyone both methods you can run games from HDD or DVD (HDD is more recommended though).

PS2 would depend on your machine to how well it would be emulated and the compatibility of the emulator itself with that game

There are extra PS2 Silent Hills also
    Silent Hill 2 Directors Cut (has extra game play as the female character from that game (Mary/Maria)) [This version was originally on the XBOX called Silent Hill 2: Restless Dreams]
    Silent Hill Origins, a port of the PSP game of the same name (A good addition)
    Silent Hill Shattered Memories, that is a port of a Wii game (A rather strange one to be honest and not for every Silent Hill fan, I found it fun but it did not have the same feel to it, overall a good addition but I wouldn't blame you if you could not get into that one)

Gillespie/Maison Story line games Order
    Silent Hill Origins [PSP to PS2 port] (It's best on the PS2 on real hardware anyway as the PSP has a low refresh rate screen (or did))
    Silent Hill [PSX]
    Silent Hill Shattered Memories [Wii to PS2 port] (re-tells the story of silent hill from a totally different point of view, but is in no way a re-make)
    Silent Hill 3 [PS2]

Silent Hill 2 and 4 are related but in an indirect way both originate on PS2 (XBOX had an extended version of 2 with the extra game content later released on PS2 under Directors Cut)
    Last edited by Zorlon; 22nd-December-2013 at 19:07.

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks

I'm playing through Origins now, I wiki'd all of the info, I'm the kind of anal person that needs to start from the beginning, unless it forces me back into the Master System II, then I'll just read the plot somewhere hehehe. Shattered Memories looks really interesting as well.

Yea I know xbox isnt emulated; I'm going to play SH4 either in PC version or with an emulated ps2 iso. My question is, which is better in your opinion since they say SH4 in PC was a shoddy port with bugs and such. So I guess I'm just looking for confirmation that playing SH4 on PCSX2 will be better than the PC version.

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Nowt wrong with the Master System R-Type, Golden Axe Warrior (not the normal Golden Axe game it's a Zleda clone only cooler) ok so I can't think of any other greats but there are some gems on there

Yep but I suspect the answer is yes, I would love to give you a 100% answer but as my laptop is not that good and I play on real hardware I can't give a 100% honest answer

Shattered Memories is very interesting kinda hard to get to grips with at first (was on the Wii anyway not played that on PS2) If you find it is not for you just move on to the next game you can always youtube it or something if there is a playthrough vid of it (not looked myself I just played it) or just play that after 3, for main game order I should not of put Shattered Memories in there to be honest, Time Line though it is about right as I am sure you know now if you have read a bit about it
    Last edited by Zorlon; 22nd-December-2013 at 20:50.

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Zorlon View Post
    Nowt wrong with the Master System R-Type, Golden Axe Warrior (not the normal Golden Axe game it's a Zleda clone only cooler) ok so I can't think of any other greats but there are some gems on there
    Alex Kid harhar. Oh, lost a rock paper scissors game with the final boss? No problem, reset the console and start again - from the beginning XD.

I think I'll go with your suggestion and play SH4 PCSX2.

BTW, I notice in origins, and probably in SH2 & 3 as well, that hardware mode has issues with flashlight use. Issue being black stripes over the screen making it unplayable. I've been playing software mode, not a big deal.

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

software mode is more compatible anyway even for PSX emulation, but does not look as nice as 3D hardware video modes (unless Hardware modes are causing issues then software is the only way)

Never liked Alex Kid Populous was another good one though but other ports are equally as good
    Last edited by Zorlon; 22nd-December-2013 at 21:14.

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]