Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Don't use that method.

The method I was talking about uses PSXlauncher that I mentioned before, it's a much safer method.

It should be well known by now specially for those that used a method like the one shown in the vid you posted that doing that will eventually break the spindle that holds the discs from the amount of PSX consoles that have ended up with broken CD grips on the spindle and motors that can't spin up properly.

1. you do not change discs while the drive still spins (unless you want to mess the drive up, forcing the motor to stop while you change discs will damage the motor eventually it will also mess the CD/DVD clip as well pulling a disc out while it is still trying to spin)
    2. you do this via the software PSXlauncher that is ran via FMCB
    3. If you want the option shown on the main screen just add PSXLauncher to the Configure OSDSYS options in FMCB

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFJvqe9UBhw a youtube for you though the creator of the vid obviously does not know that you can use FMCB to create a menu or even a short cut commend to run the extra software through it so he uses uLaunchElf that is really not needed for this

possibly not the best vid but couldn't be bothered looking at all the vids to find a good one
    Last edited by Zorlon; 3rd-December-2013 at 14:16.

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Zorlon For This Useful Post:

Thanks

So I download PSXlauncher and everything is running. Except all my games crash on the Playstation logo. Is that down to me burning the discs incorrectly?

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

How are you burning the discs?

What file are you burning form?

It is more like to be the CD-R than you burning unless you really are doing something wrong (It is best to use High grade discs often marked Grade A++ or High Grade, not only do these burn to well but they also tend to last a bit longer)

What format are the disc images in?

Have you tested PSXlauncher with the games you had pre burned, i.e. none retail discs?

I'm off to bed soon so can't see me being able to help you out tonight but answer the above and I will go from there in the morning.
    Last edited by Zorlon; 7th-December-2013 at 22:45.

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Zorlon For This Useful Post:

Thanks

I copied the guide you sent me exactly. Burnt the .bin file and x1 writing speed. The games I've played previously crash on the Playstation logo screen, the one I created myself recently stays on a black screen.

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

That's your first mistake, burning directly from a bin file, you need to burn from the cue file. (I do state that in my guides, depends on the game, but games that use CDDA will crash out if you burn then directly from a bin or img file because the CDDA tracks are burned correctly, note: APE files would need converting, but there is a ECM+APE guide up in this section that tell you how to convert all the files and build a disc image ready for burning)

It is odd that the older pre burned games don't boot up correctly though, as this method with PSXlauncher is no different from the method you had been using except that the disc will stop before you switch out the retail disc for the CD-R

Make sure the first disc in the drive is the original PSX disc, then start up PSXlauncher and follow the on screen prompts.
    Last edited by Zorlon; 7th-December-2013 at 22:53.

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Zorlon For This Useful Post:

Thanks

When you say "from the .cue file" does that mean it's the only one I burn to the disc?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=havn1naGaR4

I have it set up exactly like that except it doesn't load past the Playstation logo.

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Yes

What has Swap Magic got to do with anything? it can't boot PSX CD's

I'm off to bed now so will look at this tomorrow now when I get time.
    Last edited by Zorlon; 7th-December-2013 at 23:06.

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Zorlon For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Okay, thank you I appreciate your help.

He gave the option between Swap Magic and the trick with blocking the sensors.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sWLi47u0rwg

Used this method to install PSX Launcher on the PS2.

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

That looks more like it just use uLauchELF (I have that as uLaunch myself) to copy the file to the apps folder on the memcard

Add PSXLaunch to the FMCB menu

And launch it from there (Swap Magic is not needed in any way, and can't be used anyway)

Do what you had been doing anyway for the swap trick (without hot swapping)
    Instead of hot swapping the disc launch PSXlauncher that will stop the original PSX disc spinning
    then change it for your CD-R disc (then press X I think it is to launch the PSX CD-R)

Or

Boot the PS2 up with nothing in the drive
    then insert the Original PSX CD
    then run PSXLauncher
    then (the drive will stop)
    then insert the CD-R
    then press X

I'm going to test this again myself if you can't manage it, only problem for me is I don't like to block the censors as I use my console to play multi disc PS2 games via ESR that would not work with those blocked, I have been meaning to install a switch though at some point.
    Last edited by Zorlon; 8th-December-2013 at 11:36.

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Zorlon For This Useful Post:

Thanks

I think I've just messed up big time when I've blocked my sensors.....

I can boot the PS2 up with the flip tray open and the original PSX game runs fine.

