Thread: PSX problem with certain games?

Thanks

Default PSX problem with certain games?

Hi there, my name is Jake, and I just now joined these forums because whenever I try to look for an answer to my problems with certain emulation over the internet (I.E. Google, of course) I seem to have extremely bad luck in never exactly getting the right information that I need for my problem. So, I thought it'd be best to join and ask straight up myself what the problem is and how I'd like it explained to me.

I use PSXfin (What the file says anyways) and I love using it. A couple games on it work completely fine (cept' for Metal Gear Solid, that was painful) but games like MEGA MAN X4, Castlevania: SotN, and MEGA MAN X5 keep freezing (Also Dark Dizzy's stage is very slow). For example, the music will probably quit looping (most prominent in Castlevania...) loading screens won't appear, X or Zero won't do their victory pose and just sit there after a boss fight, and etc... However, all of these things (and I mean ALL of them) can be fixed by simply reopening the .bin or .cue file and the game continues just fine. (Humorously, I can skip X and Zero's victory poses that way...) But hay, that's no way to play a game now, is it? To keep constantly stopping to open a file just to keep the music going and the game to continue? Now there's gotta be some simple way to fix that. Well, I hope it's simple, anyways!

Now on the topic of how I'd like it explained... Truth be told, I am a cave man when it comes to computers (and emulators no less) I only know very basic bare-bones stuff. I know how to reach system specs, run an anti-virus program and fiddle around in MS Paint. But I don't know what a "MS9007+ DRIVER SLAG ERROR" is and how to fix it through long drawn out paragraphs using words I probably don't understand at all. I'm the kind of idiot who would probably end up deleting the wrong thing or pulling the wrong part of something and destroying it forever. (At least I get the System32 joke/meme and didn't need to find out the hard way...) If it's TRULY truly needed, I'll post my awful computer specs (this isn't even my PC, it's a hand-me-down that I'm stuck with for 2 months):

Operating System Version:
    Windows XP (32 bit)
    NTFS: Supported
    Crypto Provider Codes: Supported 311 0x0 0x0 0x0

Video Card:
    Driver: ATI Radeon 3100 Graphics

DirectX Driver Name: ati2dvag.dll
    Driver Version: 6.14.10.6860
    DirectX Driver Version: 6.14.10.6860
    Driver Date: 31 Dec 2002
    OpenGL Version: 2.1
    Desktop Color Depth: 32 bits per pixel
    Monitor Refresh Rate: 60 Hz
    DirectX Card: ATI Radeon 3100 Graphics
    VendorI 0x1002
    DeviceI 0x9611
    Number of Monitors: 1
    Number of Logical Video Cards: 1
    No SLI or Crossfire Detected
    Primary Display Resolution: 1024 x 768
    Desktop Resolution: 1024 x 768
    Primary Display Size: 14.17" x 10.63" (17.72" diag)
    36.0cm x 27.0cm (45.0cm diag)
    Primary Bus Type Not Detected
    Primary VRAM: 700 MB
    Supported MSAA Modes: 2x 4x

Sound card:
    Audio device: SoundMAX HD Audio

Memory:
    RAM: 1791 Mb

So yeah, that's... pretty much it. I'd just like to find out how to fix this issue so I can actually enjoy these games like they were an actual video game, not reopening .cue and .bin files all the time to keep going.

Forgot to mention that I tried ePSXe but that took up WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY too much processing space and just became a huge hassle.
    Last edited by Cookie Monster; 28th-November-2013 at 17:06. Reason: posts merged

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Switch back to ePSXe and just use P.E.oP's Soft Driver for your Video plugin

If you don't have the soft plugin get it from http://www.pbernert.com/html/gpu.htm

It is listed as P.E.Op.S. Soft GPU (Windows)

Keep everything on default for now except the Video plugin that you should of changed to P.E.oP's Soft Driver

Run it as normal File>Run ISO>select the cue file and hit Open

P.E.oP's Soft Driver, not only has the highest compat but will work on default settings for most games without having to fine tune it for every game, it is also the fastest plugin.

If your graphics card can handle it you can use Stretching settings like HQ2x stretched or HQ3x stretched to have smoother looking visuals (don't use the unstretched versions, you can see why if you test that with Castlevania) [If you want it closer to the original hardware then set the res to multiples of 320x240 so x2 that is 640x480 (good for HQ2x) or x3 960x720 (good for HQ3x)]

PSXfin is not a configurable emulator and only runs what it can run, not much can be done about it, the emulator is only great if you run games it can play without issue, otherwise it is very much sucky.

Note: from your specs I would of thought that OpenGL or Direct3D would run ok for now, maybe not OpenGL2 though, but I am guessing that the games don't use 3D graphics anyway, not played them all so that is a guess plus the HQ?x filters look nice even with 3D games.
    Last edited by Zorlon; 28th-November-2013 at 18:49.

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Zorlon View Post
    Switch back to ePSXe and just use P.E.oP's Soft Driver for your Video plugin

If you don't have the soft plugin get it from http://www.pbernert.com/html/gpu.htm

It is listed as P.E.Op.S. Soft GPU (Windows)

Keep everything on default for now except the Video plugin that you should of changed to P.E.oP's Soft Driver

Run it as normal File>Run ISO>select the cue file and hit Open

P.E.oP's Soft Driver, not only has the highest compat but will work on default settings for most games without having to fine tune it for every game, it is also the fastest plugin.

If your graphics card can handle it you can use Stretching settings like HQ2x stretched or HQ3x stretched to have smoother looking visuals (don't use the unstretched versions, you can see why if you test that with Castlevania) [If you want it closer to the original hardware then set the res to multiples of 320x240 so x2 that is 640x480 (good for HQ2x) or x3 960x720 (good for HQ3x)]

PSXfin is not a configurable emulator and only runs what it can run, not much can be done about it, the emulator is only great if you run games it can play without issue, otherwise it is very much sucky.

Note: from your specs I would of thought that OpenGL or Direct3D would run ok for now, maybe not OpenGL2 though, but I am guessing that the games don't use 3D graphics anyway, not played them all so that is a guess plus the HQ?x filters look nice even with 3D games.
    Which version of epsxe should I use then? The one I was using was 1.7 (I think? There was a 1 and a 7 in there... It's been so long) and that took up so much processing space that it made my computer lag up a serious storm. Even if it uses up a lot processing, I don't care, honestly. As long as the version you'd suggest to me runs games really well. In fact, the last version I used ran games way too quickly and the mega man games were way too slow. But honestly, I'm pretty sure the version I was using was too slow and the plugin I was using wasn't the right one(s) either. But I agree, PSX is pretty sucky minus the games that it CAN play well, which there are very few.

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

1.8.0 or 1.9.0 or even 1.6.0 (1.7.0 has a bug for multi disc games)

Just get the latest version or 1.6.0. (1.6.0 might be best for XP users though)

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks

1.8.0 or 1.9.0 or even 1.6.0 (1.7.0 has a bug for multi disc games)

Just get the latest version or 1.6.0. (1.6.0 might be best for XP users though)
    Alright, I tried it and it works better than the other one I used but... now there's no music. :C Which sound plugin should I get?

The sound plugins I tried were...

P.E.Op.S. DSound Audio Driver 1.9 (Sounds but no music whatsoever)
    ePSXe SPU core 1.5.2 (Same exact issue)
    Last edited by ZJrocket; 28th-November-2013 at 20:23.

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

What version did you get, also please do not double post, just edit your posts instead (look to the lower right of your posts for that )

Anyway make sure sound is enabled (first 3 options for sound under Configure>Sound 4th option is just for certain games, none of the ones you detailed, that's for ePSXe 1.6.0)

For CDDA sound tracks in ePSXe 1.6.0 you do need to mount the disc images with something Like Deamon Tools Lite.

You can try out 1.8.0 or 1.9.0 though as these can run from a cue sheet making D-Tools Lite or any other Virtual CD drive not to be needed for games with CDDA sound tracks, but those revisions of ePSXe are aimed at newer versions of Windows.

Default sound plugin should work though, as long as sound is enabled
    Last edited by Zorlon; 28th-November-2013 at 20:40.

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]

Thanks

What version did you get, also please do not double post, just edit your posts instead
    Oh, I am an IDIOTTTT... I didn't check-mark the third option like you just said. Now there's music... Good. My life is now complete and Christmas has meaning again, thank you sir.
    Last edited by ZJrocket; 28th-November-2013 at 20:36.

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

You are welcome

Any other issues though you are more than welcome to ask, ePSXe is easy enough to use, but it can seem daunting at first, specially if you start out with issues.

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]