However, if I boot the PS2 with nothing in the drive, the disc won't spin until I have removed the tissue in the sensor/switch closest to the power button and closed the lid. Same applies on the "browser" screen where you view the memory cards, which is weird. That's not normal right? Guess it's back to the drawing board for me...

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

keep the censors blocked at all times

Methods

Launch Free McBoot Configurator (If you did not set this item up on the menu you will have to get to it via uLaunch.elf)

Option 1

Configure OSDSYS options...
    Skip Disc Boot: ON

Make sure you save the option.. e.g Save CNF to MC0

Option 2

Configure E1 launch keys...
    Set PSXlauncher.efl to a control pad key e.g. R1 : mc0:/BOOT/PSXLAUNCHER.ELF

Make sure you save the option.. e.g Save CNF to MC0

Option 1 Prevents the system auto booting CD's and DVD, this boots to the Browser, that you can then back out of and load PSXlauncher from the hacked OSDSYS menu if you have added PSXlauncher to it

Option 2 While you boot the PS2 as soon as you see the Free McBoot logo hold the key you configured to PSXlauncher (that's R1 in my example) to load PSXlauncher before it boots the original PSX CD

Both options Let you have all the censors blocked and start the machine with the original PSX CD inserted without booting it.

Tested both, now to put my PS2 back together without the back censor block that I eventually plan to add a switch to, the front one is just taped

Option 1 is possibly the best of those as you are not going to forget what key to hold or anything it will just be on the OSDSYS menu along with all the other options and homebrew
    Last edited by Zorlon; 8th-December-2013 at 20:35.

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Zorlon For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Option 2 is what I've been doing so far and it crashes for me on the Playstation logo. The same happens with both options.

Could it be my model of PS2? SCHPH-70003

Or my version of Free McBoot? Version 1.8

Apologies for having you open up your PS2 dude.

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Neither is an issue my PS2 is a PAL 70003 FMCB is also 1.8

Does your old method still work (you can boot using method 1 so you needn't remove the censor blocks)

Asides from that I would try using another original disc as well in case that is the issue if the original disc is not perfect there can be a follow on effect for the CD-R as I found while testing myself, the original I was using was scratched and the game booted after was stutter in FMV but tested with another original in perfect condition the CD-R was read a lot more smoothly.

P.P.S. not all games can be played using this method or the method you had been using that is in essence the exact same method, but the drive stops to allow a clean swap instead of a hot swap.

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Zorlon For This Useful Post:

Thanks

I'm using the original Resident Evil with a black bottom to the disc (I'm not sure if that matters) all my other PSX games have the same coloring. I have two copies and I've tested both.

Tomb Raider Greatest Hits is what I'm trying to run. When I first downloaded and booted it (the way you told me not to) it ran up until the opening FMV then froze, so I'm not sure if I've done permanent damage. After that crash that way doesn't work nor options 1 or 2 with Tomb Raider or my other burnt game.

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

No idea it's an issue on your end only, the methods are not at fault here if the original method you had been using is also no longer working that may of caused problems with the drive in the first place, hot swapping was never a good idea.

The game itself will not of caused any issues though, unless the CD-R was poor quality or scratched then the laser may of suffered from a fatal strain. (that is no very likely)

As for the disc like I said try another game to boot from, the game itself should not matter but the quality of the original disc does matter

Also try and keep the region of the CD-R the same as the original discs

Tomb Raider if you just burned the bin file it will have issue no matter what you run it with, because it uses CDDA for music that is not burned if you burn direct from a bin

Also not any disc with a lower toc (less space of the disc used) than the target CD-R may also result in problems

CDDA games in general do not work correctly using a swap method anyway, unless you use the 3 swap method that can be tricky to do and even harder to explain, (goes something like boot with CD-R in [the discs toc is read] quickly hot swap to original, then back to the CD-R)

Tomb Raider crashed at the point it needed to read a CDDA track

Version 1.2 and 1.5 of Tomb Raider Greatest Hits do have EDC that would also prevent the game from working though your copy has just crashed at the point the CDDA should of been played

P.S. is there not a remake of the Tomb Raider for the PS2?

EDIT: thought there was it is called Tomb Raider: Anniversary, that is a remake of the original Tomb Raider, game play has been improved and extra puzzles added as well as more complex versions of the original puzzles, that game was also out on Wii and 360
    Last edited by Zorlon; 9th-December-2013 at 13:01.

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Zorlon For This Useful Post: